Getting serious about W&L

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck
Posts: 10843
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Kel Varnsen wrote:The top 14 or bust crowd is pretty stupid. You can definitely get a really good job going to W&L I know people first hand who have. Some of that crowd act like 1) big law is the only law, and 2) when a percentage that goes into a certain field is under 50 it means that the percentage is actually 0.

I've avoided these boards because I know how wrong the general consensus is, and the echo chamber just makes it even worse. Law applications are at a 30-year low. This actually isn't a bad time to be going at all. And in the end if it's something you really want to do it's your life. Making career choices based only through the lens of what is most likely to bring me the most money is setting yourself up for a life of sadness.


Poor flame, would not read again.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Kel Varnsen wrote:You can definitely get a really good job going to W&L


No one disputes this...

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby StylinNProfilin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Kel Varnsen wrote:The top 14 or bust crowd is pretty stupid. You can definitely get a really good job going to W&L I know people first hand who have. Some of that crowd act like 1) big law is the only law, and 2) when a percentage that goes into a certain field is under 50 it means that the percentage is actually 0.

I've avoided these boards because I know how wrong the general consensus is, and the echo chamber just makes it even worse. Law applications are at a 30-year low. This actually isn't a bad time to be going at all. And in the end if it's something you really want to do it's your life. Making career choices based only through the lens of what is most likely to bring me the most money is setting yourself up for a life of sadness.


I dont think people are saying that, W&L with a significant scholarship isnt a bad option. But when ur looking at sticker at W&L you have to get big law to pay that off or ur screwed the rest of your life. Thats too much of a gamble imo when they place 10% in biglaw.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby kwais » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Kel Varnsen wrote:The top 14 or bust crowd is pretty stupid. You can definitely get a really good job going to W&L I know people first hand who have. Some of that crowd act like 1) big law is the only law, and 2) when a percentage that goes into a certain field is under 50 it means that the percentage is actually 0.

I've avoided these boards because I know how wrong the general consensus is, and the echo chamber just makes it even worse. Law applications are at a 30-year low. This actually isn't a bad time to be going at all. And in the end if it's something you really want to do it's your life. Making career choices based only through the lens of what is most likely to bring me the most money is setting yourself up for a life of sadness.


Irresponsible advice. The fact that applications are low, while maybe a good sign for an individual's admissions chances, is not an indicator that it is a good time to go to law school. They are low because people realize that the job market is tough for everyone, including T14 but especially at lower schools. I agree with what you say about pursuing things for more than the money, but c'mon, this dude came on here and asked "tell me about W&L NYC biglaw and dc biglaw and clerkship placement." Don't tell me that OP is searching for happiness and that the jaded TLS crowd is just out for the money. Take your straw men elsewhere.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Thanks for everyone who replied, I appriciate it and I do take everything to heart. At this point, as Iv said before, I am not going to retake. I layed out everything why and it's okay if people think otherwise. The bottom line is that I am not going to wait until next dec to take an exam I am really not sure i can tackle. It may change it the next few months, although I pretty sure it won't. I will make final decisions when the cycle is over and I can look at all my options.

But, again this is not the subject of the thread. However I did get some thoughts about what I actually asked for and thank you for that as well.


OP, you should recognize that the LSAT is a much easier test then the four/five 1L tests that you will take within a period of two weeks at the most at the end of Fall and Spring semester. Your life will be much easier in the next year, whatever you do for employment, if you take an LSAT class and work on that test, and then when you enter law school a lot of the pressure of these exams will be reduced.

Also, responding to the comments above, from W&L you have a 50% chance of any legal job, and you need to keep that in mind at all times.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Thanks for everyone who replied, I appriciate it and I do take everything to heart. At this point, as Iv said before, I am not going to retake. I layed out everything why and it's okay if people think otherwise. The bottom line is that I am not going to wait until next dec to take an exam I am really not sure i can tackle. It may change it the next few months, although I pretty sure it won't. I will make final decisions when the cycle is over and I can look at all my options.

But, again this is not the subject of the thread. However I did get some thoughts about what I actually asked for and thank you for that as well.


OP, you should recognize that the LSAT is a much easier test then the four/five 1L tests that you will take within a period of two weeks at the most at the end of Fall and Spring semester. Your life will be much easier in the next year, whatever you do for employment, if you take an LSAT class and work on that test, and then when you enter law school a lot of the pressure of these exams will be reduced.

Also, responding to the comments above, from W&L you have a 50% chance of any legal job, and you need to keep that in mind at all times.


Thanks. I do keep it in mind at all times, that's why I haven't made any final decisions yet

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Jay, what have you done previously to prepare for the LSAT? If you've taken it 3 times and prepared extensively, do you think you can still raise your score significantly? Everyone CAN retake, but it's not always in their best interest to do so. I ended up taking the LSAT 3 times, and I am not sure the two points I eventually raised my score by are making a difference in my cycle.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15012
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby suralin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Kel Varnsen wrote:The top 14 or bust crowd is pretty stupid. You can definitely get a really good job going to W&L I know people first hand who have. Some of that crowd act like 1) big law is the only law, and 2) when a percentage that goes into a certain field is under 50 it means that the percentage is actually 0.

I've avoided these boards because I know how wrong the general consensus is, and the echo chamber just makes it even worse. Law applications are at a 30-year low. This actually isn't a bad time to be going at all. And in the end if it's something you really want to do it's your life. Making career choices based only through the lens of what is most likely to bring me the most money is setting yourself up for a life of sadness.


LOL you're an idiot. HTH.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 pm

I wouldn't be shocked at all if there were a few more surprises waiting for you this cycle, JayJones78. Hang in there. I'm having a hard time even THINKING about making a choice right now... there are just so many factors to consider for a decision of this magnitude. It's stressful!

Kel Varnsen
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby Kel Varnsen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Suralin wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:The top 14 or bust crowd is pretty stupid. You can definitely get a really good job going to W&L I know people first hand who have. Some of that crowd act like 1) big law is the only law, and 2) when a percentage that goes into a certain field is under 50 it means that the percentage is actually 0.

I've avoided these boards because I know how wrong the general consensus is, and the echo chamber just makes it even worse. Law applications are at a 30-year low. This actually isn't a bad time to be going at all. And in the end if it's something you really want to do it's your life. Making career choices based only through the lens of what is most likely to bring me the most money is setting yourself up for a life of sadness.


LOL you're an idiot. HTH.


Right back at you bitch. (that's a female dog in your avatar, right?)

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15012
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby suralin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Kel Varnsen wrote:
Suralin wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:The top 14 or bust crowd is pretty stupid. You can definitely get a really good job going to W&L I know people first hand who have. Some of that crowd act like 1) big law is the only law, and 2) when a percentage that goes into a certain field is under 50 it means that the percentage is actually 0.

I've avoided these boards because I know how wrong the general consensus is, and the echo chamber just makes it even worse. Law applications are at a 30-year low. This actually isn't a bad time to be going at all. And in the end if it's something you really want to do it's your life. Making career choices based only through the lens of what is most likely to bring me the most money is setting yourself up for a life of sadness.


LOL you're an idiot. HTH.


Right back at you bitch. (that's a female dog in your avatar, right?)


:?: :lol:

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Suralin wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:
Suralin wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:The top 14 or bust crowd is pretty stupid. You can definitely get a really good job going to W&L I know people first hand who have. Some of that crowd act like 1) big law is the only law, and 2) when a percentage that goes into a certain field is under 50 it means that the percentage is actually 0.

I've avoided these boards because I know how wrong the general consensus is, and the echo chamber just makes it even worse. Law applications are at a 30-year low. This actually isn't a bad time to be going at all. And in the end if it's something you really want to do it's your life. Making career choices based only through the lens of what is most likely to bring me the most money is setting yourself up for a life of sadness.


LOL you're an idiot. HTH.


Right back at you bitch. (that's a female dog in your avatar, right?)


:?: :lol:


...aaand this thread has been officially derailed.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests