Rutgers v Seton Hall Part-Time Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
relias

New

Rutgers v Seton Hall Part-Time

Post by relias » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:21 am

Currently working as a paralegal on a corporate litigation team in Jersey and have been accepted part-time to both Rutgers and Seton Hall. My job has told me as long as I don't fail out, they would happy to take me on as an associate with a 6 figure starting salary, so luckily I am going into this knowing I will have a solid salary coming out. I attended both open houses and preferred Seton Hall, but I would save around $10,000 a year by attending Rutgers. My inclination is to just avoid debt as much as possible, but Seton Hall appeared to have better networking opportunities and a more organized and efficient administration. Any thoughts?

usfvictor

Bronze

Re: Rutgers v Seton Hall Part-Time

Post by usfvictor » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 am

Even though your firm has said that, keep in mind that can change. With that said, I'd go with Rutgers to keep costs down.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Is that job offer in writing? We've heard too many stories of these types of job offers mysteriously vanishing come hiring time.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Rutgers. There is no difference between the two in terms of rep and you already have a job lined up. Saving 40K + interest is significant.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Is that job offer in writing? We've heard too many stories of these types of job offers mysteriously vanishing come hiring time.
+1. Get it in writing or it's a bit of a risk. Also why are you concerned with things like networking opportunities if you have a lined up job? Very odd.

Are you going PT so that you can keep working at this firm? If so then I guess these schools aren't terrible ideas. Go to wherever is cheaper.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 am

Rutgers and it is not even close (try to play them off each other for increased scholarships though....ie, negotiate for a higher scholarships one w the scholarship from the other). The reason Rutgers wins is bc it is cheaper but more importantly seton hall has a terrible reputation. Rutgers, while not great, is respectable.

I also agree w the others that you should be skeptical of the likelihood of your firm promising you an associate positions three or four years from now. In this economy you would need to be in the top 10-20% of your class at Rutgers or SH to have a shot at an associate position. If you fail to meet the cutoff (especially if by a big margin like if you end up in the middle of the class) the firm may very well say tough shit. This has happened to many people. There's also the possibility that the firm merges and new management takes over or that an important partner in your group leaves and business dries up in your department so they don't need new hires or whatever...the pt is lots can happen in 3-4 yrs so go to a school you would feel comfortable w the prospects from assuming you don't get an associate position at your current firm. In making that assessment assume that you will be at best in the middle of the class (one reason relying on the associate position is risky).

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:30 am

I would be very, very wary of any alleged promises. As the above posters said, get it in writing. The firm probably won't want to give it to you in writing, which should not surprise you.
It is also relevant who promised you. The hiring partner? The managing partner? Your practice group leader? A partner you work with? Consider the influence of the person who promised it.
This does happen often, unfortunately. Make sure it's not just something they are saying to get four years of great work product from you as a paralegal and then just leave you hanging.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:34 am

ImNoScar wrote:I would be very, very wary of any alleged promises. As the above posters said, get it in writing. The firm probably won't want to give it to you in writing, which should not surprise you.
It is also relevant who promised you. The hiring partner? The managing partner? Your practice group leader? A partner you work with? Consider the influence of the person who promised it.
This does happen often, unfortunately. Make sure it's not just something they are saying to get four years of great work product from you as a paralegal and then just leave you hanging.
+1

Imagine the partner leaves, retires, or dies. Where does that leave you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”