Just how business oriented is Northwestern's culture

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
megagnarley

Just how business oriented is Northwestern's culture

Postby megagnarley » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:09 pm

I love a good deal of things I've heard about the school and it certainly punches above its weight regarding employment, but in terms of overall atmosphere, I've had a hard time de-coding just how business oriented the feel of the school is.

I've heard it described as an "office-like environment" and "decidedly corporate" by some. To what extent does this hold weight and to what extent does this impact the collegial aspect of the school?

Beyond just an education, I am looking for community/solidarity, and am not sure to what extent NU offers that when pitted against peers such as Mich and Duke.

rinkrat19

Re: Just how business oriented is Northwestern's culture

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:19 pm

megagnarley wrote:I love a good deal of things I've heard about the school and it certainly punches above its weight regarding employment, but in terms of overall atmosphere, I've had a hard time de-coding just how business oriented the feel of the school is.

I've heard it described as an "office-like environment" and "decidedly corporate" by some. To what extent does this hold weight and to what extent does this impact the collegial aspect of the school?

Beyond just an education, I am looking for community/solidarity, and am not sure to what extent NU offers that when pitted against peers such as Mich and Duke.

Whoever said that is on crack. Honestly, I have no idea where it comes from.

Maybe there's an office-like environment among the JD-MBAs or in the business-focused classes like biz admin, but aside from that it's entirely unnoticeable. I know plenty of people who want to do public interest, or just less business-y focused firm practice areas.

The community is collegial and collaborative and plays hard.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:29 pm

People being older and experienced tends to make people less cutthroat. The business oriented culture is really just that people are here to get a job, not just to continue school. But there are definitely some public interest people, and the LRAP is good for it.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Valid on both accounts.

I'm not sure, then, whey this tenet gets so overhyped.

Perhaps it's coming from the select few who were off to law school for errant motives, i.e. continuing their undergrad experience.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:39 pm

megagnarley wrote:Valid on both accounts.

Perhaps it's coming from the select few who were off to law school for errant motives, i.e. continuing their undergrad experience.

I think more than a few NW students want to relive college. They realize how much real life sucks, so when they get back to school, they cherish it.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Valid on both accounts.

I think more than a few NW students want to relive college. They realize how much real life sucks, so when they get back to school, they cherish it.

Affirmative. Favorable omen.

The more I learn about Northwestern the more I like it. The business school feel was my biggest concern and if that's a non-issue it looks like I'll have to slate a visit.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”