How should I use LST to evaluate schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
patricksouthern

How should I use LST to evaluate schools?

Postby patricksouthern » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 pm

We're getting down to the final few weeks before seat deposits come due at many schools, and applicants like me (and many of us) are faced with difficult decisions. Obviously, employment prospects are an extremely important portion of the decision-making process, and the data at Law School Transparency has been invaluable in garnering a bit of knowledge about each school's strength in that area.

My questions are somewhat broad: For those of you who are beyond 0Ls, how did you use LST in informing your choice once you narrowed the field down to your "final X schools"? Did you simply look at the schools' score? Dig deeper into the data for certain traits (biglaw placement, clerkship placement)? Did the disparity in scores between your final few choices ultimately lead you to where you chose to attend?

For those of you who are planning to be 1Ls this fall, how do you plan to use LST in your decision-making process?

Tiago Splitter

Re: How should I use LST to evaluate schools?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:38 pm

The only outcomes we know to be almost universally good are placement into large firms and article III clerkships. There are other good outcomes, but these are tough to figure out from the limited data provided by the ABA on each schools' LST page. It's up to you to decide how to define large firm; generally it's either firms with 50+ attorneys or 100+.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:17 pm

tagged

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:58 pm

I am an 0L. I am using LST data in conjunction with the "unemployment" data rayiner compiled, as well as anecdotal information from 2Ls/3Ls about cutoffs/OCI on TLS. Pretty hard to get a full picture using only one of these.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:00 pm

banjo wrote:I am an 0L. I am using LST data in conjunction with the "unemployment" data rayiner compiled, as well as anecdotal information from 2Ls/3Ls about cutoffs/OCI on TLS. Pretty hard to get a full picture using only one of these.

+1. Problem with both LST data and rayiner's charts is that its a little dated. Also talk to career services - sometimes they are willing to disclose information that's not yet public.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Don't. Schools have proprietary trends and patterns that make comparing raw or even adjusted data totally useless.

HYS >
CCN (if you want NYC, U of C if you want Chicago) >
T14 >
UCLA USC Vandy Texas (if and only if you are going to practice in the region the school is in, and have a halfway decent scholarship >
the top regional school in the region you want to practice with damn near a full ride >
TTT where you don't have any significant debt (even for living) IF you want shit law >
don't go to school

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:07 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:tagged

Is there any plan to perhaps include multiple years' worth of data into LSTscore reports? I feel like this would held applicants a lot by giving a more complete picture of trends and up/down years.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Don't. Schools have proprietary trends and patterns that make comparing raw or even adjusted data totally useless.

HYS >
T14 >
UCLA USC Vandy Texas (if and only if you are going to practice in the region the school is in, and have a halfway decent scholarship >
the top regional school in the region you want to practice with damn near a full ride >
TTT where you don't have any significant debt (even for living) IF you want shit law >
don't go to school

Just to clarify -- all of CCN are fine for NYC, but Chicago if you also might want Chicago?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:12 pm

banjo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Don't. Schools have proprietary trends and patterns that make comparing raw or even adjusted data totally useless.

HYS >
T14 >
don't go to school

Just to clarify -- all of CCN are fine for NYC, but Chicago if you also might want Chicago?

Yea CCN dominates NYC firms pretty hard. But don't seem to do so hot outside. U of C dominates Chicago as well (but so does Northwestern, head to head it's pretty close), and is way better for Chicago than the other t14 (again minus northwestern).

Generally, you pick the t14 that is in your region.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Crowing wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:tagged

Is there any plan to perhaps include multiple years' worth of data into LSTscore reports? I feel like this would held applicants a lot by giving a more complete picture of trends and up/down years.

When multiple years of data can be meaningfully aggregated, yes. I think we're another year away from that (Class of 2013).

In the meantime, I hope people view multiple years of data on the LST school profiles.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
banjo wrote:

HYS >
T14 >
don't go to school

Yea CCN dominates NYC firms pretty hard. But don't seem to do so hot outside. U of C dominates Chicago as well (but so does Northwestern, head to head it's pretty close), and is way better for Chicago than the other t14 (again minus northwestern).

Generally, you pick the t14 that is in your region.

Thanks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”