Regent University- Full Ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Regent University- Full Ride

Postby nebula666 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 am

jwinaz wrote:I currently live in Virginia Beach where Regent is located. COL here is actually relatively high for a mid-sized city.

I also looked at Regent a while ago and felt that even with a full ride that the reputation of the school may come back to haunt me in job searches. That is something you may wish to think about. Unless you have an absolute locked-in job after graduation, then it could still be risky. In our down economy, Regent graduates likely wouldn't fair well at all given the low academic ranking + religious fanaticism stereotypes (valid or not).


Oh it's definitely valid. I can't even imagine how screwed these grads are when they get into the real world and realize that Jesus didn't write the constitution with blood from a gunshot wound.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Regent University- Full Ride

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 am

Crowing wrote:Idk if I could deal with Regent for 3 years + a lifetime of Regent alumhood even if it was free AND guaranteed a job.

This too

paul554
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Re: Regent University- Full Ride

Postby paul554 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:01 pm

nebula666 wrote:
Oh it's definitely valid. I can't even imagine how screwed these grads are when they get into the real world and realize that Jesus didn't write the constitution with blood from a gunshot wound.


I think this is a perfect example of the stigma you'll face. Now even though I'm sure this person didn't attend Regent, you know that they will automatically assume that you only learned "Jesus law" and know nothing about "real law". You could be the most gifted student who scores top 1% in your class at Regent and this type of stigma will still follow you for years to come. This sounds really harsh, but I think Regent will see an increase in rank and prestige (god knows they can only go up) when Pat Robertson dies. Every time that man opens his mouth Regent University suffers, even if he no longer has any real ties to the school. If they can distance themselves from him and try to convince people that teaching the law is still their primary purpose, but they encourage christian perspectives NOT interpretations, then perhaps they will be taken more seriously.

Also on an added note, my sister is in dental school (with numerous offers for 130K starting...why did I decide on law school?) and her friends brother went to Regent. He graduated in the top 1/3 of his class with no debt since his father footed the bill. He now lives at home and is STILL trying to find a job! That alone should be reason to seriously reconsider attending Regent.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Regent University- Full Ride

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:21 pm

paul554 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:
Oh it's definitely valid. I can't even imagine how screwed these grads are when they get into the real world and realize that Jesus didn't write the constitution with blood from a gunshot wound.


I think this is a perfect example of the stigma you'll face. Now even though I'm sure this person didn't attend Regent, you know that they will automatically assume that you only learned "Jesus law" and know nothing about "real law". You could be the most gifted student who scores top 1% in your class at Regent and this type of stigma will still follow you for years to come.



Having required courses like "Christian Foundations of Law" doesn't help.

jstr00az
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 am

Re: Regent University- Full Ride

Postby jstr00az » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:42 pm

kalvano wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/regent-university-school-of-law.html

First-year students take the following required courses: Christian Foundations of Law, contracts, torts, civil procedure, property and legal writing. The workload is large and the curve is set to a strict C average, both of which have resulted in about 14 percent of students dropping out after the first year.


Avoid, unless you want to be an attorney for the Heritage Foundation or The Christian Coalition or Focus on the Family. The fact that you went to Regent will raise the question about whether you are a fundamentalist Christian who will be shoving your beliefs down co-workers throats. Your resume will go straight into the trash. Even "conservative movement" type organizations will red-flag you as too zealous. You might be able to score a job in some church or something or in the home school movement.

Note: I used to work in the conservative movement, and don't know how many Regent Univ. resumes I tossed aside.

User avatar
bluepenguin
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Re: Regent University- Full Ride

Postby bluepenguin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:29 pm

jstr00az wrote:Note: I used to work in the conservative movement, and don't know how many Regent Univ. resumes I tossed aside.


What does working in the conservative movement mean? Like Cato?

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Regent University- Full Ride

Postby Yukos » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:35 pm

bluepenguin wrote:
jstr00az wrote:Note: I used to work in the conservative movement, and don't know how many Regent Univ. resumes I tossed aside.


What does working in the conservative movement mean? Like Cato?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_c ... institutes

User avatar
bluepenguin
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Re: Regent University- Full Ride

Postby bluepenguin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Gotcha. Thanks




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests