Why is the Northwestern ED full ride option not more popular

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CreativityKing

Re: Why is the Northwestern ED full ride option not more popular

Postby CreativityKing » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:12 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I doubt that group is as small as you are making it out to be.

Not trying to be a jackass but the people who have parents who make that much money (WELL into the six figures) are probably getting financial assistance from their parents anyway.

I got into HYS. My parents make mid-5 figures. I didn't get any need-based aid. They certainly were not helping me pay. The threshold to get $0 of need aid is far lower than well into six figures.

So, I took the full ride at Northwestern. I was the last year before the ED option. That being said, I do not think I would've gone for the ED option. For me, it would've been tough to make that decision prior to seeing all the options (other acceptances and scholarships).

Anecdotal, but that may be a reason why the ED option is not as popular as might be expected.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:44 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:28 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Not trying to be a jackass but the people who have parents who make that much money (WELL into the six figures) are probably getting financial assistance from their parents anyway.

When I left Mormonism my family disowned me, so even though they make "WELL into the six figures," own all their houses/cars, and have no debt whatsoever, I am never going to receive any assistance from them on anything. (And I don't expect to either; it's just that schools / the government expect wealthy parents to support their children, which can really screw students like myself over.) I am sure that there are other people in similar situations in which something has caused such a rift to form between parent and child that wealthy parents refuse to support their children. :|

The default is an assumption that parents will support their children, however, schools will take such a situation into account if you explain it to them

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:58 pm

dingbat wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:When I left Mormonism my family disowned me, so even though they make "WELL into the six figures," own all their houses/cars, and have no debt whatsoever, I am never going to receive any assistance from them on anything. (And I don't expect to either; it's just that schools / the government expect wealthy parents to support their children, which can really screw students like myself over.) I am sure that there are other people in similar situations in which something has caused such a rift to form between parent and child that wealthy parents refuse to support their children. :|

The default is an assumption that parents will support their children, however, schools will take such a situation into account if you explain it to them

Unfortunately this isn't the type of situation that is taken into account. Usually exceptions are made for situations like abandonment at a young age, sex crimes against the child, etc. I went through the process and was granted an exception for one parent (more b/c of the inability to access paperwork than the amount of money). Schools will flat out tell you that they don't care whether your parents actually support you or not. A huge number of the people I know who don't qualify for finaid actually don't receive any support from their parents. If it was as easy as saying "my parents make a lot of money but won't support me" for whatever reason the system would really break down.

From HLS wrote:Harvard Law School does not assume that parents will actually provide any assistance toward the pursuit of their children's legal education. While we use parent resources as an integral part of the rationing mechanism for grant eligibility, we have no expectations of what any given parent/family will actually do.
Last edited by AllTheLawz on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:
fatduck wrote:nice try, northwestern admissions intern

Graduated UG [Northwestern University] last spring, working currently [at the admissions office], applying to schools in the fall. Check post history to verify. Good call though buddy.

Live and work in New York City. Went to school in upstate NY. Try again?

whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People on TLS only value debt because of the risk of not getting big law. They don't consider what it's like to get big law with crazy debt. So to the majority here, YHS is less risky than NU at sticker. But they aren't considering a ton of facts. Like what happens if you get no offered, or laid off after 2 years in big law. Or you really fucking hate big law. Or the stress of working 80 hours a week, only to pay most of your discretionary money to a DirectLoans.gov.

Fullride at a T13 >> YHS at sticker.

Except that YHS gives tons of need-based aid and you won't know what that is until after you're already locked into Northwestern's ED.

If you are in a situation where your parents make too much money for you to get any aid from YSH but your family isn't helping you pay for law school at all and you'll have sticker debt then I agree with you. But again, small group of people.

I doubt that group is as small as you are making it out to be.

H only gives schollies to half the students

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:30 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

How much does Harvard cut off at? And either way, unless they are giving a ton of assistance they'd still end up with a ton of debt. And it's not like NU would be free. Unless they are giving 80K or more, the parents would still be helping at NU.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People on TLS only value debt because of the risk of not getting big law. They don't consider what it's like to get big law with crazy debt. So to the majority here, YHS is less risky than NU at sticker. But they aren't considering a ton of facts. Like what happens if you get no offered, or laid off after 2 years in big law. Or you really fucking hate big law. Or the stress of working 80 hours a week, only to pay most of your discretionary money to a DirectLoans.gov.

