Best Law School for Practice in Tampa

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rad lulz

Re: Best Law School for Practice in Tampa

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Barry.

Nova

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Nova

scratch that. Cooley is opening a campus in tampa.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53 pm

It is simple enough. Look up the firm, then tab associates and school. I spent 10 minutes and can say that Stetson and UFlorida were well represented (surprisingly UMiami had zero). Given that their grad date is noted, simple enough to figure if they were recently hired, or not. Sample firm was Carlton Felds.

meowllory

Postby meowllory » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Sheffield wrote:It is simple enough. Look up the firm, then tab associates and school. I spent 10 minutes and can say that Stetson and UFlorida were well represented (surprisingly UMiami had zero). Given that their grad date is noted, simple enough to figure if they were recently hired, or not. Sample firm was Carlton Felds.

What website did you find this information at?

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:07 pm

meowllory wrote:
Sheffield wrote:It is simple enough. Look up the firm, then tab associates and school. I spent 10 minutes and can say that Stetson and UFlorida were well represented (surprisingly UMiami had zero). Given that their grad date is noted, simple enough to figure if they were recently hired, or not. Sample firm was Carlton Felds.

Give it a shot. Click professionals.... ez enough from there.
http://www.carltonfields.com/

Edit: I shall walk back what I wrote about UMiami, they are well represented (I must have m mistakenly hit MiamiU or some other school earlier).
Last edited by Sheffield on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:14 pm

After doing a little more digging, I want to retract what I said about Stetson initially.

Avoid Stetson Law like the plague due to bad job prospects and extremely high tuition. It's not worth it, and most of the hires that you guys are finding were way prior to the recession.

DO NOT ATTEND STETSON.

meowllory

Postby meowllory » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Sheffield wrote:
meowllory wrote:

Give it a shot. Click professionals.... ez enough from there.
http://www.carltonfields.com/

Edit: I shall walk back what I wrote about UMiami, they are well represented (I must have m mistakenly hit MiamiU or some other school earlier).

thanks!

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:If you have ties, Yale. If you don't have ties, nowhere.

Stetson has horrible job prospects and insanely high tuition.

It's been around forever so people think it's a good option.

Most people who can get into UF and FSU get a full ride to Stetson, no? I worked for 3 firms in Tampa (only one was an NLJ250) and all of them praised Stetson. I wouldn't recommend PAYING for it, but for free to work in Tampa... that doesn't seem like a bad option to me.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:

Most people who can get into UF and FSU get a full ride to Stetson, no? I worked for 3 firms in Tampa (only one was an NLJ250) and all of them praised Stetson. I wouldn't recommend PAYING for it, but for free to work in Tampa... that doesn't seem like a bad option to me.

Must have missed the part where only half get real jobs

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:22 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:

living expenses would put you at 60k in the hole for a coin-flip at a job

Don't Attend Stetson law.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

Is UF much better, though, that its worth paying for? http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:26 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

Is UF much better, though, that its worth paying for? http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida

Stetson costs twice as much and has higher living expenses.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I was assuming sticker at UF vs. free at Stetson (that was the option I had when I applied to both school and I think it is a pretty common scenerio). Agreed that Stetson has a higher cost of living, though.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:29 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

Yes, in that I'm pretty sure the data shows the jobs you will get are better, it won't limit you to
Tampa/St. Pete, and it's cheaper.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

Stetson ABA Numbers

Solo 12
2-10 Attorneys 53
11-25 Attorneys 13
26-50 Attorneys 10
51-100 Attorneys 5
101-250 Attorneys 8
251-500 Attorneys 2
501+ Attorneys 2

In a class of over 300...this is SPS

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:32 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I was assuming sticker at UF vs. free at Stetson (that was the option I had when I applied to both school and I think it is a pretty common scenerio). Agreed that Stetson has a higher cost of living, though.

If i had a gun to my head I would take UF.

Stetson Law is a bad choice for life.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:32 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:If you have ties, HYS. If you don't have ties, nowhere.

FTFY

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I would (and have?) chosen the same option, I was just pointing out that IN Tampa, and only in Tampa, Stetson does have a decent reputation and isn't a jump off of a cliff if you can go for free. :)

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:38 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I would (and have?) chosen the same option, I was just pointing out that IN Tampa, and only in Tampa, Stetson does have a decent reputation and isn't a jump off of a cliff if you can go for free. :)

I partially agree.

Old people in florida are misled to think Stetson is a good option since it's the oldest school.
I've even heard some old men tell me personally a while back, "Go to stetson. That's a good school." This was coming from old men at cocktail parties that don't know shit about shit and are just saying things.

Once you do some digging, as I just have, you realize that Stetson Law is a shit option.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
I partially agree.

Old people in florida are misled to think Stetson is a good option since it's the oldest school.
I've even heard some old men tell me personally a while back, "Go to stetson. That's a good school." This was coming from old men at cocktail parties that don't know shit about shit and are just saying things.

Once you do some digging, as I just have, you realize that Stetson Law is a shit option.

Oh, I know. I get asked every single day why I'm not going to the "best law school in the state"... they mean Campbell. :?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

"Decent reputation" doesn't mean shit when the employment numbers don't match.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

"Decent reputation" doesn't mean shit when the employment numbers don't match.

Looking at employment numbers for every school in Florida (every school in general) makes me want to throw up.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:

Looking at employment numbers for every school in Florida (every school in general) makes me want to throw up.

basically.

that's why I left the state for Lol skewl.
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:Looking at employment numbers for every school in Florida (every school in general) makes me want to throw up.

Understandably.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I partially agree.

I've even heard some old men tell me personally a while back, "Go to stetson. That's a good school."
This was coming from old men at cocktail parties that don't know shit about shit and are just saying things.

Very true, older people think very highly of Stetson in FL. I've had the same types of convos over the last couple of years. However, I do think Stetson is a good school. Are there better ones? Of course. But most importatly, is it a good choice? that depends on your own ambitions and the scholly money they give you. DO NOT GO W/O SCHOLLY $$

Return to “Choosing a Law School”