LMU to Bay Area Firm?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mkelly
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:22 pm

LMU to Bay Area Firm?

Postby mkelly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:13 pm

I got a 30k/yr scholarship to Loyola Law but I know I want to work in the Silicon Valley in a mid sized firm after graduation.

How hard would it be to come back to the SV after having gone to LMU?

K Rock
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: LMU to Bay Area Firm?

Postby K Rock » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Are you from there originally / what ties do you have to the area?

Also, what is the stipulation on your scholarship?

mkelly
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: LMU to Bay Area Firm?

Postby mkelly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:41 pm

I am from the bay area and I do have a few connections to a few firms.

The stipulation is top 50% of the class.

K Rock
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: LMU to Bay Area Firm?

Postby K Rock » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Did you apply to Hastings / Davis? What would be your total cost of attendance at LMU? If you can go for super cheap it might not be a horrible choice on the condition that you drop out if you lose your scholarship?

akasabian
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: LMU to Bay Area Firm?

Postby akasabian » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 pm

K Rock wrote:Did you apply to Hastings / Davis? What would be your total cost of attendance at LMU? If you can go for super cheap it might not be a horrible choice on the condition that you drop out if you lose your scholarship?

You can also try Santa Clara. I know it is on the lower end compared to other schools in the region but it has decent Silicon Valley connections as well as being gracious with financial aid.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: LMU to Bay Area Firm?

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:48 pm

akasabian wrote:
K Rock wrote:Did you apply to Hastings / Davis? What would be your total cost of attendance at LMU? If you can go for super cheap it might not be a horrible choice on the condition that you drop out if you lose your scholarship?

You can also try Santa Clara. I know it is on the lower end compared to other schools in the region but it has decent Silicon Valley connections as well as being gracious with financial aid.


SCU is not gracious with financial aid at all. Out of 152 scholarships, 140 had stipulations attached:

http://law.scu.edu/financialaid/scholar ... n-data.cfm

60% of those were reduced/eliminated after the first year.

akasabian
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: LMU to Bay Area Firm?

Postby akasabian » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
akasabian wrote:
K Rock wrote:Did you apply to Hastings / Davis? What would be your total cost of attendance at LMU? If you can go for super cheap it might not be a horrible choice on the condition that you drop out if you lose your scholarship?

You can also try Santa Clara. I know it is on the lower end compared to other schools in the region but it has decent Silicon Valley connections as well as being gracious with financial aid.


SCU is not gracious with financial aid at all. Out of 152 scholarships, 140 had stipulations attached:

http://law.scu.edu/financialaid/scholar ... n-data.cfm

60% of those were reduced/eliminated after the first year.



Ouch...didn't realize that they were terrible with stips.
Yea that hurts, might as well go to UCD or Hastings at that point.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests