Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:42 am

Hi,
Sorry if there are already forums about this. Would happily be referred to them. For someone interested in public interest and only public interest, what does everyone think is the wisest choice?
1) Lower half of the T10/T14 at sticker
2) T30 schools at about 15K/yr (after scholarship)
3) Schools ranked 40-60 for full scholarship (no stipulations)?
Thanks!

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:43 am

School with the best LRAP.

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:45 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:School with the best LRAP.


Thanks! Any opinions?

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:55 am

Are the schools you're considering in the same region/state as where you'd like to end up? (besides the top 14 ones)

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 am

JJC10 wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:School with the best LRAP.


Thanks! Any opinions?


Georgetown has a killer LRAP and it's within your range.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:03 am

full ride

you can never guarantee getting the PI job in the first place or keeping it for the length of the LRAP period - esp as most these programs are now tied into IBR. If after a few years you want to quit and do something else or take time off for kids, then what?

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 am

eav1277 wrote:Are the schools you're considering in the same region/state as where you'd like to end up? (besides the top 14 ones)

To be honest, probably not, although I'm not settled on where exactly I'd like to end up...the hope is that these degrees might carry
Edit: Ahh, sorry, yes, the non-T14 ones are in a place I'd be ok ending up
Last edited by JJC10 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:05 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
JJC10 wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:School with the best LRAP.


Thanks! Any opinions?


Georgetown has a killer LRAP and it's within your range.


Thanks :)

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:06 am

cinephile wrote:full ride

you can never guarantee getting the PI job in the first place or keeping it for the length of the LRAP period - esp as most these programs are now tied into IBR. If after a few years you want to quit and do something else or take time off for kids, then what?


Good point..Although my understanding of IBR (or rather the public service loan forgiveness program) was not that the job had to be continuous, just that you had to make a total of 120 payments?

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:10 am

JJC10 wrote:
eav1277 wrote:Are the schools you're considering in the same region/state as where you'd like to end up? (besides the top 14 ones)

To be honest, probably not, although I'm not settled on where exactly I'd like to end up...the hope is that these degrees might carry


If you don't choose a T-14 and you're interested in PI, it might help to be in the same region/state where you think you want to end up (since you don't exactly know...that makes it a little tougher)

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:14 am

eav1277 wrote:
JJC10 wrote:
eav1277 wrote:Are the schools you're considering in the same region/state as where you'd like to end up? (besides the top 14 ones)

To be honest, probably not, although I'm not settled on where exactly I'd like to end up...the hope is that these degrees might carry


If you don't choose a T-14 and you're interested in PI, it might help to be in the same region/state where you think you want to end up (since you don't exactly know...that makes it a little tougher)


Yea, the non-T14 ones are mostly in the big city where I currently live, where I wonder if most of the pi jobs go to HYS grads anyways..

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:26 am

JJC10 wrote:
cinephile wrote:full ride

you can never guarantee getting the PI job in the first place or keeping it for the length of the LRAP period - esp as most these programs are now tied into IBR. If after a few years you want to quit and do something else or take time off for kids, then what?


Good point..Although my understanding of IBR (or rather the public service loan forgiveness program) was not that the job had to be continuous, just that you had to make a total of 120 payments?


Yes, but wouldn't it be better to just be debt free and down with it up front rather than searching for another qualifying job halfway through?

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:42 am

cinephile wrote:
JJC10 wrote:
cinephile wrote:full ride

you can never guarantee getting the PI job in the first place or keeping it for the length of the LRAP period - esp as most these programs are now tied into IBR. If after a few years you want to quit and do something else or take time off for kids, then what?


Good point..Although my understanding of IBR (or rather the public service loan forgiveness program) was not that the job had to be continuous, just that you had to make a total of 120 payments?


Yes, but wouldn't it be better to just be debt free and down with it up front rather than searching for another qualifying job halfway through?

Totally. But no matter what going into debt based on living expenses :(

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 am

What kind of PI?

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 am

Either way it's a gamble...full ride plus COL (lower prospects less debt) or sticker plus COL (better prospects but you better hope you stay employed/find PI work for the LRAP/IBR to kick in).

Does the lower school also have a LRAP?

