2014 Rankings Released

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dr. Dre

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:59 am

5965 wrote:Any thoughts on why Berkeley's rank plummeted? I was debating between Berkeley and Penn (was leaning toward Berkeley a bit more), and today's ranking just made my decision much more difficult:/ Please help me out (with my decision) peers!

you still don't get it : :x All of California is a piece of crap!

go to Upenn

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
Lasers wrote:usc on the verge of taking over us news supremacy in socal...which will mean nothing.

socal = overraTTTEd

You sully the good name of Dr. Dre with your senseless bashing of Los Angeles.

Dr. Dre hates L.A now. He loved L.A in the 90s. Things change. CA changed.

sfhaze

Postby sfhaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 am

5965 wrote:Any thoughts on why Berkeley's rank plummeted? I was debating between Berkeley and Penn (was leaning toward Berkeley a bit more), and today's ranking just made my decision much more difficult:/ Please help me out (with my decision) peers!

Are you serious? If so, you better be prepared to put the US News rank of the school you choose on your resume as of the date of your decision to matriculate.
Last edited by sfhaze on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 am

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 am

2 spots is "plummeting"?

Postby 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:02 am

bobbypin

Postby bobbypin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 am

I'd wager a guess that the drop is due to the West having terrible job prospects. But if you were leaning towards Berkeley, I wouldn't let this dissuade you from attending there.

sfhaze

Postby sfhaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
Lasers wrote:usc on the verge of taking over us news supremacy in socal...which will mean nothing.

socal = overraTTTEd

You sully the good name of Dr. Dre with your senseless bashing of Los Angeles.

Dr. Dre hates L.A now. He loved L.A in the 90s. Things change. CA changed.

Yeah, indeed, I saw Snoop on Piers Morgan the other day. Things change.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:05 am

slack_academic wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

socal = overraTTTEd

Yeah. Southern California blows, dude. To anyone reading: Don't come here. We don't want you. It's overraTTTed.

california is only the greatest place, ever. we don't have enough space for all the east coasters trying to relocate to our greener pastures. 8)

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 am

us news ranking whores will get what's coming to them. don't be one of the sheep; make an informed decision with the stats that matter. penn had better biglaw placement, but not by a huge margin. if you want CA, you should go to berkeley without any hesitation.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 am

Goddamn, Bama. Nicely played.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:10 am

Fuck. Berkeley down to 9. I'm never going to get a job now. I knew I should've gone to CLS.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 am

I can affirm that everything about Cali besides the weather and serene landscapes is crap. The government is mostly the problem, and specific to this thread the UC system is a huge chunk of lulz that is slowly deteriorating from one of the best public school University systems to a degeneracy of debts, useless degrees and tuition hikes.
With that said, the full nature of the slide has yet to set in, so Berk and LA will be safe for a long time, while the others may suffer their unfortunate fate a bit faster (as evidence by Davis and Hastings plummeting much more dramatically than the aforementioned).

But I would still go to Berk if they change their minds and take me :)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:13 am

CFprez wrote:
paranoia4ya wrote:haha

Utah> Brigham Young

Holy war. They both fell.

bobbypin wrote:All of the Pacific NW schools dropped in rankings with the exception of Gonzaga.
UW from 20 to 28
Lewis and Clark from 58 to 80
U of O from 82 to 94
Seattle from 82 to 102
Gonzaga stayed at 113
Willamette from 129 to no published rank

Yikes.

Employers fleeing to Bama in DROVES

sfhaze

Postby sfhaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:15 am

Micdiddy wrote:I can affirm that everything about Cali besides the weather and serene landscapes is crap. The government is mostly the problem, and specific to this thread the UC system is a huge chunk of lulz that is slowly deteriorating from one of the best public school University systems to a degeneracy of debts, useless degrees and tuition hikes.
With that said, the full nature of the slide has yet to set in, so Berk and LA will be safe for a long time, while the others may suffer their unfortunate fate a bit faster (as evidence by Davis and Hastings plummeting much more dramatically than the aforementioned).

Are you an Gov. Edmund Gerald "Jerry" Brown, Jr. alt? Are you seriously making such a statement citing US News? (Not to say you're necessarily incorrect, but to cite that for reference is beyond weak).

Postby 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:15 am

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:17 am

Why did Boalt drop? Because it didn't game the system by employing 15-20% of it's class like schools like UVA did. In their 2011 ABA data, UVA claimed it was employing 64 graduates with full time, JD required jobs. That's hilarious, but that get's them 96% on USNEWS.
Last edited by 09042014 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 am

sfhaze wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I can affirm that everything about Cali besides the weather and serene landscapes is crap. The government is mostly the problem, and specific to this thread the UC system is a huge chunk of lulz that is slowly deteriorating from one of the best public school University systems to a degeneracy of debts, useless degrees and tuition hikes.

Are you an Gov. Edmund Gerald "Jerry" Brown, Jr. alt? Are you seriously making such a statement citing US News? (Not to say you're necessarily incorrect, but to cite that for reference is beyond weak).

I also have lived here all my life and attended a UC for UG. Though I am sure you are aware of this, obviously the US News citation is thread-relevant :roll:

Postby 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:19 am

californiabeauar

Postby californiabeauar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:19 am

+1

As a Berkeley undergrad alum, this is very true. Cali's economy is in shitter and the UC system is suffering the consequences (cut backs, tuition hikes, etc). Boalt and UCLA are more or less immune to the circumstances, but could the overall slip in Cali law schools be a harbinger of things to come? Maybe. Also, the legal market in the Bay Area is ridiculously hard to crack. I wouldn't call Berkeley's fall a 'plummet' but rather a minor setback (if a setback at all). Still, I would be wary of all macro circumstances when picking a UC law school.

sfhaze

Postby sfhaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:20 am

Micdiddy wrote:
sfhaze wrote:

I also have lived here all my life and attended a UC for UG. Though I am sure you are aware of this, obviously the US News citation is thread-relevant :roll:

This thread's title is 2014 Rankings Released. I assume this means US News. What am I missing here?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:22 am

the hallmark of this year's rankings: california law schools

so you bet it's relevant!

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:22 am

sfhaze wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
sfhaze wrote:

This thread's title is 2014 Rankings Released. I assume this means US News. What am I missing here?

:?: :?: :?:

Postby 5965 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 am

I know a ranking is not everything, and if I was more certain about what I wanna to upon graduation, I would have been better positioned to make a decision. But being someone who still needs to figure whether to pursue PI or firm-track, it's a bit difficult for me to have a holistic evaluation. Regardless, I don't think I'm gonna be too much influenced by the ranking. I can't deny it will have no effect tho.

Just another question, are you all negative about the prospect of Cali's economy? Isn't there a chance of improvement?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:Why did Boalt drop? Because it didn't game the system by employing 15-20% of it's class like schools like UVA did. In their 2011 ABA data, UVA claimed it was employing 64 graduates with full time, JD required jobs. That's hilarious, but that get's them 96% on USNEWS.

lol. That's awesome. Stay classy Virginia.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”