UGA (instate + $) vs BC, BU, Emory, WashU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WanderingPondering

UGA (instate + $) vs BC, BU, Emory, WashU

Postby WanderingPondering » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:50 am

UGA will come out to around 10k/year + COL. The others would have around a 20k/year discount on their (higher) tuition. Worth it to turn down the cheap option for the fancier schools?

rad lulz

Re: UGA (instate + $) vs BC, BU, Emory, WashU

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:56 am

Are you from GA

What is total CoA at each. Do the math

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 am

rad lulz wrote:Are you from GA

What is total CoA at each. Do the math

These don't include interest but based on the info he posted I would venture these are close:

UGA - 78k
BU - 119k
BC - 119k
WUSTL - 145k
Emory - 147k

I think WUSTL and Emory are out. I lean towards BC but it's a little more debt than I'd be comfortable with. Manageable if you get Biglaw but that's ~30% chance.

If you don't want Biglaw, I'd consider attending GA State for free.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:04 am

Emory's firm placement isn't a whole lot better than UGA's, certainly not enough to justify the cost. For a deep south kid, I'd rule out both of the Boston schools immediately. WashU would be the only other school I would consider, as their medium-and-up firm placement is decent. But, it all comes down to what you are looking for: if you really want to work in a firm or are shooting for Big Law, then UGA isn't the place to be. If you just want to take a shot at the legal world without racking up 6-figures in debt, UGA is a good choice.

Have you applied to GA State? Very similar numbers to UGA, and if you can get any aid at all it's extremely cheap.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 am

If you aren't from Georgia, don't go to UGA or GA State.

WashU and Emory are too expensive.

BU/BC are a little too expensive. If you could get their COA's under $100k, they would be the best option here. It's a buyers market for JD's, so negotiate away.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:19 am

UGA

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:00 am

Really it depends on where you want to practice. Do you want to be in Boston or Atlanta? Either way the higher prices schools are a gamble, imo.

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Have you applied to GA State? Very similar numbers to UGA, and if you can get any aid at all it's extremely cheap.

Very untrue. If you want to work in Atlanta, UGA and Emory are much better choices employment wise.

UGA also isn't much more expensive, especially after the higher cost of living expenses are added in for GSU. Even if you went to GSU for free (no guarantee), you're looking at a 20k difference over three years, if that.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:33 pm

UGA.

Athens is a lot cheaper than Atlanta.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:47 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Emory's firm placement isn't a whole lot better than UGA's, certainly not enough to justify the cost. For a deep south kid, I'd rule out both of the Boston schools immediately. WashU would be the only other school I would consider, as their medium-and-up firm placement is decent. But, it all comes down to what you are looking for: if you really want to work in a firm or are shooting for Big Law, then UGA isn't the place to be. If you just want to take a shot at the legal world without racking up 6-figures in debt, UGA is a good choice.

Have you applied to GA State? Very similar numbers to UGA, and if you can get any aid at all it's extremely cheap.

I am from GA, but would rather go to UGA for 10k/year rather than GA st for free, and Athens is less expensive than Atlanta.

I have some "ties" to Boston, but nothing groundbreaking.

I'm basically trying to figure out how much $ I'd need in order to make one of the private schools a more attractive decision than UGA. I'm still going to negotiate, obviously. The Boston schools, BC specifically, seem to place much better than all the other schools on my list.

cm2008

Postby cm2008 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:35 pm

I'd say cross off WUSTL and Emory unless some significant scholly $$ comes your way, which it very well could- I didn't get any scholly info from emory at least until very late in the cycle last yr (when I applied). Is Boston where you really want to be? If so, I'd say it's probably worth the risk of more student loan debt from BC/BU as opposed to cheaper cost at UGA, but with the qualifier that Boston/New England is simply where you want to live/practice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”