Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kevin0201
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby kevin0201 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:23 pm

I lived in Ann Arbor for a year and studied at Cornell for UG, and I think both cities are pretty similar in terms of weather.

Winters can be pretty brutal. I've seen a couple students in Ithaca going to school by skiing (no joke) lol

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:51 pm

kevin0201 wrote:
Winters can be pretty brutal. I've seen a couple students in Ithaca going to school by skiing (no joke) lol


Seems pretty pointless. The roads are cleared almost instantly every time it snows. Also, who skis up hills?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby Lincoln » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:31 pm

The difference in weather between Ithaca and Ann Arbor is not a reason to choose one over the other (nor, IMHO, a good reason to choose where to invest $200k for your future). Ithaca is smaller than AA and Cornell Law School is smaller than Michigan's but from my experience (attending Cornell, visiting AA, having friends at Michigan), the atmosphere isn't that different. I have had zero problems meeting lots of grad students to get out of the law school bubble, whereas my Michigan friends only hung out with other law students. On the other hand, there are plenty of law students here at Cornell who don't know anyone outside Myron Taylor Hall.

AA is less isolated than Ithaca in that you are closer to a decent-sized airport (Detroit) whereas Ithaca's airport is dinky and flights out around the end of the semester and during breaks tend to be pricey. Ithaca is less isolated than AA in that there are 10-or-so buses per day from Ithaca to NYC, so going to events, see friends, interviews, moving down for summer jobs, etc., are all a lot easier. Most of my friends go to NYC a few times per semester.

AA and Ithaca are both liberal islands in otherwise fairly conservative areas, with all that entails. Ithaca has a great farmers market, a food coop, plenty of mediocre restaurants and bars. I'm sure AA has all of the same.

I've never been to Duke so I have little to say about it except is it really closer to anything except the sun?

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby beachbum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I would absolutely make weather a serious consideration in choosing between peer schools. Winter in Ithaca/AA is a special kind of misery. And law school is stressful enough (particularly at Cornell, which piles on the substantive courses). Unless I had a compelling reason for wanting Cornell or Michigan over Duke, I would choose Duke for the simple fact that North Carolina winters will not make you loathe your very existence.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:57 pm

I've never lived anywhere with good weather, so I guess I don't particularly care.

User avatar
Shmoopy
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby Shmoopy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Winter is one of those things that affect people differently. Personally, I don't enjoy walking through snow or feeling my snot freeze. But I'm also not a pussy, so it doesn't stop from going outside during winter. You have to decide how important the weather is to you, and how much you care about dealing with it.

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 pm

Shmoopy wrote:Winter is one of those things that affect people differently. Personally, I don't enjoy walking through snow or feeling my snot freeze. But I'm also not a pussy, so it doesn't stop from going outside during winter. You have to decide how important the weather is to you, and how much you care about dealing with it.


Goddamn this is a credited poast.

User avatar
bookside
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby bookside » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 am

Soo aside from weather, any other big differences between the three schools??

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Cornell probably has the least going on out of the 3. Idk to be honest I like it. I am someone that loves to party, but I couldn't handle much more and focus on grades. Just the right amount of temptation here. Can't really speak on the other two because I've never been there. However, I know that it would be hard for me to concentrate with Big 10 football/basketball and Duke basketball.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby nebula666 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:11 pm

bookside wrote:
nebula666 wrote:I would say Ann Arbor is the most enjoyable city from a cultural standpoint of these three. It's also by far the most beautiful campus.


What makes it the most enjoyable?

Thanks Mery and Rhymes. I didn't realize it was so overcast. I am used to cold winters, but where I'm from the sun shines most of the year, even when the temps are in the teens. Does anyone know if Ann Arbor is as overcast as Ithaca?


I don't go to any of these schools but I've visited Ann Arbor a few times and I can say it is probably the coolest city I've been to.

The Midwestern culture is pretty awesome. People are ridiculously nice, non-cliquey, and accepting. While obviously not everyone from the law school is going to be from the Midwest, I would imagine it is a more easy going school than Duke especially. I can't say I've met a pretentious Michigander in my life, short of the hipster fest that Detroit has become.

I really enjoy the food and drink in the city as well. I'm kind of a beer snob douche-bag, and Ann Arbor has some of the best local brews in the country. There are a lot of great single-standing, family owned places instead of the same restaurant chains you find everywhere in most college towns. Places like Zingerman's, West End, Angelo's, Jolly Pumpkin, Krazy Jim's and others are all fantastic.

Ann Arbor is a very artsy city with a ton of museums. If you are in to that sort of thing, it can be a really cool place to be. The Street Art Fair is probably my favorite but there are a ton of similar attractions, both year round and seasonally.

If you look at the pictures of law school thread, the general consensus is that UM is one of, if not the most beautiful law school campuses in the country. I personally don't know if I could handle the winter there but it is fantastic to look at.

