How Far Does Non-T14 Degree Mobility Reach?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jwinaz

How Far Does Non-T14 Degree Mobility Reach?

Postby jwinaz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 am

Hey guys,

I do understand that traditionally the only degrees with national mobility are the T14-ish types of degrees, but am wondering just how far a strong regional would go?

More, specifically, would a flagship regional school only be "good" in one state or could it have influence in multiple neigbhoring states.

I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia, for example, and suppose I attended Washington & Lee or William & Mary (I know UVA is the top school and a T14, but putting it aside), would these two schools have any clout in, say, North Carolina or Maryland?

I assumed that non-flagship type AND non-T14 schools would only be good within that state (e.g. Regent in Virginia), but what of flagship, non-T14 (and T1) schools?

I hope this makes sense, but feel free to let me know if I need to clarify. Thanks everyone.
Last edited by jwinaz on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Re: How Far Does Non-T14 Degree Mobility Reach?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 am

Sounds possible, but if you really want to know look at firm bios of freshly hired associates in MD and NC. And ignore them if they went to UG in the states they work in.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:09 am

let me preface this by saying ima 0l...

but personally i think it depends on the school, and self selection. For example a UCLA/USC grad would prob go for a job in cali rather than NY, however law review and top 25% would prob be good enough to get a job at a NY law firm, even though those are strong schools in Cali. Other schools, such as Vanderbilt, might have more reach, while Utexas, while considered great (and the best in texas) would have most students self select to stay in texas, simply because of how prestigious UT is in texas. So it prob boils down to grades,and actual recognition of the school....the average person might hear university of virginia, and Vanderbilt, and think Vanderbilt is the better school, simply because it is a more recognizable name, than UoV (outside of virginia)

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 am

It doesn't matter what the average person thinks. The average person isn't giving you a legal job.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”