Attending Rutgers-Newark? interesting situation Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Smjocn

New

Attending Rutgers-Newark? interesting situation

Post by Smjocn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Rutgers-Newark is the only law school I've gotten into. I am wondering if I should attend (I do like the price) or if I should wait a year and re-apply to schools. Here why I would do that: first of all I really want to do entertainment law. And Rutgers does not seem to have much of a concentration in that. Second, I really REALLY do not want to end up in Jersey after graduation. I've lived in Jersey my whole life and I just really want to get out and go to the west coast or colorado. At the same time, I would def be open to living in New York City if I can get a job there. I just know that ending up in New Jersey with a job and living there would by far be the biggest disappointment for me. Any advice would be great.

And I want to do intellectual property, copyright type law, with Movies and Music, not sports.

SemperLegal

Silver

Re: Attending Rutgers-Newark? interesting situation

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Smjocn wrote:Rutgers-Newark is the only law school I've gotten into. I am wondering if I should attend (I do like the price) or if I should wait a year and re-apply to schools. Here why I would do that: first of all I really want to do entertainment law. And Rutgers does not seem to have much of a concentration in that. Second, I really REALLY do not want to end up in Jersey after graduation. I've lived in Jersey my whole life and I just really want to get out and go to the west coast or colorado. At the same time, I would def be open to living in New York City if I can get a job there. I just know that ending up in New Jersey with a job and living there would by far be the biggest disappointment for me. Any advice would be great.

And I want to do intellectual property, copyright type law, with Movies and Music, not sports.
I love RU, however don't go. A shockingly good outcome for you is a biglaw job in Newark. There is no chance of you coming out west. Sorry.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:37 pm

What are your numbers?

You should be prepared to live in the region where you go to school, with the exception of very few schools. If you want flexibility after graduation, you'll need to go to a T14. If you don't want to live in NJ, do not go to Rutgers.

I have heard entertainment law is incredibly hard to break into, but I can't speak to its specifics. From what I've read on here, it sounds as if you would need a T14 degree for a shot at that as well.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:40 pm

To do the kind of law you want to do, you need biglaw. It's not happening out of Rutgers-Newark, in NYC or in LA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”