2014 Rankings Released

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
btp wrote:What is the story with UIUC and this "gaming" everyone is speaking of? Is it one of those things where everyone probably does it, but UIUC were the only ones to get caught? I know Baylor got in trouble a while back, but I don't know the stories behind these schools.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/another- ... -in-a-lie/

What were the numbers? I remember 164 fudged to 167.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Oh hey another one . Hi guys how's the per-shit-show going :lol:

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
btp wrote:What is the story with UIUC and this "gaming" everyone is speaking of? Is it one of those things where everyone probably does it, but UIUC were the only ones to get caught? I know Baylor got in trouble a while back, but I don't know the stories behind these schools.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/another- ... -in-a-lie/

What were the numbers? I remember 164 fudged to 167.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012 ... lsat-score

Never mind. Holy shit it was a 163, 3.71 and they reported a 168, 3.8.

Typical Illinois politics.

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:42 pm

There was this program called iLeap where University of Illinois undergrads could apply directly to the law school during their junior year. If accepted they would be binding ED essentially but not have to take the LSAT. Admissions Dean Paul Pless sent an email basically saying how he traps the little bastards with 4.0's without having to hurt his LSAT medians. Investigations revealed that he had lied about the last three(?) classes medians in order to raise the class's academic profile. I think they released the data saying their LSAT median was 167 when really it was like a 162. He was apparently obsessed with the US News Ranking and doing everything he could to raise it. He was very successful but turned out be completely fraudulent.

iLeap was at its peak (right before the scandal) my first few years at UIUC. The "pre-law" club people were all really obsessed with getting into iLeap. It was extremely competitive, you basically needed a 4.0 to get into it. Always thought those kids were kind of dumb for doing that, with their grades it would be pretty easy to get into U of I Law with just an alright LSAT. Don't know why they were so afraid of that test.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:44 pm

The whole point of iLeap was that they didn't have to take the LSAT, but iLeap wasn't the controversial part at all....

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Here's Paul Pless from 09 on these boards. http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... 9&start=25
Pless wrote:Sorry, I typed a response to this but it didn't post. Non-disclosure is a bad thing. You want to read the application closely and give an accurate and complete answer. When in doubt, disclose. If you are really, really unsure, call and ask. (You don't have to give your name!)
Most things won't hurt your chances of admission, but lying on your application can have serious, serious ramifications.

What a guy.

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:51 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:The whole point of iLeap was that they didn't have to take the LSAT, but iLeap wasn't the controversial part at all....

Yeah I know. Just saying it was part of the whole "gaming the system", with his motives definitely being revealed in an email he boasted to a friend. It was promoted to "keep the best students from U of I at U of I" which I guess it did to some extent, but its real motive was BS.

I'm just saying I feel like people are really limiting themselves by not taking the LSAT when they have 4.0s. If you can work hard enough to get a 4.0 you should be able to work hard enough to do well on the LSAT. If you still want to stay at U of I for Law School then ok, make that decision then. But why take away any flexibility?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:57 pm

john7234797 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:The whole point of iLeap was that they didn't have to take the LSAT, but iLeap wasn't the controversial part at all....

Yeah I know. Just saying it was part of the whole "gaming the system", with his motives definitely being revealed in an email he boasted to a friend. It was promoted to "keep the best students from U of I at U of I" which I guess it did to some extent, but its real motive was BS.

I'm just saying I feel like people are really limiting themselves by not taking the LSAT when they have 4.0s. If you can work hard enough to get a 4.0 you should be able to work hard enough to do well on the LSAT. If you still want to stay at U of I for Law School then ok, make that decision then. But why take away any flexibility?

Well, no I agree with you, but consider that at the time the school was boosting a 167-168 median, which is pretty freakin high. There's plenty of people that can get a 3.8 or a 3.9 and cant break that high on the LSAT.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Doesn't Alabama have a similiar program except without the fraud?

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 pm

rebexness wrote:

You are thinking about their football program I'm sure

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:08 pm

jack5on wrote:
rebexness wrote:

You are thinking about their football program I'm sure

He said WITHOUT the fraud.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Alabama does. So does Michigan.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

rebexness wrote:

A few schools have these programs. A few others make you take the LSAT but start in you in summer school before 1L for a trial run.

The catch with all these programs is that you can't start in August or you'll be counted in the rankings.

byronmullens

Postby byronmullens » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 pm

How many moAr hours until prospective students can suddenly be imparted with the wisdom that those looking to practice in Dallas should attend ASU over SouTTTern MeTTThodisTTT? I just can wait to see all the irrational things that will happen after the release.

As much as the USNWR ranking are a joke, at least they seem to drive schools to shrink class size, which with all the tuition dolla dolla billz they would not on their own. Also I highly doubt the new employment numbers will really alter much.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 pm

More anticipated - new Justin Timberlake album or USNooz rankings? Both are coming out this week and could leak any minute now...

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:16 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:More anticipated - new Justin Timberlake album or USNooz rankings? Both are coming out this week and could leak any minute now...

That shit is streaming for free on iTunes now

http://tw.itunes.com/b1W

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:44 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:More anticipated - new Justin Timberlake album or USNooz rankings? Both are coming out this week and could leak any minute now...

neither; i choose the samsung galaxy siv launch.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Lasers wrote:

Oh hell yes this makes me hard

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Lasers wrote:

Oh hell yes this makes me hard

Indeed. TTTT Deans, Apple execs, and JT haters will all be shitting their pants after this week is over.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Lasers wrote:

I'm still waiting for Jelly Bean on my Galaxy SII. I'm not happy, Samsung.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:47 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Lasers wrote:

This is why Nexus phones are TCR. Or root.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:49 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm still waiting for Jelly Bean on my Galaxy SII. I'm not happy, Samsung.

Yeah, I have a Nexus 7. My next cell phone will definitely be a Nexus.

Kurohoshi

Postby Kurohoshi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:53 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Lasers wrote:

Even with the firewall between Motorola and Google, the Moto Droid line and Nexus are your only good bets for timely updates.

BTW - http://abovethelaw.com/2013/03/law-scho ... -released/

Edit: On my screen it looks like the link says released at the end, these are not the released rankings just news about a Dean's reaction to the early copy that they receive.
Last edited by Kurohoshi on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:53 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Lasers wrote:

yeah, but the nexus 4 didn't have LTE. plus, i'll be on contract anyway, so i need a phone that a carrier will subsidize.

also, i've been stuck with the OG atrix running gingerbread...fuck moto. this upgrade is a long time coming.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”