W&M and BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 pm

W&M's price, graduate fellowship program and federal clerkship rate are appealing, but so is BC's overall employment rate. Right now I'm still partial to W&M. I have a feeling most people here are going to favor BC, so let's hear it.

skri65
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby skri65 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm

drinion wrote:W&M's price, graduate fellowship program and federal clerkship rate are appealing, but so is BC's overall employment rate. Right now I'm still partial to W&M. I have a feeling most people here are going to favor BC, so let's hear it.


Really depends on where you want to work..

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm

skri65 wrote:
drinion wrote:W&M's price, graduate fellowship program and federal clerkship rate are appealing, but so is BC's overall employment rate. Right now I'm still partial to W&M. I have a feeling most people here are going to favor BC, so let's hear it.


Really depends on where you want to work..


New Jersey, and probably government related.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Overall debt? I would recommend Rutgers with big schlarship for NJ rather than either of these schools. Neither of them are worth it unless they are very cheap.

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:Overall debt? I would recommend Rutgers with big schlarship for NJ rather than either of these schools. Neither of them are worth it unless they are very cheap.


I don't currently have any debt, but I would be taking some on to pay for tuition and living expenses.

I've thought of doing what you suggest, but I'm not sure it's a good idea, given Rutgers-Camden's employment rate. I did put in for an application fee waiver from Seton Hall, which I got. I'm probably going to apply this weekend, and I'm hoping I'll get a full ride, but TLS's Seton Hall write-up scared me into almost entirely abandoning the idea.

And W&M would be cheap, I guess. Not very cheap, but probably cheap.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:37 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:43 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
drinion wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:Overall debt? I would recommend Rutgers with big schlarship for NJ rather than either of these schools. Neither of them are worth it unless they are very cheap.


I don't currently have any debt, but I would be taking some on to pay for tuition and living expenses.

I've thought of doing what you suggest, but I'm not sure it's a good idea, given Rutgers-Camden's employment rate. I did put in for an application fee waiver from Seton Hall, which I got. I'm probably going to apply this weekend, and I'm hoping I'll get a full ride, but TLS's Seton Hall write-up scared me into almost entirely abandoning the idea.

And W&M would be cheap, I guess. Not very cheap, but probably cheap.


How much scholarship are you getting exactly? It may not be worth it to go at all unless it's a very big chunk (at least more than 3/4 guaranteed).


Not sure which school you're referring to. My profile has all my application decisions so far this cycle, along with the scholarships I've been offered, assuming I can maintain them for all three years, which I am pretty confident I will be able to do.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:04 am

ajax adonis wrote:Those numbers mean nothing to me. I need fractions. What percentage of your tuition + COL + other expenses is going to be paid for? From what I see, it looks like about half. Not worth it. Do not go to any of those schools. My message is simple.


I understand that you hate paying whatever loans you have, but taking it out on other people isn't going to help you pay them off any quicker. I suggest working some overtime or something.

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: W&M and BC

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:09 am

drinion wrote:W&M's price, graduate fellowship program and federal clerkship rate are appealing, but so is BC's overall employment rate. Right now I'm still partial to W&M. I have a feeling most people here are going to favor BC, so let's hear it.


We are almost numbers twins (166, 3.66 here) :D

I guess you should just wait and see how much scholly you get from BC..

I personally prefer BC over W&M because of BC's really strong employment stats, but that's just me.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:15 am

drinion wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Those numbers mean nothing to me. I need fractions. What percentage of your tuition + COL + other expenses is going to be paid for? From what I see, it looks like about half. Not worth it. Do not go to any of those schools. My message is simple.


I understand that you hate paying whatever loans you have, but taking it out on other people isn't going to help you pay them off any quicker. I suggest working some overtime or something.

His point is that these schools won't even get you a job/ allow you to pay off debt.
Rutgers Camden, but the real answer is retake.

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
drinion wrote:W&M's price, graduate fellowship program and federal clerkship rate are appealing, but so is BC's overall employment rate. Right now I'm still partial to W&M. I have a feeling most people here are going to favor BC, so let's hear it.


We are almost numbers twins (166, 3.66 here) :D

I guess you should just wait and see how much scholly you get from BC..

I personally prefer BC over W&M because of BC's really strong employment stats, but that's just me.


Yeah, I'm curious what BC will offer. If I didn't think that I could do very well at W&M, then I'd definitely find BC's overall employment rate very appealing. I'm going to have to visit, that's for sure.

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 am

ImNoScar wrote:
drinion wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Those numbers mean nothing to me. I need fractions. What percentage of your tuition + COL + other expenses is going to be paid for? From what I see, it looks like about half. Not worth it. Do not go to any of those schools. My message is simple.


I understand that you hate paying whatever loans you have, but taking it out on other people isn't going to help you pay them off any quicker. I suggest working some overtime or something.

His point is that these schools won't even get you a job/ allow you to pay off debt.
Rutgers Camden, but the real answer is retake.


He basically spammed every recent thread about sub-T14 schools with the same message, so I threw it back in his face.

I understand the retake suggestion. It's just that I'm over 25, and I'm simply not going to wait another year. I took the June LSAT, and I could have retaken. As it was, I took tons of time off from work to prepare, and I wasn't going to be able to do that all over again. My cycle's not over, so maybe I'll break the T14 or get off Vandy's wait list.