Fullride at a T13 >> YHS at sticker.

Except that YHS gives tons of need-based aid and you won't know what that is until after you're already locked into Northwestern's ED.

If you are in a situation where your parents make too much money for you to get any aid from YSH but your family isn't helping you pay for law school at all and you'll have sticker debt then I agree with you. But again, small group of people.

I doubt that group is as small as you are making it out to be.

H only gives schollies to half the students

And how much to each one?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:And how much to each one?

if your parents make more than like $80k or so, you're not getting much if anything from H, barring unusual circumstances. and the max grant is around $32k-35k/year, so you're still coming out of it with six-figure debt.

your summer SA will also cut your grant substantially.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:19 pm

fatduck wrote:

if your parents make more than like $80k or so, you're not getting much if anything from H, barring unusual circumstances. and the max grant is around $32k-35k/year, so you're still coming out of it with six-figure debt.

Good to know.

NU with full ride over > YHS unless your parents are poor.

But I still don't know about NU's fullride ED. Seems like they'd probably give it to you anyway if you didn't ED.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Good to know.

But I still don't know about NU's fullride ED. Seems like they'd probably give it to you anyway if you didn't ED.

i'm pretty sure it's like GWU. if you've got the numbers, you'll get the $$ no matter what. if you don't have the numbers, they'll just accept you RD.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:But I still don't know about NU's fullride ED. Seems like they'd probably give it to you anyway if you didn't ED.

That's the thing. People with HYS numbers are typically looking at at least 120k if they don't apply ED. Makes a lot more sense for the people just above both medians at NU.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Good to know.

IDK. Someone with my stats got it and I got in at sticker - though it was off hold and rather late in the cycle.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:34 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Good to know.

IDK. Someone with my stats got it and I got in at sticker - though it was off hold and rather late in the cycle.

Yea I think TCR is to only do the NU ED thing when you really shouldn't get a full ride at NU or any of the other lower t14. And if you get lucky, you get lucky.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yea I think TCR is to only do the NU ED thing when you really shouldn't get a full ride at NU or any of the other lower t14. And if you get lucky, you get lucky.

then again you might want to ED to CCN in that situation instead.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:36 pm

fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea I think TCR is to only do the NU ED thing when you really shouldn't get a full ride at NU or any of the other lower t14. And if you get lucky, you get lucky.

Back in my day ccn Ed didn't give a boost that you could see in lsn.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:

might be true, i didn't apply to CCN so i have no clue.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:

yeah CCN ED doesn't seem to provide much if any boost still

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:50 pm

I think it does here more than the other two

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcthebigred1

Postby rcthebigred1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:24 pm

quote=["Humbert Humbert"]Any thoughts on why applying ED to Northwestern is not a more popular option, given the whole full ride thing? A t14 with solid biglaw stats w/ full tuition scholarship? Am I missing something?[/quote]

I'll be applying next cycle and have been wondering the exact same thing. As someone with a 3.67, 177, I should snag at least 2/3 of CCN, and may even get H given the lower apps. However, paying sticker, or close to sticker, at any of those (parents just over H threshold) vs a near full ride at NU is extremely unpalatable.

I probably won't wind up doing it given some other circumstances (SO related), but it is on the table.

rcthebigred1

Postby rcthebigred1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Not to thread hijack, but if anyone who has already made the decision between a full ride at low T-14 (NU in particular) v. T6 sticker has any further thoughts or insight, I would love to hear them. 200k debt is just terrifying.

Note:I realize I'm far from a lock at getting NU ED.

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:02 pm

What's it take to get a full ride from NW ED?

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:50 pm

rcthebigred1 wrote:Not to thread hijack, but if anyone who has already made the decision between a full ride at low T-14 (NU in particular) v. T6 sticker has any further thoughts or insight, I would love to hear them. 200k debt is just terrifying.

PM me with any questions.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 am

rcthebigred1 wrote:Not to thread hijack, but if anyone who has already made the decision between a full ride at low T-14 (NU in particular) v. T6 sticker has any further thoughts or insight, I would love to hear them. 200k debt is just terrifying.

With your numbers you'll see good money from CCN. Full ride at NW is preferable to CCN at sticker but I'm not convinced that's the decision you'll be making

Return to “Choosing a Law School”