2014 Rankings Released

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 pm

According to last years rankings, the following data is recorded for employed at graduation: (.04 of the methodology)

upper T1 schools: (went through rank #51 cuz arbitrary cutoffs are arbitrary)

CU- 57%
UF- 51%
Wake-52%
UNC- 51%
Hastings- 40%
Pepperdine- 51%
SMU 59%
Baylor 50%
Tulane 42%

compared to other upper T1 schools: (included Arizona St and UW cuz they really are upper T1 schools)

American 69%
Utah 75%
Maryland 83%
Mason 90%
UGA 83%
Davis 83%
Arizona St. 83% (98% overall, lol)
OSU 83%
UW 88%
FSU 75%

I call bullshit a thousand times over. No way 83% of UGA grads, 90% of Mason grads, or 88% of UW grads are walking out of law school with a real job offer in this environment. Clearly the second group is shamelessly gaming the rankings in a way the first group either refuses to or hasn't figured out how to do. Just look at peer schools in the same state. FSU at 75% but UF at 51%? Hastings at 40% but Davis at 83%? Fuck off. This should be talked about a lot more on this board. 4% of the ranking methodology is nuthing to sneeze at, and schools that may actually be telling the truth-- baylor, tulane, are getting shit on by the arizona states of the world.

Anyone know how they exactly come up with the employed at graduation reports? Srry this was a rushed shitty post btw, not a lot of time.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:According to last years rankings, the following data is recorded for employed at graduation: (.04 of the methodology)

upper T1 schools: (went through rank #51 cuz arbitrary cutoffs are arbitrary)

CU- 57%
UF- 51%
Wake-52%
UNC- 51%
Hastings- 40%
Pepperdine- 51%
SMU 59%
Baylor 50%
Tulane 42%

compared to other upper T1 schools: (included Arizona St and UW cuz they really are upper T1 schools)

American 69%
Utah 75%
Maryland 83%
Mason 90%
UGA 83%
Davis 83%
Arizona St. 83% (98% overall, lol)
OSU 83%
UW 88%
FSU 75%

I call bullshit a thousand times over. No way 83% of UGA grads, 90% of Mason grads, or 88% of UW grads are walking out of law school with a real job offer in this environment. Clearly the second group is shamelessly gaming the rankings in a way the first group either refuses to or hasn't figured out how to do. Just look at peer schools in the same state. FSU at 75% but UF at 51%? Hastings at 40% but Davis at 83%? Fuck off. This should be talked about a lot more on this board. 4% of the ranking methodology is nuthing to sneeze at, and schools that may actually be telling the truth-- baylor, tulane, are getting shit on by the arizona states of the world.

Anyone know how they exactly come up with the employed at graduation reports? Srry this was a rushed shitty post btw, not a lot of time.


Mason at 90%? SERIOUSLY? I swear I'm becoming more and more convinced that non-T14 law schools are nothing more than glorified scam artists...

cooldude87
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby cooldude87 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Ican'twaitforthesetocomeoutI'msoexcited!

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby Crowing » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:12 pm

IIRC the gap last year in score between NYU and PVB (92 vs. 87) was greater than the gap between S and NYU (96 vs. 92). There was a 1 point gap between each spot from S to N.

So... Y/S/CLS? :lol:

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:49 pm

But no one knows how career service office's calculate employed at graduation? Also that metric is so lacking on its face.. where I want to work after law school doesn't hire until after bar passage.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:56 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby banjo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:58 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Crowing wrote:IIRC the gap last year in score between NYU and PVB (92 vs. 87) was greater than the gap between S and NYU (96 vs. 92). There was a 1 point gap between each spot from S to N.

So... Y/S/CLS? :lol:

Where can you find the raw scores that you're referring to?


They've been posted a couple times in random threads: http://i.imgur.com/58ayG.png

eta: As much as I claim I don't care about USNWR, I could probably reproduce that chart by memory. It's sad.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:04 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:15 pm

banjo wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
Crowing wrote:IIRC the gap last year in score between NYU and PVB (92 vs. 87) was greater than the gap between S and NYU (96 vs. 92). There was a 1 point gap between each spot from S to N.

So... Y/S/CLS? :lol:

Where can you find the raw scores that you're referring to?


They've been posted a couple times in random threads: http://i.imgur.com/58ayG.png

eta: As much as I claim I don't care about USNWR, I could probably reproduce that chart by memory. It's sad.

Fucking lol'd at the last column.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby gaud » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:34 pm

ASU employment % going up to 99%! Just you wait :lol:

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:04 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Jumping in here for the waiting game

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby shoeshine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:27 pm

That droves meme is getting old.

Also, employers do pay attention to rankings. Not the small moves that happen year to year but multi-year trends for sure.

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby 04102014 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:34 pm

It will bother me if UVA (17% school funded) is ranked ahead of Michigan (3% school funded) again.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:38 pm

shoeshine wrote:That droves meme is getting old.

Also, employers do pay attention to rankings. Not the small moves that happen year to year but multi-year trends for sure.


Is that what they told you at your SA?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:41 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby 04102014 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:54 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:It will bother me if UVA (17% school funded) is ranked ahead of Michigan (3% school funded) again.

But if you look at the numbers I posted above, even if you subtracted the 17% from UVA and the 3% from Michigan, UVA is still ahead of Michigan when it comes to employment rates (84.14% versus 83.61%). :|


Aren't those stats for the michigan class who was told to bid heavily on Chicago, even though we now know that's a crazy strategy? I'm willing to bet that, excluding school-funded jobs, the c/o 2012 michigan job stats will outperform UVA.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:00 pm

If my school drops 1 place, I will drop out.

run26.2
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby run26.2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:15 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:most fascinating part of the methodology is the peer review and lawyers and judges score. wtf. first of all, who decides who gets these surveys? second, how the fuck do you rate schools based on 1 to 5? at least make it 1 to 10 and allow for half scores. ridiculous. this score counts for like 40% of the rankings, and there is no way to even reform it and make it less than horse-shit.

This is actually a really interesting point. This is a place where USN could really massage the data. A few ways come to mind, including selecting who gets the surveys based on school, tracking how/whether particular individuals respond, etc. I'm sure these are supposed to be anonymous... Is the US News' data collection or calculation process audited?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:51 am

Tom Joad wrote:If my school drops 1 place, I will drop out.


:lol:

You'd better. I'm waiting for the rankings to come out before I commit to a school...

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby Davidbentley » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:54 am

Tom Joad wrote:If my school drops 1 place, I will drop out.

+1

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:06 am

So the idea is to just apply to every school you can and go to the highest ranked school right?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:So the idea is to just apply to every school you can and go to the highest ranked school right?


That's the idea. Even though I'm from Cali and want to work in LA, I'd choose Vandy over USC because 16th is better than 18th.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:40 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:So the idea is to just apply to every school you can and go to the highest ranked schoolattend ASU if accepted right?


FTFY




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr. Bubbles and 7 guests