How much is too much to turn down?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

How much is too much to turn down?

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 am

Here are the schools I'm considering (still waiting on HSCC):
- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

The other three haven't made scholarship offers yet, but I'm figuring I'll get 60-75k at at least one of them. I'd like to work in California, but I'm not die hard set on it either. Is turning down the UVA scholarship for 60-75k at one of the other schools unjustifiable? I'm pretty sure this will be my dilemma unless I land one of H/S. thanks for the help.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: How much is too much to turn down?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:03 am

No point in making a decision until you actually receive other schollies.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: How much is too much to turn down?

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 am

InGoodFaith wrote:No point in making a decision until you actually receive other schollies.


+1. Just be patient.

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: How much is too much to turn down?

Postby jym_dawg » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Here are the schools I'm considering (still waiting on HSCC):
- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

The other three haven't made scholarship offers yet, but I'm figuring I'll get 60-75k at at least one of them. I'd like to work in California, but I'm not die hard set on it either. Is turning down the UVA scholarship for 60-75k at one of the other schools unjustifiable? I'm pretty sure this will be my dilemma unless I land one of H/S. thanks for the help.


Numbers twin in basically the same spot here. Not counting on much if anything from NYU and if you get Wilson at Penn that maxes out at 75k. Figure the COL is gonna be at least another 10k more in Philly than C'ville and that's a minimum 40k difference. Very hard to justify that difference for what is a peer school IMO.

UVA under this circumstance... but I guess you'll have to wait for B's offer.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: How much is too much to turn down?

Postby dingbat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Here are the schools I'm considering (still waiting on HSCC):
- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

The other three haven't made scholarship offers yet, but I'm figuring I'll get 60-75k at at least one of them. I'd like to work in California, but I'm not die hard set on it either. Is turning down the UVA scholarship for 60-75k at one of the other schools unjustifiable? I'm pretty sure this will be my dilemma unless I land one of H/S. thanks for the help.

Basically, your choice will be between Berkeley and whatever school offers significantly more money.
Penn and NYU shouldn't be on your radar anymore

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: How much is too much to turn down?

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm

dingbat wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:Here are the schools I'm considering (still waiting on HSCC):
- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

The other three haven't made scholarship offers yet, but I'm figuring I'll get 60-75k at at least one of them. I'd like to work in California, but I'm not die hard set on it either. Is turning down the UVA scholarship for 60-75k at one of the other schools unjustifiable? I'm pretty sure this will be my dilemma unless I land one of H/S. thanks for the help.

Basically, your choice will be between Berkeley and whatever school offers significantly more money.
Penn and NYU shouldn't be on your radar anymore


That's interesting. Like I said I'm not die hard set on CA, but I'd definitely like to live there post-grad. Do you think it's better to try the Berkeley matching scholarship with my UVA scholly or wait for a lower offer at a better ranked school (if that comes, for instance Chicago)

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: How much is too much to turn down?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:Here are the schools I'm considering (still waiting on HSCC):
- Berkeley
- UVA (105k scholarship)
- Penn
- NYU

The other three haven't made scholarship offers yet, but I'm figuring I'll get 60-75k at at least one of them. I'd like to work in California, but I'm not die hard set on it either. Is turning down the UVA scholarship for 60-75k at one of the other schools unjustifiable? I'm pretty sure this will be my dilemma unless I land one of H/S. thanks for the help.

Basically, your choice will be between Berkeley and whatever school offers significantly more money.
Penn and NYU shouldn't be on your radar anymore


That's interesting. Like I said I'm not die hard set on CA, but I'd definitely like to live there post-grad. Do you think it's better to try the Berkeley matching scholarship with my UVA scholly or wait for a lower offer at a better ranked school (if that comes, for instance Chicago)

I'd mostly agree with dingbat, but not in all circumstances. If you could get $105k at Berkeley that's a no-brainer. But I'd consider taking $50, 60k, etc. at CCN over the UVA scholarship if your decision comes down to that.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AprilLau, splitterfromhell and 2 guests