Emory (70K) vs. UF in state (26k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alwayssunnyinfl

Re: Emory (70K) vs. UF in state (26k)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
I was merely saying that if he despite knowing that sawing off his left or right leg isn't "right" (whatever right means in this context), and he still does not care to put the saw down, who is to tell him otherwise other than give him instructions on what leg it would be more beneficial to be cut if he feels he has to.

You're in the wrong field. You should totally be a psychologist.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
I was merely saying that if he despite knowing that sawing off his left or right leg isn't "right" (whatever right means in this context), and he still does not care to put the saw down, who is to tell him otherwise other than give him instructions on what leg it would be more beneficial to be cut if he feels he has to.

I'm just pro-choice. No one here is unintelligent. We can all make our own decisions without having someone trying to force their opinions down our throats, even if they are well thought out and informed opinions. As stated before, I have seriously considered this advice myself.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:No one here is unintelligent.

Some people are

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=198131

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:43 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:

I'm just pro-choice. No one here is unintelligent. We can all make our own decisions without having someone trying to force their opinions down our throats, even if they are well thought out and informed opinions. As stated before, I have seriously considered this advice myself.

We don't know the extent of how much the OP "knows" or what extra information would help. For example, OP did not say he knew the LST stats for these schools, or the salary statistics, etc. If OP wants to come to TLS and post a thread asking for advice then he has opened the door. You're not a mod, and it's not your right to tell others what they can and can't say in reply.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:16 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:

We don't know the extent of how much the OP "knows" or what extra information would help. For example, OP did not say he knew the LST stats for these schools, or the salary statistics, etc. If OP wants to come to TLS and post a thread asking for advice then he has opened the door. You're not a mod, and it's not your right to tell others what they can and can't say in reply.

Lol. I didn't know you had to be a mod to have an opinion. But, I'll keep that in mind.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:23 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
Lol. I didn't know you had to be a mod to have an opinion. But, I'll keep that in mind.

Read my comment again. It's hypocritical to tell people that you're "pro-choice" but that they shouldn't exercise their choice to tell OP if they think these law schools are bad investments at this price.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:34 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:

Read my comment again. It's hypocritical to tell people that you're "pro-choice" but that they shouldn't exercise their choice to tell OP if they think these law schools are bad investments at this price.

You should re-read my posts as well. I have no problem with giving information that law schools are a bad investment. My point was (and perhaps it did not happen in this thread yet), often times when giving advice, it becomes more of shoving it down the OP's throat even if the advice had been acknowledged.

I reserve my right to comment on the fact that simply presenting information instead of trying to force-feed it works just as well.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:59 pm

UF. That is all.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 pm

usfvictor wrote:UF. That is all.

Paying back over 100k of debt (with interest) with a 50k job seems pretty miserable.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:

You should re-read my posts as well. I have no problem with giving information that law schools are a bad investment. My point was (and perhaps it did not happen in this thread yet), often times when giving advice, it becomes more of shoving it down the OP's throat even if the advice had been acknowledged.

I reserve my right to comment on the fact that simply presenting information instead of trying to force-feed it works just as well.

That's not what you were saying:

icanbeohyes wrote:I was merely saying that if he despite knowing that sawing off his left or right leg isn't "right" (whatever right means in this context), and he still does not care to put the saw down, who is to tell him otherwise other than give him instructions on what leg it would be more beneficial to be cut if he feels he has to.

That doesn't really sound like a comment, more of a scolding or a command.

Still, you haven't answered my question. How do we know OP is actually informed? Are we to assume without evidence that people who come to TLS looking for information somehow have informed themselves already?

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Does anyone know how LST is calculating the cost of living for UF? They say it's $127,000 total. That is where I am getting my $100,000 figure from. The Levin website says it is about 15k per year. If that is right then the total cost of attendance is about $75,000.

I am very adamant about going to law school. I am not confused about the state of the legal market or how bad it is in Florida. I only made this thread to see if Emory has something that I'm not seeing.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Drummingreg wrote:Does anyone know how LST is calculating the cost of living for UF? They say it's $127,000 total. That is where I am getting my $100,000 figure from. The Levin website says it is about 15k per year. If that is right then the total cost of attendance is about $75,000.

I am very adamant about going to law school. I am not confused about the state of the legal market or how bad it is in Florida. I only made this thread to see if Emory has something that I'm not seeing.

Double post.
Last edited by Ruxin1 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Drummingreg wrote:Does anyone know how LST is calculating the cost of living for UF? They say it's $127,000 total. That is where I am getting my $100,000 figure from. The Levin website says it is about 15k per year. If that is right then the total cost of attendance is about $75,000.

I believe school sites only account for the 9 months you'll be at school and not the year. And don't forget the 8% interest accruing.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

Paying back over 100k of debt (with interest) with a 50k job seems pretty miserable.

just answering the question OP posed. i think he has enough feedback on the pros/cons :lol:

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

It's a $1200/mo payment on the 10 year plan. Doable, but doesn't leave a lot of breathing room especially if the 50K job doesn't come with benefits.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:15 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

It's a $1200/mo payment on the 10 year plan. Doable, but doesn't leave a lot of breathing room especially if the 50K job doesn't come with benefits.

lol

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:16 pm

You could probably calculate your own cost of attendance easily. Obviously it is going to cost a different amount for each person. Do you have a $200 car payment? What about insurance, phone bills, etc? I spend $15,000 per year just in rent, utilities, and food/gas alone. That doesn't include any of my other bills. If you know that you will walk to school and only spend $50/week on food, split an apartment and pay $250 in rent, and your parents are still paying for your car, cell phone, and medical insurance, your cost of living will be significantly less than mine. I would just do your own calculations-- just don't forget to include the possibility of needing a new laptop, shoes, etc. (Miscellaneous).

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

I believe school sites only account for the 9 months you'll be at school and not the year. And don't forget the 8% interest accruing.

That makes sense.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:27 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:

You could probably calculate your own cost of attendance easily. Obviously it is going to cost a different amount for each person. Do you have a $200 car payment? What about insurance, phone bills, etc? I spend $15,000 per year just in rent, utilities, and food/gas alone. That doesn't include any of my other bills. If you know that you will walk to school and only spend $50/week on food, split an apartment and pay $250 in rent, and your parents are still paying for your car, cell phone, and medical insurance, your cost of living will be significantly less than mine. I would just do your own calculations-- just don't forget to include the possibility of needing a new laptop, shoes, etc. (Miscellaneous).

$250 in rent? I split a house 5 ways and I am still paying $400. I guess if there were bunk beds involved... That's good advice though.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Drummingreg wrote:$250 in rent? I split a house 5 ways and I am still paying $400. I guess if there were bunk beds involved... That's good advice though.

Oh, I don't know, lol. I toured a few three bedrooms that were going for like $900-1000 so I just figured it was cheap. I was just trying to show the extreme difference between each student (a roommate situation vs. someone who has a 2 bedroom to themselves) and the benefit of calculating your own cost of living in each place :).

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

lol

eesshhh its crazy when you use numbers to make a point!! :D

Return to “Choosing a Law School”