/Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Penn (JD/MBA possibly?)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cruxisfalcon

/Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Penn (JD/MBA possibly?)

Postby cruxisfalcon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Which is a better choice if I want to work for a top regional firm (in a secondary market such as Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, Houston, etc. - Not NY or Chicago) that I have fairly strong ties to? I'd consider NY only for a V10 firm like Cravath, Skadden, STB etc. If it makes any difference, I would have two or so years of business WE before I attend (Investment Banking/Consulting) at a name-brand firm (idk how much that would help outside of NY or if it makes more of a difference at one school or another).

Also, does anyone know anything about the JD/MBA program at either school and whether it's worth it? I'm fairly set on law, but would having the MBA be an asset for firm recruiting or in case I wanted to jump back into finance? Is the tuition different if you're doing the three year program and if you get $$$ from either school can you use it for the joint degree?

SportsFan

Re: /Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Penn (JD/MBA possibly?)

Postby SportsFan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:25 pm

So basically, which is better for getting you back to a secondary market in the South/Texas? I'd just go to whichever gives you the best scholarship; I know Texas firms love Penn students with strong Texas ties, and I'd assume they'd love students in similar positions from Columbia and Chicago.

As for getting a JD/MBA, IMO it's not worth it except in really limited circumstances, and it can scare off firms who think you may want to jump back to finance.

cruxisfalcon

Postby cruxisfalcon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:53 am

Yeah, what worries me about the JD/MBA is that my previews w/e may make me look like even more of a flight risk. Anyone have any insight on this?

cruxisfalcon

Postby cruxisfalcon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

bump

Return to “Choosing a Law School”