New LST Score Reports c/o 2012 TODAY Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rad lulz

Platinum

New LST Score Reports c/o 2012 TODAY

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:50 am

jenesaislaw wrote:BREAKING: LST will release the new version of the Score Reports as soon as the ABA Section of Legal Education publishes data from the class of 2012 (estimate, early to mid April).

UPDATE:
jenesaislaw wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:FYI to whoever is collecting/inputting data. All ABA data will be out very soon. So soon that I wouldn't bother doing anymore work.
how soon?
Tomorrow. LST will be updated tomorrow morning with all the new data too.
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Crowing

Gold

Re: New LST Score Reports c/o 2012 Waiting Thread

Post by Crowing » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 am

Man it's too soon for this this shit isn't gonna be carrying steam for 2 months.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:53 am

Crowing wrote:Man it's too soon for this this shit isn't gonna be carrying steam for 2 months.
I'll bump this errday

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:25 am

Haha, well done raz. I'll take questions about it and we are still open for improvements too.

PS just so people don't think that OP quote is too crazy, I was joking and it was the middle of the night.
Last edited by jenesaislaw on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 am

jenesaislaw wrote:Haha, well done raz. I'll take questions about it and we are still open for improvements too.
LST long sleeve pocket Ts

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 am

Lol this is really early

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 am

lawschoolnumbers.com

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:Haha, well done raz. I'll take questions about it and we are still open for improvements too.
I would rock that. IN.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
I would rock that. IN.
If you sell those for $20 (tax deductible contribution) you will make a profit for LST.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
I would rock that. IN.
If you sell those for $20 (tax deductible contribution) you will make a profit for LST.
Boy do we need money. If somebody wants to spearhead this project, I will be so grateful.

Edit: Derek (Research Director) suggested we do what NPR does, which is to offer coffee mugs/water bottles for free when somebody makes a sufficiently large donation. Much more palatable from our perspective than clothing, which may seem tacky to some.
Last edited by jenesaislaw on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Stanford to 100% employment

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 pm

I could see how clothing could be tacky, but if part of your target demographic is law students, you know as well as I do that people love shirts.

I'd suggest koozies, but that may be too much.

Hell I'll spearhead that effort. What the hell else do I have to do.

Edit: I know nothing about nonprofits and I assumed that law students were part of the target

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:01 pm

I would wear an LST long-sleeve pocket tee.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Someone should send a whole boxful of mugs to GW students, with the caveat that they have to bring them to class and all functions. #schoolfundedjobs

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Can we expect any change in the way the geographic score reports are presented? I find the current format confusing, and I think listing by % of grads employed in the state might be better. For Texas the first school listed is Ave Maria, which only has a 33% employment score, and doesn't seem like a good choice for anyone regardless of location!

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:56 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Can we expect any change in the way the geographic score reports are presented? I find the current format confusing, and I think listing by % of grads employed in the state might be better. For Texas the first school listed is Ave Maria, which only has a 33% employment score, and doesn't seem like a good choice for anyone regardless of location!
Here is how I feel about this: sigh.

In short, no, not this year. You have indeed identified something important, but the current state of things (in our opinion) is better than it would be if we by default sorted by Employment Score, Cost, % in the location, or any of the other metrics. Two reasons.

First, we don't want this to look like a ranking. You can sort all you want, but the default presentation is alphabetical to avoid the appearance of rankings and to make people engage with the data. (Plus, you probably realized quickly that Ave Maria is NOT a good choice for Texas lawyering, which means it achieved its goal in engaging you the reader.)

Second, the % employed in the state is the % in ANY job employed in the state. Because we deal with such small samples already, who knows what that 6.8% is for Ave Maria in Texas. This is a flaw with the Score Reports, one I want to solve someday, but one we're living with in the meantime.

I am open to reasons why the % employed in the state would be a good default sort with those two reasons in mind, however.

nolongermissing

New

Post by nolongermissing » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:09 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Can we expect any change in the way the geographic score reports are presented? I find the current format confusing, and I think listing by % of grads employed in the state might be better. For Texas the first school listed is Ave Maria, which only has a 33% employment score, and doesn't seem like a good choice for anyone regardless of location!
Here is how I feel about this: sigh.

In short, no, not this year. You have indeed identified something important, but the current state of things (in our opinion) is better than it would be if we by default sorted by Employment Score, Cost, % in the location, or any of the other metrics. Two reasons.

First, we don't want this to look like a ranking. You can sort all you want, but the default presentation is alphabetical to avoid the appearance of rankings and to make people engage with the data. (Plus, you probably realized quickly that Ave Maria is NOT a good choice for Texas lawyering, which means it achieved its goal in engaging you the reader.)

Second, the % employed in the state is the % in ANY job employed in the state. Because we deal with such small samples already, who knows what that 6.8% is for Ave Maria in Texas. This is a flaw with the Score Reports, one I want to solve someday, but one we're living with in the meantime.

I am open to reasons why the % employed in the state would be a good default sort with those two reasons in mind, however.
makes sense

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:41 am

when do school's release the numbers, early/mid April is when most deposits are due

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 am

cooldude87 wrote:when do school's release the numbers, early/mid April is when most deposits are due
Schools must have their 2012 data posted by March 31st.

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:45 am

jenesaislaw wrote:
cooldude87 wrote:when do school's release the numbers, early/mid April is when most deposits are due
Schools must have their 2012 data posted by March 31st.
ok thanks, you guys work pretty fast then

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:02 am

Yeah, it helps a ton that I'm a programmer. Without it, it'd be a lot slower I think.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thand42292

New

Post by thand42292 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:39 am

jenesaislaw wrote:Yeah, it helps a ton that I'm a programmer. Without it, it'd be a lot slower I think.
First of all, let me just say LST Score Reports is the best thing since slice bread.

Secondly, if the school funded jobs aren't counted among in the employment score with an asterix, do you generally place it in the under-employment category?

Thanks for creating something cool, much respect.

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
I would rock that. IN.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:17 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If you sell those for $20 (tax deductible contribution) you will make a profit for LST.
Boy do we need money. If somebody wants to spearhead this project, I will be so grateful.

Edit: Derek (Research Director) suggested we do what NPR does, which is to offer coffee mugs/water bottles for free when somebody makes a sufficiently large donation. Much more palatable from our perspective than clothing, which may seem tacky to some.
Do you have your 501(c)(3)? On your website I only see that you are incorporated as a non-profit. Unfortunately, even if you were a 501(c)(3), I am pretty sure people wouldn't be able to deduct $20 they gave you for a shirt (maybe they could deduct $20 - the FMV of the shirt) for the same reason that you don't get to deduct the price of T-shirt you buy at the museum store of a non-profit museum. That's probably why giving people free items upon donation was suggested instead. Also, I think that if you were selling T-shirts, depending on how substantial a part of your activities it was, you could be taxed on it because it would be unrelated business income (if you are a 501(c)(3)).

I realize I should've said earlier that I don't intend to provide legal advice. I have done pro bono transactional work for non-profits. PM me if you would like more info or to get in touch with the people who do this.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:04 am

tag

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”