How much is too much to turn down? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Teflon_Don

Bronze

How much is too much to turn down?

Post by Teflon_Don » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 am

Here are the schools I'm considering (still waiting on HSCC):
- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

The other three haven't made scholarship offers yet, but I'm figuring I'll get 60-75k at at least one of them. I'd like to work in California, but I'm not die hard set on it either. Is turning down the UVA scholarship for 60-75k at one of the other schools unjustifiable? I'm pretty sure this will be my dilemma unless I land one of H/S. thanks for the help.

Gold

Re: How much is too much to turn down?

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:03 am

No point in making a decision until you actually receive other schollies.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 am

InGoodFaith wrote:No point in making a decision until you actually receive other schollies.
+1. Just be patient.

jym_dawg

Bronze

Post by jym_dawg » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Here are the schools I'm considering (still waiting on HSCC):
- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

The other three haven't made scholarship offers yet, but I'm figuring I'll get 60-75k at at least one of them. I'd like to work in California, but I'm not die hard set on it either. Is turning down the UVA scholarship for 60-75k at one of the other schools unjustifiable? I'm pretty sure this will be my dilemma unless I land one of H/S. thanks for the help.
Numbers twin in basically the same spot here. Not counting on much if anything from NYU and if you get Wilson at Penn that maxes out at 75k. Figure the COL is gonna be at least another 10k more in Philly than C'ville and that's a minimum 40k difference. Very hard to justify that difference for what is a peer school IMO.

UVA under this circumstance... but I guess you'll have to wait for B's offer.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 pm

- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

Basically, your choice will be between Berkeley and whatever school offers significantly more money.
Penn and NYU shouldn't be on your radar anymore

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm

dingbat wrote:
- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

Basically, your choice will be between Berkeley and whatever school offers significantly more money.
That's interesting. Like I said I'm not die hard set on CA, but I'd definitely like to live there post-grad. Do you think it's better to try the Berkeley matching scholarship with my UVA scholly or wait for a lower offer at a better ranked school (if that comes, for instance Chicago)

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:
dingbat wrote:
- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

That's interesting. Like I said I'm not die hard set on CA, but I'd definitely like to live there post-grad. Do you think it's better to try the Berkeley matching scholarship with my UVA scholly or wait for a lower offer at a better ranked school (if that comes, for instance Chicago)
I'd mostly agree with dingbat, but not in all circumstances. If you could get $105k at Berkeley that's a no-brainer. But I'd consider taking $50, 60k, etc. at CCN over the UVA scholarship if your decision comes down to that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”