best LS option for an international student?(poll added ) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

My best option if big law is my goal

GULC sticker
40%
GW 60k
10%
Vandy 80K
20%
UMN 105k
10%
WUSTL 90K
20%
W&M 45K
No votes

Total votes: 10

lxhyss

New

best LS option for an international student?(poll added )

Post by lxhyss » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Ok, here's something about me: foreigner from a non-English speaking country, never been to the States before so no ties anywhere, but with a strong desire to work in the US after graduation from law school, and hopefully it could be at least for several years or so if possible.

My parents will be my sponsors but they want to keep the budget low. At the same time, they want me to attend the best school possible(best in terms of the combination of prestige and job perspective).

I know websites like LST could be valuable information mines for employment data but I think they might not suit me well since the statistic on it took those who entered residency-necessary(in another word, foreigner-insular) jobs into account as well, which make sites like those less useful for me. So I'm here for help.

And here are my options at hand:

GULC(no money for their first round of scholarship consideration so probably at sticker)
GW(20k/y)
Vandy(25k/y+5k)
UMN(35K/y)
WUSTL(30K/y)
W&M(15k/y)
and a bulk of WL of other lower T14s

Desperate for advice here! Any input will be appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by lxhyss on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Re: Thoughts on the best LS option for an international student?

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:55 pm

If you're not a US citizen, GT seems like the only choice. I'd try to aim even higher (since GT's biglaw placement is lackluster and you may need biglaw to pay off whatever debt you will have).

Remember that there will be an extra challenge of performing well enough that a company will agree to sponsor your visa. Because of that, I probably wouldn't depart from the T-14 because then it starts to get a lot riskier (not that GT isn't already pretty risky :( ).

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:56 pm

if you get $$$, Vandy

lxhyss

New

Post by lxhyss » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:If you're not a US citizen, GT seems like the only choice. I'd try to aim even higher (since GT's biglaw placement is lackluster and you may need biglaw to pay off whatever debt you will have).

Remember that there will be an extra challenge of performing well enough that a company will agree to sponsor your visa. Because of that, I probably wouldn't depart from the T-14 because then it starts to get a lot riskier (not that GT isn't already pretty risky :( ).
So my best option would be pray for the mercy of the schools that WLed me?

lxhyss

New

Post by lxhyss » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40 am

Dr. Dre wrote:if you get $$$, Vandy
Thanks, but could you explain why?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lxhyss

New

Re: best LS option for an international student?(poll added )

Post by lxhyss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:25 am

Just got some update about money and also added a poll!

Help me ALMIGHTY TLS!!!!

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 am

Gosh--I'd be scared of any of these if I were you. The whole no-ties thing will work against you, and at best you're getting a 30% or so chance at Big Law from Vanderbilt/Georgetown. Because you're an international you're pretty much going to have to get Big Law to get someone to sponsor your visa, so you're right in saying that those numbers about PI, Gov't, and Clerkships don't really apply to you. Not sure how good your English is, but that could also be another thing working against you in interviews.

I know it's mentioned constantly on here, but I think you should retake. Saw you got a 169--was that on your first shot? If you can raise that above a 170, you're looking at Vandy for free, GULC w/ some money, and depending on how high you bump up that LSAT, other T-14s with $$ or you could even consider NU's ED which comes with a (near) full-ride.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:15 am

M458 wrote:Because you're an international you're pretty much going to have to get Big Law to get someone to sponsor your visa
this is a very underappreciated point by international students. they're at a severe disadvantage because of the visa/sponsor issue. Notn only do you pretty much need biglaw, you need to convince them that you're worth sponsoring. Take a look at the NLJ250 placement of a school, round down, and consider that a hard cutoff.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:25 am

You really need to investigate the likelihood of getting s firm to sponsor you. There are no International students working in any of the major departments of my biglaw firm in New York. There a couple of people here and there on specific things, but I think the deal is that they are going back to the office located in their home country. I don't know a single one of them.

I don't think this sponsorship is prevalent. I honestly don't know why a firm would go to the trouble and expense of hiring someone who had visa issues. There are more than enough qualified grads. If they need local language skills or local expertise, they simply hire excellent local counsel.

You need to find out about the potential for working as a lawyer in the US because I think it is low. I am not sure how to find these numbers. You may be able to find someone to keep you on for a year. But after that I think it will be difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 am

If you could get GT, couldn't you get NW, Duke, Cornell, maybe even Penn? Those give your a better shot at biglaw.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:39 am

lxhyss wrote: GULC(no money for their first round of scholarship consideration so probably at sticker)
GW(20k/y)
Vandy(25k/y+5k)
UMN(35K/y)
WUSTL(30K/y)
W&M(15k/y)
and a bulk of WL of other lower T14s
No don't do it

Please don't do it

-Drake

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”