GW v WUSTL v BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shrek

GW v WUSTL v BU

Postby shrek » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Last edited by shrek on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Re: GW v WUSTL v BU

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:10 pm

None of these schools have a national reputation and money does matter.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 pm

cinephile wrote:None of these schools have a national reputation and money does matter.

This. And national reputation is largely a myth. Where do you have ties to? And if national reputation is shorthand for NY big law, you need a T14.

shrek

Postby shrek » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:17 pm

There are equal partial scholarships at all of them, so money won't be the deciding factor.

Not New York, I have ties in Boston, Denver, and possibly Chicago. Not looking for big law just some flexibility on where I decide to end up

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:21 pm

shrek wrote:There are equal partial scholarships at all of them, so money won't be the deciding factor.

Not New York, I have ties in Boston, Denver, and possibly Chicago. Not looking for big law just some flexibility on where I decide to end up

How much money? It sounds like an easy choice for BU.
however, you really should be concerned about money unless someone else is footing the bill.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Well, how are you paying for the rest of it? If you have money saved or your parents are paying, I guess you can proceed with caution. I mean, you'll be throwing good money away, but you won't be in debt so that's one good thing.

BU does not place well, at all. If you don't end up with biglaw (which 2/3s of the class won't) it's a long fall from there. There's minimal placement in public interest/government and clerkships. Most people end up doing shitlaw or worse, getting paid by the school to volunteer for a year. And god only knows what happens to those people at the end of that year.

I hear GW is exactly the same, maybe worse.

But if you don't have ties to St. Louis, then WUSTL also sounds like a bad choice.

So basically, bad choices all around. Why is a full ride to Denver not an option? That could've been okay.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:34 pm

The fact that you aren't naming the dollar amount correlates with the real answer here being retake. Cinephile is exactly right.

shrek

Postby shrek » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm

Last edited by shrek on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 pm

shrek wrote:Hi, alright.

So 15k per year but I'm in the process of negotiating. Also, yes, parents are paying, and like I said before let's PRETEND money doesn't matter even though obviously it does but I've got that part covered.

I have heard WUSTL can place in Chicago and that most people there don't stay in St Louis, or is that not a thing

BU sounds like it might be mostly limited to just the Boston market?

Do not hope for Chicago. Chicago's legal market has not done well in recent years and WUSTL is kind of far down the line in terms of placement in Chicago. BU has decent placement in NYC too, but only for the top of the class. The range of schools you're looking at will only place the top of the class. You have less than a coin flip's chance of gainful employment.

If you parents have money to burn and you want to go on a 3 year vacation, pick your favorite city and go. But don't expect a decent job out of this experience, because the odds are overwhelmingly against you.

Why can't you retake and apply again next year?

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:54 pm

cinephile wrote:
shrek wrote:Hi, alright.

So 15k per year but I'm in the process of negotiating. Also, yes, parents are paying, and like I said before let's PRETEND money doesn't matter even though obviously it does but I've got that part covered.

I have heard WUSTL can place in Chicago and that most people there don't stay in St Louis, or is that not a thing

BU sounds like it might be mostly limited to just the Boston market?

Do not hope for Chicago. Chicago's legal market has not done well in recent years and WUSTL is kind of far down the line in terms of placement in Chicago. BU has decent placement in NYC too, but only for the top of the class. The range of schools you're looking at will only place the top of the class. You have less than a coin flip's chance of gainful employment.

If you parents have money to burn and you want to go on a 3 year vacation, pick your favorite city and go. But don't expect a decent job out of this experience, because the odds are overwhelmingly against you.

Why can't you retake and apply again next year?

+1

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 pm

BU is definitely the most portable of the three and it gives you a shot at NY (15% end up there). If you don't kick ass at WUSTL, you'll end up working in Missouri. I wouldn't take GW over either of these in your situation.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”