Why is the Northwestern ED full ride option not more popular

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Humbert Humbert

Why is the Northwestern ED full ride option not more popular

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Any thoughts on why applying ED to Northwestern is not a more popular option, given the whole full ride thing? A t14 with solid biglaw stats w/ full tuition scholarship? Am I missing something?

Tiago Splitter

Re: Why is the Northwestern ED full ride option not more popular

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Any thoughts on why applying ED to Northwestern is not a more popular option, given the whole full ride thing? A t14 with solid biglaw stats w/ full tuition scholarship? Am I missing something?

Because a large portion of the people with the stats for it are likely to get big money from other T-14s and have a decent shot at HYS.

Postby 20141023 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onionz

Postby onionz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:Any thoughts on why applying ED to Northwestern is not a more popular option, given the whole full ride thing? A t14 with solid biglaw stats w/ full tuition scholarship? Am I missing something?

Because a large portion of the people with the stats for it are likely to get big money from other T-14s and have a decent shot at HYS.

+1

Because they would be bound to go to Northwestern with presumably stellar numbers...

It's also a fairly new program, so maybe the word isn't really out there yet.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Is this actually true, though? Another poster described the situation as a market inefficiency, and I tend to agree with that.

My 3.5x/172 had no shot at HYS and would have yielded no money at CCN.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Fitz51 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Is this actually true, though? Another poster described the situation as a market inefficiency, and I tend to agree with that.

Can you elaborate on this?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Fitz51 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

That was me who said that. I think they are actually targeting CCN people, not HYS.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:53 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Fitz51 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

That was me who said that. I think they are actually targeting CCN people, not HYS.

I don't know who they are targeting exactly, but I think the people who have most to gain from it are CCN sticker/decent ($60K?) MVPDCG money kids.

Those kids aren't getting a Darrow/Mordecai, etc, yet they are being offered a deal that would net them the same level scholarship at a peer. People assume that to get the ED you have to be HYS-eligible, or that you would be getting similar scholarships to peer schools, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Therein lies the inefficiency as you described it.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 pm

The only people I see getting the full ride without being above both medians are people who self-report some type of impressive or meaningful WE. For splitters it's still very difficult to snag and can be a waste of an ED when you don't know if you'll even get CCN sticker with RD.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 pm

This is really my question - if you are someone with solid, but not quite HYS-level stats (say, 3.8/168-170), then a full-ride to a t14 school with 50-60% chance at biglaw seems like a no-brainer. Is that just me?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:02 pm

nice try, northwestern admissions intern

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Crowing wrote:The only people I see getting the full ride without being above both medians are people who self-report some type of impressive or meaningful WE. For splitters it's still very difficult to snag and can be a waste of an ED when you don't know if you'll even get CCN sticker with RD.

If I remember correctly (I will confirm once LSN is back up) a good chunk getting it are not above both medians and split or reverse split, including myself.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:06 pm

fatduck wrote:nice try, northwestern admissions intern

Graduated UG last spring, working currently, applying to schools in the fall. Check post history to verify. Good call though buddy.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Fitz51 wrote:
Crowing wrote:The only people I see getting the full ride without being above both medians are people who self-report some type of impressive or meaningful WE. For splitters it's still very difficult to snag and can be a waste of an ED when you don't know if you'll even get CCN sticker with RD.

If I remember correctly (I will confirm once LSN is back up) a good chunk getting it are not above both medians and split or reverse split, including myself.

Yeah but they're people who at least claim to have really good WE. I researched this back in the fall when I was applying and concluded that with my numbers (3.4X/173) and lack of meaningful WE I had 0 shot at the full ride.

I agree that ED NU can be a good option for a certain subset of people, but that's also why it's not "popular."

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Crowing wrote:
Fitz51 wrote:

Yeah but they're people who at least claim to have really good WE. I researched this back in the fall when I was applying and concluded that with my numbers (3.4X/173) and lack of meaningful WE I had 0 shot at the full ride.

I agree that ED NU can be a good option for a certain subset of people, but that's also why it's not "popular."

Did you ED elsewhere?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:

Graduated UG [Northwestern University] last spring, working currently [at the admissions office], applying to schools in the fall. Check post history to verify. Good call though buddy.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 pm

fatduck wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:

Graduated UG [Northwestern University] last spring, working currently [at the admissions office], applying to schools in the fall. Check post history to verify. Good call though buddy.

Live and work in New York City. Went to school in upstate NY. Try again?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:

Live and work in New York City. Went to school in upstate NY. Try again?

it's 2013, people work remotely.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:This is really my question - if you are someone with solid, but not quite HYS-level stats (say, 3.8/168-170), then a full-ride to a t14 school with 50-60% chance at biglaw seems like a no-brainer. Is that just me?

Not much reason for them to give it to a 169 or below. If you are a 3.8/170 then yes it makes a lot of sense, but that's a fairly small group of people.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:07 pm

People on TLS only value debt because of the risk of not getting big law. They don't consider what it's like to get big law with crazy debt. So to the majority here, YHS is less risky than NU at sticker. But they aren't considering a ton of facts. Like what happens if you get no offered, or laid off after 2 years in big law. Or you really fucking hate big law. Or the stress of working 80 hours a week, only to pay most of your discretionary money to a DirectLoans.gov.

Fullride at a T13 >> YHS at sticker.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:People on TLS only value debt because of the risk of not getting big law. They don't consider what it's like to get big law with crazy debt. So to the majority here, YHS is less risky than NU at sticker. But they aren't considering a ton of facts. Like what happens if you get no offered, or laid off after 2 years in big law. Or you really fucking hate big law. Or the stress of working 80 hours a week, only to pay most of your discretionary money to a DirectLoans.gov.

Except that YHS gives tons of need-based aid and you won't know what that is until after you're already locked into Northwestern's ED.

If you are in a situation where your parents make too much money for you to get any aid from YSH but your family isn't helping you pay for law school at all and you'll have sticker debt then I agree with you. But again, small group of people.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People on TLS only value debt because of the risk of not getting big law. They don't consider what it's like to get big law with crazy debt. So to the majority here, YHS is less risky than NU at sticker. But they aren't considering a ton of facts. Like what happens if you get no offered, or laid off after 2 years in big law. Or you really fucking hate big law. Or the stress of working 80 hours a week, only to pay most of your discretionary money to a DirectLoans.gov.

Except that YHS gives tons of need-based aid and you won't know what that is until after you're already locked into Northwestern's ED.

If you are in a situation where your parents make too much money for you to get any aid from YSH but your family isn't helping you pay for law school at all and you'll have sticker debt then I agree with you. But again, small group of people.

I doubt that group is as small as you are making it out to be.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:I doubt that group is as small as you are making it out to be.

Not trying to be a jackass but the people who have parents who make that much money (WELL into the six figures) are probably getting financial assistance from their parents anyway.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:09 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:This is really my question - if you are someone with solid, but not quite HYS-level stats (say, 3.8/168-170), then a full-ride to a t14 school with 50-60% chance at biglaw seems like a no-brainer. Is that just me?

not quite HYS? that's not quite CCN

Return to “Choosing a Law School”