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:20 am

eav1277 wrote:Either way it's a gamble...full ride plus COL (lower prospects less debt) or sticker plus COL (better prospects but you better hope you stay employed/find PI work for the LRAP/IBR to kick in).

Does the lower school also have a LRAP?


Hadn't thought to ask yet, good point. I guess I'm also still fuzzy on the difference between LRAP and IBR/PSLF..

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:21 am

timbs4339 wrote:What kind of PI?


Most likely non-profits, policy stuff would be great too

UAX09
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby UAX09 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:25 am

I would go full ride at a lower ranked school. Even at a T10-14, your chances of getting big law are less than forty percent. Also, given the high attrition rates for big law lawyers, do you really want to be have to work in a job you hate because of the debt? Lots of students want big law, yet surprisingly, lots of people leave big law once they get the big job. A full ride gives you options that you won't have when you are paying sticker.

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:28 am

UAX09 wrote:I would go full ride at a lower ranked school. Even at a T10-14, your chances of getting big law are less than forty percent. Also, given the high attrition rates for big law lawyers, do you really want to be have to work in a job you hate because of the debt? Lots of students want big law, yet surprisingly, lots of people leave big law once they get the big job. A full ride gives you options that you won't have when you are paying sticker.

Thanks, I'm actually only interested in PI, but these points possibly hold especially true for that.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 am

You need more specifics. Do you want the ACLU or a local non-profit?

JJC10
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby JJC10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 am

worldtraveler wrote:You need more specifics. Do you want the ACLU or a local non-profit?

I'd honestly probably be happy with either

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:57 am

JJC10. Feel free to PM me. I'm facing a similar dilemma (I have 2 full ride offers and 1 3/4 scholly). At two of them, I'd be a public interest fellow.

I currently don't have any T-14 offers but I retook the LSAT Saturday and am really hoping to get a score that will make me competitive at the T-14's. Even if I were to get into t-14's, I would still seriously considering the other offers .

Also are your schollys straight merit (or do they have any stipulations/wording that you'll be going into PI)? If any were PI oriented schollys, I believe I've read/heard that some schools stroooongly encourage you to voluntarily repay the scholly if you change your mind and go the Big Law/non-PI route. Just something to consider

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:28 pm

JJC10 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:What kind of PI?


Most likely non-profits, policy stuff would be great too


You need to be more specific. There are certain areas of non-profit work where the T10 JD helps, there are certain areas where it is essential. Being a public defender is one thing, working for the Federal Defenders of San Diego or DC is another. Doing public interest immigration work is one thing, doing international human trafficking work is another.

I've found successful PI students go in with a very specific plan. They want union side labor law, or financial regulation, or education law and policy.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:54 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
JJC10 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:What kind of PI?


Most likely non-profits, policy stuff would be great too


You need to be more specific. There are certain areas of non-profit work where the T10 JD helps, there are certain areas where it is essential. Being a public defender is one thing, working for the Federal Defenders of San Diego or DC is another. Doing public interest immigration work is one thing, doing international human trafficking work is another.

I've found successful PI students go in with a very specific plan. They want union side labor law, or financial regulation, or education law and policy.

+1.

Frankly, if you don't have an extremely well-defined plan, you're likely to "sell out" and try for biglaw. I don't mean this in a pejorative sense; it sort of describes my own experience, in fact. It's simply the most common outcome for people who enter vaguely interested in public interest work, when they realize that a) biglaw isn't some big evil monolithic thing and b) public interest hiring is very diffuse, requires you to focus on getting a very particular type of experience, and is pretty stressful and uncertain. Keep in mind that if you don't already know what you want to do, you won't know before you have to interview for biglaw. Your 1L year is going to be entirely, or almost entirely, required courses that don't give any insight into particular areas of the law. If you don't know exactly what you mean by "policy work" now, there will be very little opportunity to figure it out in time.

So that in mind, you should go to the T10, where at least you'll have a decent shot at getting that first biglaw job. (Honestly, you probably should not go to law school, at least not until you know exactly what you want to do with a legal career, but this advice is rarely popular.)

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Best for PI: sticker at T10 or full ride at lower ranked?

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 pm

JJC10 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:You need more specifics. Do you want the ACLU or a local non-profit?

I'd honestly probably be happy with either


But which one do you want? Why do you want PI? We're trying to help you here and you aren't giving much to work with.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests