W&M and BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
drinion

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 am

cinephile wrote:
drinion wrote:
cinephile wrote:This is crazy. You want to work in NJ, so go to the local state school for free? I don't get why you're considering anything else.

I'm considering other options because I would like to keep my options open, at least through law school. I'm a little uncomfortable throwing in the towel before the match even starts.

If you're considering W&M or BC, then you've already thrown the towel in.

I guess that's the conclusion of the thread. I'm not sure it's true, but maybe it is. Isn't W&M's clerkship rate worth something?

I'm still waiting to hear from better schools, but I'm also trying to determine what my current options are. Going to Rutgers or Seton Hall is definitely an alternative route for someone in my situation. I've been deferred by some T14 schools, and I'm still waiting to hear from others that have sent out acceptances, wait lists, and rejections.

There are threads on here that mock full rides to Camden. I'm surprised it wins out over W&M and BC.

drinion

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:29 am

ImNoScar wrote:Did you already try negotiating with Newark?

Nope. I haven't really considered either Rutgers program as a viable possibility, but maybe I should.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:31 am

drinion wrote:

Nope. I haven't really considered either Rutgers as a viable possibility, but maybe I should.

It's the right price and you want to stay in jersey. I'd definitely take it over BC or WM.

drinion

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:36 am

ImNoScar wrote:
drinion wrote:

Nope. I haven't really considered either Rutgers as a viable possibility, but maybe I should.

It's the right price and you want to stay in jersey. I'd definitely take it over BC or WM.

Why don't you think BC's employment rate makes it superior to either Rutgers program? The Rutgers programs don't seem a little risky to you? I'd definitely prefer loans to spending three years in Camden or Newark, only to be unemployed afterwards.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:42 am

If you want to work in NJ, you are more likely to get a job in NJ from Rutgers than from BC, even if BC's program is stronger overall.

drinion

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:50 am

empyreanrrv wrote:If you want to work in NJ, you are more likely to get a job in NJ from Rutgers than from BC, even if BC's program is stronger overall.

I don't know if there are statistics that would actually support that, but let's assume it's true. What if I added NYC to my target practicing area? Right now, I would be very happy to leave NYC, but maybe I'd be willing to come back. This is really what I meant when I said that I'm not comfortable with limiting myself at this point in the process. I have some idea of what I want to do after I graduate, but that may very well change. W&M and BC seem to provide the flexibility and the potential that the Rutgers programs do not.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 am

drinion wrote:
empyreanrrv wrote:If you want to work in NJ, you are more likely to get a job in NJ from Rutgers than from BC, even if BC's program is stronger overall.

I don't know if there are statistics that would actually support that, but let's assume it's true. What if I added NYC to my target practicing area? Right now, I would be very happy to leave NYC, but maybe I'd be willing to come back. This is really what I meant when I said that I'm not comfortable with limiting myself at this point in the process. I have some idea of what I want to do after I graduate, but that may very well change. W&M and BC seem to provide the flexibility and the potential that the Rutgers programs do not.

The unfortunate thing is that the risk of unemployment from both schools is high enough that the marginal benefit of BC is not worth an extra 80k or whatever it would work out to be.

drinion

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:00 am

ImNoScar wrote:
drinion wrote:

The unfortunate thing is that the risk of unemployment from both schools is high enough that the marginal benefit of BC is not worth an extra 80k or whatever it would work out to be.

Another point worth considering.

Man, I need to get to bed. This forum becomes engrossing far too quickly.

Thank you, and everyone else, for the feedback. Any other thoughts are definitely welcome.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:01 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

Here is the data on employment placement by location. Less than 2% of BC graduates last year went back to NJ, but you could argue that is due to self-selection. I'm not sure how to argue the relative strength of a BC degree in NJ, only to say that most people who go to BC do not end up back in NJ.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”