2014 Rankings Released

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:08 pm


PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr5UBZh1rY&list=PL84305656837FB21D


...I rest my case. Good song, though.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 pm

New Haven ain't that bad...

it's quite nice indeed

User avatar
Bulls1990
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Bulls1990 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:New Haven ain't that bad...

it's quite nice indeed


How about those rankings? amirite.

New Haven pizza might be the best in the world but just stay away from the Green at night!

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Bulls1990 wrote:
New Haven pizza might be the best in the world


2nd best

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Yukos » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:New Haven ain't that bad...

it's quite nice indeed


You hate California and love New Haven. I really hope you're trolling.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Yukos wrote:
You hate California and love New Haven. I really hope you're trolling.


trolling? Why do you think california is so awesome? really... it's a shithole. Yeah New Haven is crap too, but not on the level california is at.

Goblin Tacos
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Goblin Tacos » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Yukos wrote:
You hate California and love New Haven. I really hope you're trolling.


trolling? Why do you think california is so awesome? really... it's a shithole. Yeah New Haven is crap too, but not on the level california is at.


Right on. Omaha is #1.

Coasts can smd

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Yukos » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Yukos wrote:
You hate California and love New Haven. I really hope you're trolling.


trolling? Why do you think california is so awesome? really... it's a shithole. Yeah New Haven is crap too, but not on the level california is at.


Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness
The track hits ya eardrum like a slug to ya chest
Pack a vest for your Jimmy in the city of sex
We in that sunshine state with a bomb ass hemp beat
the state where ya never find a dance floor empty
And pimps be on a mission for them greens

I could go on but it might not be Fair Use.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Yukos wrote:
Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness
The track hits ya eardrum like a slug to ya chest
Pack a vest for your Jimmy in the city of sex
We in that sunshine state with a bomb ass hemp beat
the state where ya never find a dance floor empty
And pimps be on a mission for them greens

I could go on but it might not be Fair Use.


Written in 1995. Yup, very up to date of Dr. Dre's attitude of California.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Yukos » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Yukos wrote:
Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness
The track hits ya eardrum like a slug to ya chest
Pack a vest for your Jimmy in the city of sex
We in that sunshine state with a bomb ass hemp beat
the state where ya never find a dance floor empty
And pimps be on a mission for them greens

I could go on but it might not be Fair Use.


Written in 1995. Yup, very up to date of Dr. Dre's attitude of California.


Ain't shit changed.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Yukos wrote:
Ain't shit changed.


LOL! please tell me you're trolling

User avatar
yodamiked
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:07 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby yodamiked » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Confused. According to USNEWS, out of state tuition at UCLA is $51,715 per year. According to UCLA's site, it is $53,958 per year. Is USNEWS stating next year's tuition, or are they just on drugs?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 pm

yodamiked wrote:Confused. According to USNEWS, out of state tuition at UCLA is $51,715 per year. According to UCLA's site, it is $53,958 per year. Is USNEWS stating next year's tuition, or are they just on drugs?

It's tuition plus fees.

https://www.law.ucla.edu/current-studen ... fault.aspx

User avatar
NewYorkL
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby NewYorkL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Seton Hall making moves.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Void » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 pm

NewYorkL wrote:Seton Hall making moves.


Meh. They were at 61 two years ago...

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 am

Void wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:Seton Hall making moves.


Meh. They were at 61 two years ago...


Curious how they are even as high as they are in the rankings taking into account the price of the school and their job placement data.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Void wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:Seton Hall making moves.


Meh. They were at 61 two years ago...


Curious how they are even as high as they are in the rankings taking into account the price of the school and their job placement data.


Because almost all schools have bad outcomes and are expensive? These are relative rankings, which makes them far less useful.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:13 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
Void wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:Seton Hall making moves.


Meh. They were at 61 two years ago...


Curious how they are even as high as they are in the rankings taking into account the price of the school and their job placement data.


Because almost all schools have bad outcomes and are expensive?

Yep. A relative ranking system distorts the quality of schools because people don't realize that the difference between School #1 and school #30 is enormous while the difference between school #40 and school #80 is tiny. Seton Hall is ranked where it is partly because there just aren't that many schools that aren't terrible.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13661
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby star fox » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Well, seems like a good time to ask Illinois for more money. The school is pretty broke so I doubt I get much. But I don't think it's worth with anything less than a full ride.

User avatar
jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor
Posts: 5749
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby jne381 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:58 pm

The rankings, and now the use of employment statistics, are frustrating. Yes, it is extremely helpful for potential students, but a numbered ranking system really is a disservice. For instance, if a school is strong in a particular region or market, and that market it particularly hard hit economic turmoil, it hurts the ranking regardless of the actual quality of the education received there. Sure, job prospects are important, but why doesn't the ranking also take into account cost of tuition. That factor is surely important in a similar way as employment numbers.

It would make more sense to break the rankings down into multiple sections. Quality of education could factor in things like bar passage rate, and things like quality of the faculty. Value cold look at employment prospects and cost fo attendance. And so on and so on.

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Gatriel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Jne -

There was a write up a few years ago breaking down the pv of a legal education v the pv of te average future salary of an attorney over a 40 year career. It's conclusion was unless you go to a ttt/+t at full sticker it's a good deal. If you're paying $40k a year for a ttt then you're a moron.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:04 pm

jne381 wrote:The rankings, and now the use of employment statistics, are frustrating. Yes, it is extremely helpful for potential students, but a numbered ranking system really is a disservice. For instance, if a school is strong in a particular region or market, and that market it particularly hard hit economic turmoil, it hurts the ranking

Good. If a school places predominately into one market, and that market has gotten much worse, the value of that school's JD program to a potential student is much worse. There are a lot of grounds to criticize the US News rankings, but I don't think one of those is that there's too much of an emphasis on employment outcomes.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Gatriel wrote:Jne -

There was a write up a few years ago breaking down the pv of a legal education v the pv of te average future salary of an attorney over a 40 year career. It's conclusion was unless you go to a ttt/+t at full sticker it's a good deal. If you're paying $40k a year for a ttt then you're a moron.

Do you have a link?

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
jne381 wrote:The rankings, and now the use of employment statistics, are frustrating. Yes, it is extremely helpful for potential students, but a numbered ranking system really is a disservice. For instance, if a school is strong in a particular region or market, and that market it particularly hard hit economic turmoil, it hurts the ranking

Good. If a school places predominately into one market, and that market has gotten much worse, the value of that school's JD program to a potential student is much worse. There are a lot of grounds to criticize the US News rankings, but I don't think one of those is that there's too much of an emphasis on employment outcomes.


And not to jump on the attack-jne-bandwagon, but factoring cost into the ranking could be a disservice because costs are so disparate between different applicants. Comparing YOUR price of law school to the potential employment outcomes is the best way to go about it, irrespective of sticker price.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest