2014 Rankings Released Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

New

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Post by 5965 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:25 am

And by the way, the choice of a word, 'plummet,' was quoted from one of the articles on the rankings. Don't get too upset;o I don't think it plummeted either.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:25 am

5965 wrote: are you all negative about the prospect of Cali's economy? Isn't there a chance of improvement?
No. Every one needs to get tha fack outta there in DROVES
Last edited by Dr. Dre on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:25 am

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:28 am

5965 wrote:I know a ranking is not everything, and if I was more certain about what I wanna to upon graduation, I would have been better positioned to make a decision. But being someone who still needs to figure whether to pursue PI or firm-track, it's a bit difficult for me to have a holistic evaluation. Regardless, I don't think I'm gonna be too much influenced by the ranking. I can't deny it will have no effect tho.

Just another question, are you all negative about the prospect of Cali's economy? Isn't there a chance of improvement?
I'm pretty certain improvement is possible, but only way in the future after near total collapse. The government here is ass-backwards and it's driving intelligent people, as well as good businesses and start-ups, out of the state. Basically, California is the worst place for anyone with money to live or do business, and that's why so many with money have left and will continue to leave.
But again, so many people with money were here in the first place, this will take a while for the full-disastrous affect to be realized.
The political climate of the state seems to only want to worsen the problem.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:30 am

California was the shit in the 90s; now it's shiTTT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:31 am

Kronk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why did Boalt drop? Because it didn't game the system by employing 15-20% of it's class like schools like UVA did. In their 2011 ABA data, UVA claimed it was employing 64 graduates with full time, JD required jobs. That's hilarious, but that get's them 96% on USNEWS.
lol. That's awesome. Stay classy Virginia.
Any school reporting over 90% is fudging the numbers still. And that's conservative. I'd guess over 85%.

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 am

Micdiddy wrote: :?: :?: :?:
:?: :?: :?: :!:
Dude. You cited US News in your original post (the "evidence" cite). As you can tell from above, most folks think of US News as a racket and to cite to it as an authority is weak. Do you honestly think a few US News positions here and there/yr makes a real difference? Take a look at rankings in years past before you answer that. (Obviously, nobody gives a shit if the absolute top schools switch spots some years).

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:34 am

ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL TIDE

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:36 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:38 am

slack_academic wrote:We'll be paying for bloated pensions for years and years to come.
We can't collect adequate property taxes.
Everything's expensive.

If I wasn't wedded to this state, I'd go to TX or something.
+1 (as if it matters)

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:42 am

Regulus wrote:I'm glad that USNWR reported more accurate employment data this time, although there are still several improvements that could be made:
As we all know by now, low paying “school funded” jobs are counted as “employment.” Thus UVA with its high employment stat is gamed since nearly 20% are for futureless low paying school funded jobs. Some schools used to game the stats by counting all employment (even those working at burger-doodle)… “school funded” is just another game.

As far as movement in the T14, it is like trying to find Waldo. The hierarchy is rock solid. There was a tiny bit of moment from 20-25, but not much.

(I tried to post a '14 to '13 comparison ranking, but TLS won't let me. I guess one has to be a gazlillion zombie poster to attach a chart.)
Last edited by Skye on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 am

Skye wrote:
Regulus wrote:I'm glad that USNWR reported more accurate employment data this time, although there are still several improvements that could be made:
As we all know by now, low paying “school funded” jobs are counted as “employment.” Thus UVA with its high employment stat is gamed since nearly 20% are for futureless low paying school funded jobs. Some schools use to game the stats by counting all employment (even those working at burger-doodle)… “school funded” is just another game.

As far as movement in the T14, it is like trying to find Waldo. The hierarchy is rock solid. There was a tiny bit of moment from 20-25, but not much.

(I tried to post a '14 to '13 comparison ranking, but TLS won't let me. I guess one has to be a gazlillion zombie poster to attach a chart.)
Just post the link. I'll turn it into a photo

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:44 am

Also, just wanted to point out that USNWR is finally reporting what we all know: California is a TTT state in rapid decline. With the addition of FSU into the T1, it's only a matter of time before Florida reclaims its rightful place as America's favorite paradise.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 am

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 am

5965 wrote:Any thoughts on why Berkeley's rank plummeted? I was debating between Berkeley and Penn (was leaning toward Berkeley a bit more), and today's ranking just made my decision much more difficult:/ Please help me out (with my decision) peers!
LOL.....the rankings fluctuate this much every year. Two spots (especially when there are ties) is not a plummet. I know you are a 0L so you don't understand this yet but year to year ranking fluctuations affect your job prospects and academic experience very little. Berkeley was at 9 two years ago and everyone said the exact same things then.

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Also, just wanted to point out that USNWR is finally reporting what we all know: California is a TTT state in rapid decline. With the addition of FSU into the T1, it's only a matter of time before Florida reclaims its rightful place as America's favorite paradise.
LOL. Might as well assert it's Idaho (no offense).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:46 am

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:47 am

slack_academic wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Also, just wanted to point out that USNWR is finally reporting what we all know: California is a TTT state in rapid decline. With the addition of FSU into the T1, it's only a matter of time before Florida reclaims its rightful place as America's favorite paradise.
Enjoy your hellhole swampland. Your majestic sea creatures are dying and your citizens are being sucked into the bowels of hell (sinkholes).
haha. there is no paradise. only places that suck less than most.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 am

I can't tell if you are trolling but interpreting small year over year fluctuations in rankings as anything but statistical noise is just stupid. However, larger multi-year trends such as the fall of Hastings, are something to be considered.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 am

sfhaze wrote:
LOL. Might as well assert it's Idaho (no offense).
How many other states can boast not only TWO T1 law schools, but ELEVEN of the most prestigious schools in the country? Plus, California relies way too heavily on public law schools. With 8 private law schools, Florida knows where it's at.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 am

sfhaze wrote:
Dude. You cited US News in your original post (the "evidence" cite). As you can tell from above, most folks think of US News as a racket and to cite to it as an authority is weak. Do you honestly think a few US News positions here and there/yr makes a real difference? Take a look at rankings in years past before you answer that. (Obviously, nobody gives a shit if the absolute top schools switch spots some years).

Like I said, US News was thread-relevant. Then you said something weird and meaningless as if you had no idea what was going on, and I responded with ???.
I also said US News was not the sole reason for my proclamations, a point you seem to be conveniently and arrogantly ignoring (instead of reading what I and many other people have been writing out).
And for the record, yes I do think 8 and 9 spot drops, especially coupled with similar drops in the past years, DO make a difference in the caliber if the school. Omg I must be such a noob. Obviously no one else thinks these ranking mean anything which is why no one pays any attention to them at all. Lol, Jokes on me I guess.
Last edited by Micdiddy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Skye wrote:
As we all know by now, low paying “school funded” jobs are counted as “employment.” Thus UVA with its high employment stat is gamed since nearly 20% are for futureless low paying school funded jobs. Some schools use to game the stats by counting all employment (even those working at burger-doodle)… “school funded” is just another game.

Just post the link. I'll turn it into a photo
I tried again. Little notice pops up You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img].. No biggie. Probably some TLS boomer rule about charts or whatever... night all!

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 am

Micdiddy wrote:
sfhaze wrote:

Like I said, US News was thread-relevant. Then you said something weird and meaningless as if you had no idea what was going on, and I responded with ???.
I also said US News was not the sole reason for my proclamations, a point you seem to be conveniently and arrogantly ignoring (instead of reading what I and many other people have been writing out).
And for the record, yes I do think 8 and 9 spot drops, especially coupled with similar drops in the past years, DO make a difference in the caliber if the school. Omg I must be such a noob. Obviously no one else thinks these ranking mean anything which is why no one pays any attention to them at all. Lol? Jokes on me I guess.
Ok, you're right, as always. Carry on?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:52 am

Desert Fox wrote:Why did Boalt drop? Because it didn't game the system by employing 15-20% of it's class like schools like UVA did. In their 2011 ABA data, UVA claimed it was employing 64 graduates with full time, JD required jobs. That's hilarious, but that get's them 96% on USNEWS.
True dat.

Add to this George Washington, reporting a ludicrous 88% employment rate. lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”