2014 Rankings Released

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Lol, so there's an article on US News from an admissions counselor about the rankings. Most of his advice isn't that bad, but:

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/l ... s-rankings

1. Specialization: If you are considering practicing in a specialized area, especially intellectual property or environmental law, then a law school's overall rank must take a back seat to its strength in that particular area.

For example, Vermont Law School is not a top 14 law school but is considered by many scholars and practitioners to be the clear leader in environmental law. When you are seeking a job in environmental law, the strength of Vermont's particular program will be quite impressive to employers who are, most often, specialists themselves in the field.

It is most imperative to attend a school at which your desired specialization is highly rated rather than a highly rated school that does not have a strong program, or any program at all, in your specific area of interest.

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:52 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Lol, so there's an article on US News from an admissions counselor about the rankings. Most of his advice isn't that bad, but:

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/l ... s-rankings

1. Specialization: If you are considering practicing in a specialized area, especially intellectual property or environmental law, then a law school's overall rank must take a back seat to its strength in that particular area.

For example, Vermont Law School is not a top 14 law school but is considered by many scholars and practitioners to be the clear leader in environmental law. When you are seeking a job in environmental law, the strength of Vermont's particular program will be quite impressive to employers who are, most often, specialists themselves in the field.

It is most imperative to attend a school at which your desired specialization is highly rated rather than a highly rated school that does not have a strong program, or any program at all, in your specific area of interest.


Lololololol

It's all about location, alumni, and class rank.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 pm

I don't think that advice is all that bad, tbh.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm

jack5on wrote:Can someone explain why/how Cardozo still gets a part-time program ranking even though you must matriculate to the full-time program after a year? Seems as shiesty as it gets.


Good question. Should be TTTT for sure.

gaucholaw
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby gaucholaw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
slack_academic wrote:Freebirds is overrated.


The fuck? You must be talking about those fake freebirds that have cropped up near USC and even in Roseville, CA and all the way in Texas. I am talking about the one true freebirds. Please tell me you do not think that's overrated. What are you a Super Cucas guy?


it's all about Rosaritas 4.95$ burritos from 7-10 pm

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Im going to graduate from a TTT.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Cobretti » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:52 pm

gaucholaw wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
slack_academic wrote:Freebirds is overrated.


The fuck? You must be talking about those fake freebirds that have cropped up near USC and even in Roseville, CA and all the way in Texas. I am talking about the one true freebirds. Please tell me you do not think that's overrated. What are you a Super Cucas guy?


it's all about Rosaritas 4.95$ burritos from 7-10 pm

super cucas is probably better food, but my heart won't let me pick it over freebirds

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:02 pm

mrizza wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
slack_academic wrote:Freebirds is overrated.


The fuck? You must be talking about those fake freebirds that have cropped up near USC and even in Roseville, CA and all the way in Texas. I am talking about the one true freebirds. Please tell me you do not think that's overrated. What are you a Super Cucas guy?


it's all about Rosaritas 4.95$ burritos from 7-10 pm

super cucas is probably better food, but my heart won't let me pick it over freebirds


That's a good heart man! A good heart!
And seriously, Rosaritas? If I want fried in my burrito I'd go to McDonals, order fries, then taco bell, get a burrito, then mix the two.

But also Super Cucas is actually really, really good I cannot lie.

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Gatriel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 pm

FML.

Image

Does anyone have the breakdown on Pepperdine and what the hell happened?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings (release date: March 12, 2013)

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Good Marshall wrote:
Maybe Irvine is projected to absorb some of the OC market.


Are you serious? The OC market is shit, socal market is shit, all of california is shit.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:42 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Im going to graduate from a TTT.


so UC Davis/ Hastings ?

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings (release date: March 12, 2013)

Postby Gatriel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Good Marshall wrote:
Maybe Irvine is projected to absorb some of the OC market.


Are you serious? The OC market is shit, socal market is shit, all of california is shit.


This is very credited.

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Im going to graduate from a TTT.

Fordham?

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Gatriel wrote:FML.

Image

Does anyone have the breakdown on Pepperdine and what the hell happened?


Here you go.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Anybody know when the new employment data are coming out? Aba nalp

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Gatriel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:08 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Here you go.


This was a poorly phrased question, what component of USNWR's computation fell so dramatically leading to this result.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Image

Image

Image

LOL

User avatar
Ave
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Ave » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:You.jpg
See.jpg
Eye.jpg

LOL

The order in your rebus...

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:23 pm

My school moved up 3 spots. I just wanted to say that. Still a T2.


There, now I feel like I said something about it to people who might give 1/4 of a fart about it. Because no one at my school cares one bit. (obviously, or they would've either tried harder to go to a school with a better ranking or they chose my school anyway)

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Aroldis105 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:36 pm

E-mail today from Illinois offering a fee waiver and the promise of scholarship money.
Somebody is hitting the panic button.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:E-mail today from Illinois offering a fee waiver and the promise of scholarship money.
Somebody is hitting the panic button.


I doubt they will get as desperate as RU-C (basically offering people guaranteed admittance without even seeing LSAT scores -- they may not even have required a score or some bullshit).

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:13 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:E-mail today from Illinois offering a fee waiver and the promise of scholarship money.
Somebody is hitting the panic button.


LOL, promise of scholarship money. UIUC got the biggest shaft of the year with these rankings.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Wtf Illinois if you're doing this why not take me off the waitlist.

I wonder how many people withdrew today. I almost did for the lols.

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Gatriel wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:Here you go.


This was a poorly phrased question, what component of USNWR's computation fell so dramatically leading to this result.


I suspect the fall is largely due to the new methodology for employment, which requires a student to be employed in a full time job lasting at least a year, for which a JD is required or an advantage. No more Starbucks workers being considered "employed."

I don't have the breakdown of methodology (though it is usually available on their site) but I know careers is a pretty important component.

Schools in saturated markets dropped. Schools in better markets improved.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:49 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
Gatriel wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:Here you go.


This was a poorly phrased question, what component of USNWR's computation fell so dramatically leading to this result.


I suspect the fall is largely due to the new methodology for employment, which requires a student to be employed in a full time job lasting at least a year, for which a JD is required or an advantage. No more Starbucks workers being considered "employed."

I don't have the breakdown of methodology (though it is usually available on their site) but I know careers is a pretty important component.

Schools in saturated markets dropped. Schools in better markets improved.


Careers is 20%. Yeah your spot on the new methodology explains most of the changes. Great changes. People should be talking about the shift more! Now 0Ls can look up employment data on the sacred rankings and see T1 schools dropping down in the 40s and 50s in employment percentage.

The biggest part of the ranking (40%) is still reputation scores. This is the least talked about portion of the rankings, and (unsurprisingly) the portion we know the least about.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Mhr and 3 guests