2014 Rankings Released

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
megagnarley

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby megagnarley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Is ABA dating coming with the rankings? That is all I care about.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 pm

megagnarley wrote:Is ABA dating coming with the rankings? That is all I care about.

Nope.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Is ABA dating coming with the rankings? That is all I care about.

Nope.

April?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 pm

megagnarley wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Nope.

April?

I think that's when it is

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:You watch, their LSAT median will jump to 167 next year so they can keep with the surrounding schools.

Yeah that would be incredibly difficult. They probably struggle for the 165.

2012Lsatscore wrote:Nah, with the new ranking and their recruitment tactics they will have no problem. They are a splitters paradise!

Lemme guess. You plan to attend Bama? Good school but put the kool-aid down. People would have to start picking Bama over Duke and Vandy for Bama to hold a 167 median. Considering there are few people who want to work in the state of Alabama I do not think this is going to happen. Yes, I know, top 10% can get Atlanta. That doesn't change anything.

Maybe if they hold a T25 rank for ten strait years things will slightly change.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
99.9luft wrote:where in the ranking equation is the alumni base and how much is it weighed? i thought the reputation, clerking, jobs, LSAT/GPA medians, faculty ratio, etc. are more important...but I may not remember the formula well enough.

I know UCI has decent LSAT/GPA medians, but, how much reputation can a school started in 2009 really have? Also, there's no jobs as of yet, as far as I know, since I think the first class graduates this year. Lots of unknowns.

I was mostly just poking fun. UCI could be a decent law school in the future. Right now, I'm too hesitant. I say it starts upper TT, maybe.

First class already graduated.
Edit: guess I can't link directly to a particular school, but you can look it up from there

zman

Postby zman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:05 pm

UCI's median is 165 right now. they had 167 their first and maybe their second class but that was they were offering full and half rides and had smaller class sizes.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:06 pm

99.9luft wrote:Don't remember how much the medians are weighed in the ranking formula but check our Davis's and UCI's medians.

UCD: 160/165 3.38/3.71
UCI: 162/167 3.29/3.68

AND the medians for the class entering this fall are higher (source: UCI admissions staff) than the ones for last year's class
AND the medians for next year's class will most likely be (Chem hinted at this, IIRC) even higher (since that class will count for the 2015 rankings)

I highly doubt that UCD's huge class size, shitty job placement, and an alumni base will end up playing a more important role in next year's rankings, thereby placing UCD higher than UCI.

I think it's 12.5% and 10%
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/articles/2012/03/12/methodology-law-school-rankings

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Eh, UCI is just too much of a wild card in a terrible legal market. Their NLJ 250 placement according to that link was decent (23%) but they only had a graduating class of 56. That means only 13 people got one of these firms. Not exactly a huge or impressive showing unless the rest of the class self-selected into other jobs.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:09 pm

mrizza wrote:Edit: guess I can't link directly to a particular school, but you can look it up from there

23.21% in NLJ250. Class size is small, however.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:11 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Eh, UCI is just too much of a wild card in a terrible legal market. Their NLJ 250 placement according to that link was decent (23%) but they only had a graduating class of 56. That means only 13 people got one of these firms. Not exactly a huge or impressive showing unless the rest of the class self-selected into other jobs.

Well, a third of the class got federal clerkships. Considering more than half their class got highly desired outcomes when the school is pushing for public interest is pretty impressive(granted the class size was only 56 like you said which takes away from it).

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Eh, UCI is just too much of a wild card in a terrible legal market. Their NLJ 250 placement according to that link was decent (23%) but they only had a graduating class of 56. That means only 13 people got one of these firms. Not exactly a huge or impressive showing unless the rest of the class self-selected into other jobs.

Well, a third of the class got federal clerkships. Considering more than half their class got highly desired outcomes when the school is pushing for public interest is pretty impressive(granted the class size was only 56 like you said which takes away from it).

Yeah. 27ish good outcomes looks INCREDIBLE now, but how large can the market for UCI grads really be? I expected that these percentages are going to tank once they start spitting out hundreds of grads a year.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Dmini7 wrote:

As long as they keep class sizes small, that's a pretty good option then. But will they?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:

As long as they keep class sizes small, that's a pretty good option then. But will they?

So far, they've increased it to 119. I don't know what they're aiming for this year.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:

So far, they've increased it to 119. I don't know what they're aiming for this year.

I am visiting wednesday so I could find out, but I am pretty sure there goal was to keep it at ~120.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 pm

true re it being a wild card, but let's remember that only half of their class did OCI.

Same goes for UCI's 2nd ever year's class (i think 89 total) - half of them did OCI (30-40) and 24 got offers. This data is not out of my 0l ass, but from an actual UCI student, FWIW. Next year's class will be ~130, so, sure it probably won't be at 23% NLJ250 placement but if half of it does OCI (~65 ppl), that's still way smaller than the OCI competition at Davis and Hastings, even given that more firms show up to those.
Last edited by 99.9luft on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Dmini7 wrote:

Eleven got federal clerkships (19%).

http://www.uci.edu/features/2011/12/fea ... 111212.php

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 pm

99.9luft wrote:

true re it being a wild card, but let's remember that only half of their class did OCI.

Same goes for UCI's 2nd ever year's class (i think 89 total) - half of them did OCI (30-40) and 24 got offers. This data is not out of my 0l ass, but from an actual UCI student, FWIW. Next year's class will be ~130, so, sure if half of it does OCI (~65 ppl), that's still way smaller than the OCI competition at Davis and Hastings, even given that more firms show up to those.

The calculation was different when they were offering full rides. How much money would you pay to be one of the lucky 24 standing in a room of 40 people?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
mrizza wrote:Edit: guess I can't link directly to a particular school, but you can look it up from there

Right, but even if it drops to half that, it would be around 34 for that ranking. However, this is also a school with a very strong PI focus so that rank isn't even focusing on what Chemerinsky is guiding them towards. Their clerkship numbers were also an incredibly high %. The point is UCI is very clearly a T1. It will probably start at USNWR 35-45 IMO, calling it a TTT is ridiculous. Telling people to go to USD/loyola over it is also ridiculous.
Last edited by Cobretti on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:

Even if they keep it at that, it still wouldn't be too bad. 25% of your class getting fed clerkships or NLJ250 is T25 territory.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Its all a hoax! - Student at UIUC!

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 pm

mrizza wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

Right, but even if it drops to half that, it would be around 34 for that ranking. However, this is also a school with a very strong PI focus so that rank isn't even focusing on what Chemerinsky is guiding them towards. Their clerkship numbers were also an incredibly high %. The point is UCI is very clearly a T1. It will probably start at USNWR 35-45 IMO, calling it a TTT is ridiculous. Telling people to go to USD/loyola over it is also ridiculous.[/quote]

this is why me loves Rizza

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:

Eleven got federal clerkships (19%).

http://www.uci.edu/features/2011/12/fea ... 111212.php

You are absolutely right. My apologies. It looks like I was wrong on the amount for clerkships too. Apparently it was only 25%, for some reason I could have sworn it was a third...

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:21 pm

mrizza wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

Right, but even if it drops to half that, it would be around 34 for that ranking. However, this is also a school with a very strong PI focus so that rank isn't even focusing on what Chemerinsky is guiding them towards. Their clerkship numbers were also an incredibly high %. The point is UCI is very clearly a T1. It will probably start at USNWR 35-45 IMO, calling it a TTT is ridiculous. Telling people to go to USD/loyola over it is also ridiculous.

Oh, I didn't realize people were saying that. Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous.

Take a chance on UCI if you like Orange County / have connections in Southern California. Do not go there if you're from North Carolina and think you want to have a job in LA.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:22 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
mrizza wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize people were saying that. Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous.

Take a chance on UCI if you like Orange County / have connections in Southern California. Do not go there if you're from North Carolina and think you want to have a job in LA.

+1 to this. Hence my dilemma on UCI/USC (Although, I don't know how much money I will get at USC if I get any at all).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”