Do you really think Rutgers-Camden would be a decent idea? What do you think of Seton Hall? Chris Christie (NJ's Governor) went there. It seems to have a better reputation within NJ government circles. Either of them over W&M or BC?

I'm ok with taking out some loans. I really do believe that the only career for me is working as an attorney, and I'm not deluded enough to think it's going to make me fabulously wealthy. I'm ok with that, too.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:36 am

drinion wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
drinion wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Those numbers mean nothing to me. I need fractions. What percentage of your tuition + COL + other expenses is going to be paid for? From what I see, it looks like about half. Not worth it. Do not go to any of those schools. My message is simple.


I understand that you hate paying whatever loans you have, but taking it out on other people isn't going to help you pay them off any quicker. I suggest working some overtime or something.

His point is that these schools won't even get you a job/ allow you to pay off debt.
Rutgers Camden, but the real answer is retake.


He basically spammed every recent thread about sub-T14 schools with the same message, so I threw it back in his face.

I understand the retake suggestion. It's just that I'm over 25, and I'm simply not going to wait another year. I took the June LSAT, and I could have retaken. As it was, I took tons of time off from work to prepare, and I wasn't going to be able to do that all over again. My cycle's not over, so maybe I'll break the T14 or get off Vandy's wait list.

Do you really think Rutgers-Camden would be a decent idea? What do you think of Seton Hall? Chris Christie (NJ's Governor) went there. It seems to have a better reputation within NJ government circles. Either of them over W&M or BC?

I'm ok with taking out some loans. I really do believe that the only career for me is working as an attorney, and I'm not deluded enough to think it's going to make me fabulously wealthy. I'm ok with that, too.


Why not Rutgers-Newark?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby Danteshek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 am

It's just that I'm over 25


:lol:

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:43 am

timbs4339 wrote:Why not Rutgers-Newark?


They didn't offer me a full tuition scholly, like Camden did. I'm considering Seton Hall because LSN seems to indicate that I should get a full tuition scholly from them. I've also been told that Seton Hall feeds more people into NJ government positions than either Rutgers program.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:43 am

This is crazy. You want to work in NJ, so go to the local state school for free? I don't get why you're considering anything else.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:46 am

Rutgers Newark is the better option of the two Rutgers but the money to Camden is very tempting. Did you attempt to get Newark to match?
Also, Seton Hall tends to attach tough stipulations to their scholarships. Not only that, the have been accused of putting all $$$ recipients in the same section, guaranteeing that half will lose the money.
I personally was considering schools like these when I applied. I retook. I still wasn't satisfied and I retook again. Now I am at a T14 with a half ride. I'm very happy to be here versus at a place like SH. It's worth thinking about.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:49 am

drinion wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Why not Rutgers-Newark?


They didn't offer me a full tuition scholly, like Camden did. I'm considering Seton Hall because LSN seems to indicate that I should get a full tuition scholly from them. I've also been told that Seton Hall feeds more people into NJ government positions than either Rutgers program.


I'd apply to them, and see if you can negotiate a full scholly with RN.

Oh, and according to LST R-N doubles SH's government placement and they're about the same with these state clerkships that apparently are a prereq to jobs in Jersey.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 am

cinephile wrote:This is crazy. You want to work in NJ, so go to the local state school for free? I don't get why you're considering anything else.


I'm considering other options because I would like to keep my options open, at least through law school. I'm a little uncomfortable throwing in the towel before the match even starts.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby Danteshek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 am

I thought Seton Hall was cutting tuition to be more competitive with Rutgers

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20130102/N ... source=RSS

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:59 am

timbs4339 wrote:they're about the same with these state clerkships that apparently are a prereq to jobs in Jersey.


Where did you hear that? I'm not questioning it. I just wanna see what else the source has to say.

And thanks for those other links. I hadn't delved quite that deeply into the numbers before.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:16 am

drinion wrote:
cinephile wrote:This is crazy. You want to work in NJ, so go to the local state school for free? I don't get why you're considering anything else.


I'm considering other options because I would like to keep my options open, at least through law school. I'm a little uncomfortable throwing in the towel before the match even starts.



If you're considering W&M or BC, then you've already thrown the towel in.

User avatar
drinion
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby drinion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:19 am

ImNoScar wrote:Rutgers Newark is the better option of the two Rutgers but the money to Camden is very tempting. Did you attempt to get Newark to match?
Also, Seton Hall tends to attach tough stipulations to their scholarships. Not only that, the have been accused of putting all $$$ recipients in the same section, guaranteeing that half will lose the money.
I personally was considering schools like these when I applied. I retook. I still wasn't satisfied and I retook again. Now I am at a T14 with a half ride. I'm very happy to be here versus at a place like SH. It's worth thinking about.


I really wish that retaking seemed like a possibility to me, but it just doesn't.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: W&M and BC

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:20 am

drinion wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Rutgers Newark is the better option of the two Rutgers but the money to Camden is very tempting. Did you attempt to get Newark to match?
Also, Seton Hall tends to attach tough stipulations to their scholarships. Not only that, the have been accused of putting all $$$ recipients in the same section, guaranteeing that half will lose the money.
I personally was considering schools like these when I applied. I retook. I still wasn't satisfied and I retook again. Now I am at a T14 with a half ride. I'm very happy to be here versus at a place like SH. It's worth thinking about.


I really wish that retaking seemed like a possibility to me, but it just doesn't.

Did you already try negotiating with Newark?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests