(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
remainsofthebay

Postby remainsofthebay » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:55 am

Last edited by remainsofthebay on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

secretagentman811

Re: UVA vs. Berkeley

Postby secretagentman811 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 am

Where do you want to do your public interest work? That would seem to be the deciding factor.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 am

secretagentman811 wrote:Where do you want to do your public interest work? That would seem to be the deciding factor.

remainsofthebay

Postby remainsofthebay » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:42 am

Last edited by remainsofthebay on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

secretagentman811

Postby secretagentman811 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:08 am

Berkeley... gives you far better options in CA and still has legs in DC if you decide to change your mind.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Go wherever you would be happiest. You are getting a free degree from a T14 school. If you want CA, I would say Berkeley, but if you hate the area or something I would go with UVA.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Berkeley. Would anyone in their right mind choose to live in Charlottesville, Virginia over the Bay Area? Probably not.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Berkeley. Would anyone in their right mind choose to live in Charlottesville, Virginia over the Bay Area? Probably not.

:roll:

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Berkeley. Would anyone in their right mind choose to live in Charlottesville, Virginia over the Bay Area? Probably not.

You seem pretty butthurt that you never got the chance to make that choice.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:28 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:

If only we could all be URMs like you then maybe some of us wouldn't be butthurt.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:

If only we could all be URMs like you then maybe some of us wouldn't be butthurt.

lol QFP

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:51 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:

lol QFP

That was absurd, one for racism, and two for thinking Greeks were URM's

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:56 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:

Banggggg

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm

That was absurd, one for racism, and two for thinking Greeks were URM's

Yes, recognizing that URMs get an application boost that non-URMs would love to have makes me RACIST. I guess by that standard, then, every non-URM on this site is also racist.

If you were any dumber you'd be a tree.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Berkeley has amazing resources for PI-interested students and a fantastic alumni network, particularly in CA. If you could pull this off financially, I think it would be the better choice given your interests. But a full ride at UVA is amazing and I understand that it's hard to beat. Hopefully you'll get a sizable offer from Berkeley that will narrow the gap. If you haven't already, I recommend sending in a scholarship interest letter via B's ASW. That's because a full-ride is hard to match. So I get the feeling they may hesitant to throw money at you without assurance that you really are interested in attending Berkeley, and that you would consider attending with a sizable scholly somewhat short of a full ride. And don't forget to check out Berkeley's LRAP: it might be a way to help you bridge the gap if they don't match completely.

Good luck with your decision and congrats on your options!

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:

It must be pretty rough being white. I can't believe you don't always get what you want. I sure am glad I never experienced any form of oppression for being a URM. I am glad Berkeley was able to stand above this hatred for non-URMs and accept you though. You are carving a path for those who have also suffered the wrath of the real world. You are a hero and inspiration to us all, especially URMs.
Last edited by Dmini7 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:32 pm

If you want to do PI work in California it makes absolutely no sense to go to UVA. The legal field is regional in general and with PI it's especially important that you get to work with the orgs that you are interested in during law school. UVA would borderline cripple you in that regard. Going there for free is obviously great. But I'm sure Boalt will give you a big award in response--and I believe they have a stronger LRAP which should make up the difference.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:46 pm

remainsofthebay wrote:Most likely California... it's where I live now and I love it here, but I like D.C. as well.

Sounds like an easy call for Boalt, then (assuming they come somewhat close to matching the scholarship, which is definitely no given).

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:

It must be pretty rough being white. I can't believe you don't always get what you want. I sure am glad I never experienced any form of oppression for being a URM. I am glad Berkeley was able to stand above this hatred for non-URMs and accept you though. You are carving a path for those who have also suffered the wrath of the real world. You are a hero and inspiration to us all, especially URMs.

Your sarcasm would be much more effective if you had enough insight to realize that "oppression" and general obstacles in life can arise from much more than just skin color, kid. Regardless of your background, rest assured that there are both white and non-white individuals who have suffered and dealt with obstacles that would make yours look ordinary, whatever they may be.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Ok let's kool it guys. Have fun at Berkeley.

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:09 pm

UVA is gorgeous, California is bankrupt. Some good reasons right there.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:

:lol:

This thread is taking a weird turn. Keep it on topic. Mods (rightfully) love to swing the banhammer when folks discuss merits of AA in the on-topics, just FYI.

remainsofthebay

Postby remainsofthebay » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Last edited by remainsofthebay on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Someone should point out that this obviously only matters if Berkeley matches, which they often do not, especially for a peer school. If you don't mind working on the East Coast, then I'd go to UVA unless Berkeley at least gets very close in $$$$.

That aside, if Berkeley does match, and you want to be in California, go to Berkeley. I should note though that if you already live in California and have some other ties there, you can certainly get back there from UVA.

remainsofthebay

Postby remainsofthebay » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Last edited by remainsofthebay on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”