IUB vs. Wisconsin vs. UFlorida

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you pick?

IUB
25%
Wisconsin
25%
UF
50%

Total votes: 8

Suzy_29

IUB vs. Wisconsin vs. UFlorida

Postby Suzy_29 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:33 am

I am getting money from both IUB and Wisconsin, UF is currently pending. However irregardless I will have the exact same debt as my parents will cover what my loans don't. It's a little different in that there is a maximum amount as I am canadian. Overall debt will not go above 60k in bank loans and 30k in government loans.

I have heard nothing from canadian law schools as of right now so that is a consideration for a later time. My parents also have a lot of real estate in Florida and plan to eventually spend every winter there once they hit retirement. I am not sure if that counts as ties.

I don't really have a preference of where I would like to work, I merely want to go where the market will be easiest to crack. Retake is also not an option (already three times), and being a lawyer has been my life goal since I was 5 so I'm willing to take the risk to achieve it (as apparently are my parents).

Thanks!

nebula666

Re: IUB vs. Wisconsin vs. UFlorida

Postby nebula666 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 am

Pick whichever one is in the place you would rather work. I'd rule out UF unless it is as cheap or cheaper than the other two.

Also, irregardless isn't a word.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 am

I'm not doing your math. What would be total cost of attendance and indebtedness at each

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 am

your family having real estate in florida isnt a tie. A lot of people have real estate in florida. Plus, plans do change, and your parents may decide to retire somewhere else ina few years ( like, say, north carolina or california). So, it might not be in your best interets to pick a school based on the foreseeabilty of your parents retirment. But if you are dead set with that, then ignore that previous sentence.

I honestly would figure out where you want to work, and then go there. If all else is euqal, go to the cheapest school. But only do this when you have heard back from all schools. Of the three you mentioned, I would go with IUB or WIsc- as there are a ton of schools in florida.

best of luck

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:57 am

Why not University of Canada? There have to be more jobs in Canada than the US.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54 am

nebula666 wrote:

Suzy_29

Postby Suzy_29 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for the responses! To answer a few questions, total CoA that I will be responsible for is 90k. All of which fortunately is dischargeable and with 60k as a line of credit with ~4% interest, so outside of 1% per month there is no set repay schedule.

I only hesitate with IUB because it is in a smaller market with Notre Dame, and a lot of its grads seem to leave back to their home states. I have no ties anywhere so not much of an option there. I also read somewhere a ND grad having issues with how insular Indiana is. Florida looking on law school reports seems better at placing grads into law firms larger than 10 than say wisconsin, and is one of the best law schools in the state. Wisconsin I have reservations about due as well to insularity.

I could of course be way off on my perceptions of the markets, which is why I am asking! Canadian Law schools are still silent at the moment, with my GPA there is a good chance I won't get in or not receive a decision until June. As such I do need to figure out where to place a deposit in April.

Thanks!

Edit: got scholly offer from UF today, this will make COA the exact same across the three schools. My debt however remains the same.

UF2015

Postby UF2015 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am

If you don't have real ties to Florida, I would think long and hard about coming here.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:43 pm

UF2015 wrote:If you don't have real ties to Florida, I would think long and hard about coming here.

Yep

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 pm

At the same time, the Midwest markets are very insular. I would just not go. Or wait until you are eligible for a 4th take.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 pm

UF2015 wrote:If you don'tEven if you do have real ties to Florida, I would think long and hard about coming here.

FTFY

Suzy_29

Postby Suzy_29 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks for the input guys! I think I will just put a deposit down at Florida if Canadian schools are still silent by mid April and hope one of them will take me. :|

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:11 pm

cinephile wrote:
nebula666 wrote:

But irregardlessly is.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”