2014 Rankings Released

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FeelTheHeat

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Dude someone needs to white knight the rankings.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 pm

jne381 wrote:Ouch! Just noticed that Pitt took a nasty drop. I figured they would place people pretty well in middle Pennsylvania.

The problem with Pittsburgh is that every Pittsburgher dreams of settling down in Pittsburgh and having lots of little Pittsburghers. So the best and brightest go off to top schools all over the country and come back with their shiny degrees and leave the locally educated with no employment options but the drivethru and the stockroom.

And it's Western Pennsylvania. There are no people in middle Pennsylvania.

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Dude someone needs to white knight the rankings.

[img]

lol poor History_Buff

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 pm

anticule wrote:what was the biggest drop? lewis and clark @ 22?

FML

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I've seen IAFG on here before. Total naysayer. I've wanted to be lawyer my whole life. Why would someone like you spend your energy telling people not to go to law school when YOU'RE IN LAW SCHOOL. Doesn't that sound a little dumb?

Joke's on you, I'm not in law school.

But yeah, if you disregard advice from anyone who has first hand experience with stuff you don't and then tells you you're wrong, you can guarantee that no one ever upsets your world view, and that's pretty nice.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Is there any indication the employment component was changed to only include JD required jobs?

sublime

Re: 2014 Rankings (release date: March 12, 2013)

Postby sublime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 pm

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:57 pm

IAFG wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:I've seen IAFG on here before. Total naysayer. I've wanted to be lawyer my whole life. Why would someone like you spend your energy telling people not to go to law school when YOU'RE IN LAW SCHOOL. Doesn't that sound a little dumb?

Joke's on you, I'm not in law school.

But yeah, if you disregard advice from anyone who has first hand experience with stuff you don't and then tells you you're wrong, you can guarantee that no one ever upsets your world view, and that's pretty nice.

Mal Reynolds, IAFG just took it to another level. Justify your worldview. Go.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Is there any indication the employment component was changed to only include JD required jobs?

No, it also includes JD advantage

* Represents the percentage of all graduates who had a full-time job lasting at least a year for which bar passage was required or a J.D. degree was an advantage.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Is there any indication the employment component was changed to only include JD required jobs?

From watching the interview I believe I heard that preference was given to those jobs in terms of weight.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 pm

I don't know, but Bama is 21, and that's going to trick a lot of east coasters into moving down to Tuscaloosa

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 pm

pedestrian wrote:

No, it also includes JD advantage

* Represents the percentage of all graduates who had a full-time job lasting at least a year for which bar passage was required or a J.D. degree was an advantage.

having a jd is an advantage for calling prospective students

jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor

Postby jne381 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:59 pm

Ghost93 wrote:
jne381 wrote:I am skeptical. I haven't seen or heard of this.

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... o-you.html

Yeah, I didn't see the part where they are making phone calls, but I guess I could see it happening in some instances. I did see something that said they were employing 32 grads. That seems a bit high. I only know of two people from my class that have jobs at the law college, but I know they hire some grads who have experience in the clinics to help supervise in the clinics. Oh well.
Last edited by jne381 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:59 pm

justonemoregame wrote:

I don't know, but Bama is 21, and that's going to trick a lot of east coasters into moving down to Tuscaloosa

So Bama is the new ASU

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:

So Bama is the new ASU

DROVES I SAY

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 am

Rory19 wrote:

FML

If you were going to L&C and paying real $ for it, you're probably already screwed

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 am

"Placement success was calculated by assigning various weights to the number of grads employed in 22 of these different types of post-J.D. jobs and durations.

Full weight was given for graduates who had a full-time job lasting at least a year where bar passage was required or a J.D. degree was an advantage.

Less weight went to full-time, long-term jobs that were professional or nonprofessional and did not require bar passage, to pursuit of an additional advanced degree, and to positions whose start dates were deferred. The lowest weight applied to jobs categorized as both part-time and short-term.

All these weighted figures were then divided by the total number of 2011 J.D. graduates and were used in the ranking formula only and are not published." http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... ngs?page=2

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Oh yea. 5 point bump in the Law School Transparency employment score right off the bat for that.

At least they're making an effort to improve the culture and inclusiveness of their school. Law school is hard and competitive enough; I don't want to go somewhere where I don't enjoy it.

You're not gonna enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure I will. I get that law school isn't for everyone but people who I trust have been telling me my whole life I'm meant for this field. I love to argue and debate and I'm pretty well spoken.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 am

rad lulz wrote:
Rory19 wrote:

FML

If you were going to L&C and paying real $ for it, you're probably already screwed

No, I was only accepted with nearly a full ride and given my ties to the area was contemplating taking it.

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:I'm pretty sure I will. I get that law school isn't for everyone but people who I trust have been telling me my whole life I'm meant for this field. I love to argue and debate and I'm pretty well spoken.

you were born and bred for success and achievement

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:04 am

Rory19 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Rory19 wrote:

FML

No, I was only accepted with nearly a full ride and given my ties to the area was contemplating taking it.

L&C grads are first in line for all 12 of the entry level atty jobs available in Oregon each year.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:04 am

manofjustice wrote:

"Placement success was calculated by assigning various weights to the number of grads employed in 22 of these different types of post-J.D. jobs and durations.

Full weight was given for graduates who had a full-time job lasting at least a year where bar passage was required or a J.D. degree was an advantage.

Less weight went to full-time, long-term jobs that were professional or nonprofessional and did not require bar passage, to pursuit of an additional advanced degree, and to positions whose start dates were deferred. The lowest weight applied to jobs categorized as both part-time and short-term.

All these weighted figures were then divided by the total number of 2011 J.D. graduates and were used in the ranking formula only and are not published." http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... ngs?page=2

so school funded jobs got full weight?

Its a start I guess...

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 am

WHICH ONE OF THE LURKERS IS NONE OTHER THAN BOB MORSE?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:06 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:
manofjustice wrote:

so school funded jobs got full weight?

Its a start I guess...

At least school funded that is long-term, bar-required, full-time...it seems. It also seems the explanation of the methodology isn't complete.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:08 am

Ghost93 wrote:what about the new international environmental space law rankings

are those out too

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Choosing a Law School”