2014 Rankings Released Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JenDarby

Diamond

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Post by JenDarby » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 am

Jessuf, I almost added you on FB. I'm glad we've reached a consensus on being Internet friends.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 am

JenDarby wrote:50 fucking pages? 50 fucking pages.
TBF, this thread started weeks ago. Only the last 30 or so pages have been since yesterday.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:41 am

JenDarby wrote:Jessuf, I almost added you on FB. I'm glad we've reached a consensus on being Internet friends.
Was this suposed to be a PM? I don't even see Jessuf in here.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:48 am

50 fricken pages

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:48 am

jne381 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Jessuf, I almost added you on FB. I'm glad we've reached a consensus on being Internet friends.
This was supposed to be in Random One-Offs. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 pm

JenDarby wrote:
jne381 wrote:
This was supposed to be in Random One-Offs. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
-thisisdingbat

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
blurbz wrote:
DerrickRose wrote: is Illinois regarded as a festering TTT now?
I haven't seen you around these parts lately. How's life?

It's awkward on campus today: People are PISSED and I've heard multiple students say they want Smith fired. To hear it in the halls here, students would probably vote to call us a festering TTT... Very awkward for those of us with jobs, but we're definitely the lucky ones. Weird day, for sure.
I don't really see what firing Smith would accomplish, other than just to have a head on a platter.

Totally agree.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:09 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
blurbz wrote:
DerrickRose wrote: is Illinois regarded as a festering TTT now?
I haven't seen you around these parts lately. How's life?

It's awkward on campus today: People are PISSED and I've heard multiple students say they want Smith fired. To hear it in the halls here, students would probably vote to call us a festering TTT... Very awkward for those of us with jobs, but we're definitely the lucky ones. Weird day, for sure.
I don't really see what firing Smith would accomplish, other than just to have a head on a platter.
I actually did Illinois' ASW and met Dean Smith. Really liked the guy. Did he have any clue what was going on?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Scanning the school specific threads is hilarious. People are all like "gee I'm going to give that Houston acceptance a second look based on their new rank!"

DO YOU EVEN KIND-OF WANT TO LIVE IN TEXAS?????
A good one was "Florida schools are up!!! I live in CA but maybe!??!?!"
Ah, how people become quick to judge and take on a persona of superiority once they get a year or two of law school under their belt.

Presumably this is me your talking about. I actually have ties to Florida and was considering a regional relocation before the new rankings came out. Also, it's more the new employment stats (which are much worse than last years USNW and also worse than LST) that have me giving this additional consideration. While the employment prospects are only slightly better, I think it might be advantageous to attend a school that is number one in the region, vs. a regional school that is in close proximity to several more national schools that place significantly better. But you tell me, oh wise one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:17 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Scanning the school specific threads is hilarious. People are all like "gee I'm going to give that Houston acceptance a second look based on their new rank!"

Ah, how people become quick to judge and take on a persona of superiority once they get a year or two of law school under their belt.

Presumably this is me your talking about. I actually have ties to Florida and was considering a regional relocation before the new rankings came out. Also, it's more the new employment stats (which are much worse than last years USNW and also worse than LST) that have me giving this additional consideration. While the employment prospects are only slightly better, I think it might be advantageous to attend a school that is number one in the region, vs. a regional school that is in close proximity to several more national schools that place significantly better. But you tell me, oh wise one.
How extensive are these ties dood?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

How extensive are these ties dood?
My parents (and my child's grandparents) live 60 miles from Gainesville. It doesn't have to be Florida as I could live anywhere in the country, but if I stand a better chance at getting a job there having local family is an added plus.

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 pm

slack_academic wrote:
chimp wrote:CALIFORNIA SUCKS

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Point is you didn't need the rankings to draw these conclusions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 pm

wtf is this

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:43 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Well, like I said, I was on this train of thought anyways. But fair enough.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:51 pm

All TLS "wisdom" aside, I care about the rankings. At least, in the same sense that I care whether my sports teams do well. And I think this sentiment is shared by a lot of lawyers: they realize, deep down, that the rankings don't carry any real consequences - but if it's all the same, I'd still rather go to the higher-ranked school. Because my ego ain't gonna stroke itself.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:54 pm

beachbum wrote:All TLS "wisdom" aside, I care about the rankings. At least, in the same sense that I care whether my sports teams do well. And I think this sentiment is shared by a lot of lawyers: they realize, deep down, that the rankings don't carry any real consequences - but if it's all the same, I'd still rather go to the higher-ranked school. Because my ego ain't gonna stroke itself.
Lol. Well said. Simply put, I'd rather be starting at #46 school next year then #68. Ultimately, I'm gunning for a retake in June. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:54 pm

So, are you now considering UF or FSU because they moved up? Please tell us.

What is so funny is that many of these schools who "moved up" actually didn't move at all. Their raw scores are exactly the same as last year. The only change was that some schools in front of them saw reductions in their raw score.. Very few, if any, schools in the top 100 actually actually got appreciably better by USNEWS standards.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:So, are you now considering UF or FSU because they moved up? Please tell us.

What is so funny is that many of these schools who "moved up" actually didn't move at all. Their raw scores are exactly the same as last year. The only change was that some schools in front of them saw reductions in their raw score.. Very few, if any, schools in the top 100 actually actually got appreciably better by USNEWS standards.
Re-read like 4 posts ago. No.

I was considering UF anyways. I'm giving it more consideration since the Ca schools that I've gotten into already have tanked and, more importantly, the new methodology for career stats paints a much more dismal picture than anything I've read up until now; this includes LST, last years USNW, and data reported on the schools site.

I'm trying to avoid a shitty outcome more than I'm trying to attend a bastion of USNW prestige.

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:So, are you now considering UF or FSU because they moved up? Please tell us.

What is so funny is that many of these schools who "moved up" actually didn't move at all. Their raw scores are exactly the same as last year. The only change was that some schools in front of them saw reductions in their raw score.. Very few, if any, schools in the top 100 actually actually got appreciably better by USNEWS Yale's standards.
That raw score is normalized in comparison to the top school. If Yale did better, then you have to have increased relative to them in order to increase your raw score.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:03 pm

Greenandgold wrote:

What is so funny is that many of these schools who "moved up" actually didn't move at all. Their raw scores are exactly the same as last year. The only change was that some schools in front of them saw reductions in their raw score.. Very few, if any, schools in the top 100 actually actually got appreciably better by USNEWS Yale's standards.
That raw score is normalized in comparison to the top school. If Yale did better, then you have to have increased relative to them in order to increase your raw score.
Right, but my point remains.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:14 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

I think some of these are sarcastic remarks. I've posted several of them myself, lol.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:22 pm

the COL indicated by US News is ridiculous. 14k/yr at NU?

lolno.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:31 pm

It's time...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 pm

rebexness wrote:the COL indicated by US News is ridiculous. 14k/yr at NU?

lolno.
That's not total COL, that's just room and board. And that's the figure provided by NU, not some independent determination by USNews. So if you decide to attend NU law, that's the amount they budget in the cost of attending (which determines your maximum fed loans per year) for room and board.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”