This is all incredibly biased and anecdotal because I haven't been to Durahm or Ithaca, nor have I actually lived in Ann Arbor, but it's a very cool place to be.

User avatar
DaleCooper
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:07 am

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby DaleCooper » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 pm

All the people saying that the weather is the biggest difference are right. Duke is clearly the correct choice, as the schools are all basically the same thing, aside from the dominant sport and the architecture.

That said, Duke and Michigan tend to attract a slightly more laid-back kind of law student than Cornell. But between those two, you're going to get more or less the same random mix of smart people... just like you would at any other top school without a well-defined student culture. Both law schools have great facilities, though Duke's lean more toward "swanky office park" and Michigan's lean more toward Hogwarts. The towns are also pretty similar... a random and tightly-packed mix of college students, grad students and professors, the working poor, thirtysomething hipsters, wealthy alumni, mentally ill vagrants, politically active townies, artists, convicted felons, and foodies. Ann Arbor is much more walkable than Durham, and slightly prettier, but if that's important to you then you can just live in Chapel Hill and drive 15 minutes to class in the morning.

I personally would choose sunlight and subtropical weather over Helsinki-with-better-football. But Duke and Michigan are both great schools in cool towns, and you're not going to regret either decision.

User avatar
bookside
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby bookside » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 am

nebula666 wrote:
bookside wrote:
nebula666 wrote:I would say Ann Arbor is the most enjoyable city from a cultural standpoint of these three. It's also by far the most beautiful campus.


What makes it the most enjoyable?

Thanks Mery and Rhymes. I didn't realize it was so overcast. I am used to cold winters, but where I'm from the sun shines most of the year, even when the temps are in the teens. Does anyone know if Ann Arbor is as overcast as Ithaca?


I don't go to any of these schools but I've visited Ann Arbor a few times and I can say it is probably the coolest city I've been to.

The Midwestern culture is pretty awesome. People are ridiculously nice, non-cliquey, and accepting. While obviously not everyone from the law school is going to be from the Midwest, I would imagine it is a more easy going school than Duke especially. I can't say I've met a pretentious Michigander in my life, short of the hipster fest that Detroit has become.

I really enjoy the food and drink in the city as well. I'm kind of a beer snob douche-bag, and Ann Arbor has some of the best local brews in the country. There are a lot of great single-standing, family owned places instead of the same restaurant chains you find everywhere in most college towns. Places like Zingerman's, West End, Angelo's, Jolly Pumpkin, Krazy Jim's and others are all fantastic.

Ann Arbor is a very artsy city with a ton of museums. If you are in to that sort of thing, it can be a really cool place to be. The Street Art Fair is probably my favorite but there are a ton of similar attractions, both year round and seasonally.

If you look at the pictures of law school thread, the general consensus is that UM is one of, if not the most beautiful law school campuses in the country. I personally don't know if I could handle the winter there but it is fantastic to look at.

This is all incredibly biased and anecdotal because I haven't been to Durahm or Ithaca, nor have I actually lived in Ann Arbor, but it's a very cool place to be.


Gah that sounds awesome...

User avatar
bookside
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby bookside » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 am

DaleCooper wrote:All the people saying that the weather is the biggest difference are right. Duke is clearly the correct choice, as the schools are all basically the same thing, aside from the dominant sport and the architecture.

That said, Duke and Michigan tend to attract a slightly more laid-back kind of law student than Cornell. But between those two, you're going to get more or less the same random mix of smart people... just like you would at any other top school without a well-defined student culture. Both law schools have great facilities, though Duke's lean more toward "swanky office park" and Michigan's lean more toward Hogwarts. The towns are also pretty similar... a random and tightly-packed mix of college students, grad students and professors, the working poor, thirtysomething hipsters, wealthy alumni, mentally ill vagrants, politically active townies, artists, convicted felons, and foodies. Ann Arbor is much more walkable than Durham, and slightly prettier, but if that's important to you then you can just live in Chapel Hill and drive 15 minutes to class in the morning.

I personally would choose sunlight and subtropical weather over Helsinki-with-better-football. But Duke and Michigan are both great schools in cool towns, and you're not going to regret either decision.



...but how could I say no to Hogwarts?!

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Culture of Duke v. Michigan v. Cornell

Postby beachbum » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:40 am

bookside wrote:...but how could I say no to Hogwarts?!


If you want to go to Michigan, go to Michigan. There isn't really a wrong choice here. You're looking at three peer schools with strong job prospects and similar cultures. The big differences have mostly been highlighted already (weather, location, sports, class size, substantive courses, facilities). Otherwise, unless you're leaning heavily towards working in the Midwest or South (and, even then, I'm skeptical of Michigan's/Duke's ability to open up those regions sans ties), then you can justifiably attend whichever school you would prefer to spend three years at.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KPUSN07 and 7 guests