Getting serious about W&L

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 pm

So today my slim dream of NU AJD got broken into small purple pieces (although very much predicted, still stings).

But, that's life. Gotta move on.

Although lots of my apps are still pending (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OutWest81) my acceptence to W&L seems like it'll be my highest ranked schools I'll get into. I think I still may have a chance with Wash U, although pretty slim. But, I must say that I think W&L could be a very good fit for me and the idea of me going there grows on me everyday

That said I'd like to hear thoughts about W&L and it's employment and clerkship oppertunities. I keep reading they place a good amount to pretty good clerkship positions. But, how established is the W&L name outside VA? do people in NYC biglaw know it? (I assume yes) and is there a possibility to get DC biglaw? The possibility of working in VA (in Richmond for example) doesn't scare me as I like the south east. I'd be good with a NC job as well. My only concern is if those outside the law school admissions circle know enough about W&L?

Lastly: I was wondering if people know more about the alumni connections and help of the school. I read in a few places that the alumni network is really strong due to the small class and being in such a remote location.

Thanks for any thought or advice!

P.S: I can't retake and as of now not going to sit this cycle out. Also, due to my numbers I am not taking scholarship into much account and assume I'll be offered sticker or close to sticker wherever I end up going, so COA is not part of my decision but COL defitely is, and that's another plus to W&L.
Last edited by JayJones78 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 pm

JayJones78 wrote:So today my slim dream of NU AJD got broken into small purple pieces (although very much predicted, still stings).

But, that's life. Gotta move on.

Although lots of my apps are still pending (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OutWest81) my acceptence to W&L seems like it'll be my highest ranked schools I'll get into. I think I still may have a chance with Wash U, although pretty slim.

That said I'd like to hear thoughts about W&L and it's employment and clerkship oppertunities. I keep reading they place a good amount to pretty good clerkship position. But, how established is the W&L name outside VA? do people in NYC biglaw know it? (I assume yes) and is there a possibility to get DC biglaw? The possibility of working in VA (in Richmond for example) doesn't scare me as I like the south east. I'd be good with a NC job as well. My only concern is if those outside the law school admissions circle know enough about W&L?

Lastly: I was wondering if people know more about the alumni connections and help of the school. I read in a few places that the alumni network is really strong due to the small class and being such a remote location.

Thanks for any thought or advice!

P.S: I can't retake and as of now not going to sit this cycle out.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

You've got about a 20% shot at a clerkship or biglaw and a 45% shot at winding up without a legal job. Don't go without a significant scholly.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:55 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:So today my slim dream of NU AJD got broken into small purple pieces (although very much predicted, still stings).

But, that's life. Gotta move on.

Although lots of my apps are still pending (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OutWest81) my acceptence to W&L seems like it'll be my highest ranked schools I'll get into. I think I still may have a chance with Wash U, although pretty slim.

That said I'd like to hear thoughts about W&L and it's employment and clerkship oppertunities. I keep reading they place a good amount to pretty good clerkship position. But, how established is the W&L name outside VA? do people in NYC biglaw know it? (I assume yes) and is there a possibility to get DC biglaw? The possibility of working in VA (in Richmond for example) doesn't scare me as I like the south east. I'd be good with a NC job as well. My only concern is if those outside the law school admissions circle know enough about W&L?

Lastly: I was wondering if people know more about the alumni connections and help of the school. I read in a few places that the alumni network is really strong due to the small class and being such a remote location.

Thanks for any thought or advice!

P.S: I can't retake and as of now not going to sit this cycle out.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

You've got about a 20% shot at a clerkship or biglaw. Don't go without a significant scholly.


Thanks. I'v read all that plus everything LST has to offer. What I'm looking for are thoughts and opinions of actual people as I'v read and studied a lot about the school from outside sources

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:So today my slim dream of NU AJD got broken into small purple pieces (although very much predicted, still stings).

But, that's life. Gotta move on.

Although lots of my apps are still pending (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OutWest81) my acceptence to W&L seems like it'll be my highest ranked schools I'll get into. I think I still may have a chance with Wash U, although pretty slim.

That said I'd like to hear thoughts about W&L and it's employment and clerkship oppertunities. I keep reading they place a good amount to pretty good clerkship position. But, how established is the W&L name outside VA? do people in NYC biglaw know it? (I assume yes) and is there a possibility to get DC biglaw? The possibility of working in VA (in Richmond for example) doesn't scare me as I like the south east. I'd be good with a NC job as well. My only concern is if those outside the law school admissions circle know enough about W&L?

Lastly: I was wondering if people know more about the alumni connections and help of the school. I read in a few places that the alumni network is really strong due to the small class and being such a remote location.

Thanks for any thought or advice!

P.S: I can't retake and as of now not going to sit this cycle out.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

You've got about a 20% shot at a clerkship or biglaw. Don't go without a significant scholly.


Thanks. I'v read all that plus everything LST has to offer. What I'm looking for are thoughts and opinions of actual people as I'v read and studied a lot about the school from outside sources


What's the point of that? The alumni network is obviously not strong enough to get 45% of their students lawyer jobs. They place a good amount in clerkships relative to other schools of that range but not enough to count on. Their biglaw placement is atrocious. 1/3 of the class stays in VA and 6% go to NY.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:So today my slim dream of NU AJD got broken into small purple pieces (although very much predicted, still stings).

But, that's life. Gotta move on.

Although lots of my apps are still pending (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OutWest81) my acceptence to W&L seems like it'll be my highest ranked schools I'll get into. I think I still may have a chance with Wash U, although pretty slim.

That said I'd like to hear thoughts about W&L and it's employment and clerkship oppertunities. I keep reading they place a good amount to pretty good clerkship position. But, how established is the W&L name outside VA? do people in NYC biglaw know it? (I assume yes) and is there a possibility to get DC biglaw? The possibility of working in VA (in Richmond for example) doesn't scare me as I like the south east. I'd be good with a NC job as well. My only concern is if those outside the law school admissions circle know enough about W&L?

Lastly: I was wondering if people know more about the alumni connections and help of the school. I read in a few places that the alumni network is really strong due to the small class and being such a remote location.

Thanks for any thought or advice!

P.S: I can't retake and as of now not going to sit this cycle out.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

You've got about a 20% shot at a clerkship or biglaw. Don't go without a significant scholly.


Thanks. I'v read all that plus everything LST has to offer. What I'm looking for are thoughts and opinions of actual people as I'v read and studied a lot about the school from outside sources


What's the point of that? The alumni network is obviously not strong enough to get 45% of their students lawyer jobs. They place a good amount in clerkships relative to other schools of that range but not enough to count on. Their biglaw placement is atrocious. 1/3 of the class stays in VA and 6% go to NY.


The point of what? Reading what people have to say?
As I said I'm okay with staying in VA but what I'm wondering most is how much wight does W&L carries outside of VA just like I'm wondering the same about Wash U outside the Midwest

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby rabbitrun » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:08 pm

You might have a decent shot at WUSTL because of the URM bump? I know this isn't helpful now, but why didn't you apply to Emory? Hopefully W&L will throw some money at you so if you do end up there, it will reduce risk. Good luck!

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 pm

rabbitrun wrote:You might have a decent shot at WUSTL because of the URM bump? I know this isn't helpful now, but why didn't you apply to Emory? Hopefully W&L will throw some money at you so if you do end up there, it will reduce risk. Good luck!


No real interest in Emory as I don't want to live/work/go to school in ATL.

I'm really hoping for a WUSTL acceptance but I think it's slim.

For some reason on other I'm really drawn to W&L and I think it's a good fit for me, that's why I want to do a more complete research on it.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:So today my slim dream of NU AJD got broken into small purple pieces (although very much predicted, still stings).

But, that's life. Gotta move on.

Although lots of my apps are still pending (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OutWest81) my acceptence to W&L seems like it'll be my highest ranked schools I'll get into. I think I still may have a chance with Wash U, although pretty slim.

That said I'd like to hear thoughts about W&L and it's employment and clerkship oppertunities. I keep reading they place a good amount to pretty good clerkship position. But, how established is the W&L name outside VA? do people in NYC biglaw know it? (I assume yes) and is there a possibility to get DC biglaw? The possibility of working in VA (in Richmond for example) doesn't scare me as I like the south east. I'd be good with a NC job as well. My only concern is if those outside the law school admissions circle know enough about W&L?

Lastly: I was wondering if people know more about the alumni connections and help of the school. I read in a few places that the alumni network is really strong due to the small class and being such a remote location.

Thanks for any thought or advice!

P.S: I can't retake and as of now not going to sit this cycle out.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

You've got about a 20% shot at a clerkship or biglaw. Don't go without a significant scholly.


Thanks. I'v read all that plus everything LST has to offer. What I'm looking for are thoughts and opinions of actual people as I'v read and studied a lot about the school from outside sources


With data that indisputably terrible, what's the point of looking for anecdotes?

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:So today my slim dream of NU AJD got broken into small purple pieces (although very much predicted, still stings).

But, that's life. Gotta move on.

Although lots of my apps are still pending (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OutWest81) my acceptence to W&L seems like it'll be my highest ranked schools I'll get into. I think I still may have a chance with Wash U, although pretty slim.

That said I'd like to hear thoughts about W&L and it's employment and clerkship oppertunities. I keep reading they place a good amount to pretty good clerkship position. But, how established is the W&L name outside VA? do people in NYC biglaw know it? (I assume yes) and is there a possibility to get DC biglaw? The possibility of working in VA (in Richmond for example) doesn't scare me as I like the south east. I'd be good with a NC job as well. My only concern is if those outside the law school admissions circle know enough about W&L?

Lastly: I was wondering if people know more about the alumni connections and help of the school. I read in a few places that the alumni network is really strong due to the small class and being such a remote location.

Thanks for any thought or advice!

P.S: I can't retake and as of now not going to sit this cycle out.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

You've got about a 20% shot at a clerkship or biglaw. Don't go without a significant scholly.


Thanks. I'v read all that plus everything LST has to offer. What I'm looking for are thoughts and opinions of actual people as I'v read and studied a lot about the school from outside sources


With data that indisputably terrible, what's the point of looking for anecdotes?


Because Yale is not a possibility for everyone(but congratulations on that acceptance).

With that said not everyone will get into their top choice and getting a feel and understanding for your options on a level more intimate than just a % formed by LST would be valuable for a decision an individual may end up making.

I forgot to include that I agree you should to go to W&L with the intention of getting into big law. It's chances are not high enough to where you should think gunning for big law at W&L is an option. If after your first year you are top 10% or whatever, then think about it.
Last edited by Dmini7 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby stillwater » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 pm

BRO! W&L is NOT the backdoor to biglaw.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:40 pm

stillwater wrote:BRO! W&L is NOT the backdoor to biglaw.


I understand that and accept that. And I'm not biglaw or bust at all. I'm just looking at things from every perspecive and trying to gether more info I can't get elsewhere (like alumni connections for example)

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of a school having a bad alumni network (at least not an established school in, say, the top 50 or so). Having a supposedly great alumni network is not a reason to choose a school because I doubt it's different there than almost anywhere else.

I'm sure W&L is like most tier 1 schools. Very few will get big law (just tippy top of the class), about half will get lawyer jobs primarily in the state the school is located and the vast majority in the same region (however you define that), and close to half will be SOL.

If you're ok with all that, have the requisite ties to work where the school places you and have a reasonable cost of attendance then go for it.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of a school having a bad alumni network (at least not an established school in, say, the top 50 or so). Having a supposedly great alumni network is not a reason to choose a school because I doubt it's different there than almost anywhere else.

I'm sure W&L is like most tier 1 schools. Very few will get big law (just tippy top of the class), about half will get lawyer jobs primarily in the state the school is located and the vast majority in the same region (however you define that), and close to half will be SOL.

If you're ok with all that, have the requisite ties to work where the school places you and have a reasonable cost of attendance then go for it.


Thanks. I'm still in decision mode and trying the gather as much info as possible but I agree. I am drawn to the school and I think it's a good fit for me. I plan to go to ASW which will prob help a lot.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby stillwater » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:45 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of a school having a bad alumni network (at least not an established school in, say, the top 50 or so). Having a supposedly great alumni network is not a reason to choose a school because I doubt it's different there than almost anywhere else.

I'm sure W&L is like most tier 1 schools. Very few will get big law (just tippy top of the class), about half will get lawyer jobs primarily in the state the school is located and the vast majority in the same region (however you define that), and close to half will be SOL.

If you're ok with all that, have the requisite ties to work where the school places you and have a reasonable cost of attendance then go for it.


Thanks. I'm still in decision mode and trying the gather as much info as possible but I agree. I am drawn to the school and I think it's a good fit for me. I plan to go to ASW which will prob help a lot.


How about a retake and not spend 3 years hustling for crumbs?

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 am

stillwater wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of a school having a bad alumni network (at least not an established school in, say, the top 50 or so). Having a supposedly great alumni network is not a reason to choose a school because I doubt it's different there than almost anywhere else.

I'm sure W&L is like most tier 1 schools. Very few will get big law (just tippy top of the class), about half will get lawyer jobs primarily in the state the school is located and the vast majority in the same region (however you define that), and close to half will be SOL.

If you're ok with all that, have the requisite ties to work where the school places you and have a reasonable cost of attendance then go for it.


Thanks. I'm still in decision mode and trying the gather as much info as possible but I agree. I am drawn to the school and I think it's a good fit for me. I plan to go to ASW which will prob help a lot.


How about a retake and not spend 3 years hustling for crumbs?


Okay I guess we've reached the retake part of this thread. I don't want, at this point, to retake. I find it fascinating that some people just don't seem to understand that it's not an option for eveyone. I took the LSAT three times, can't take it again until dec13 and at this point, without having a serious job (I'm 31, 32 in a few months) I'm not going to take another year out if my life for the LSAT. And I'm adult enough to understand what it means and the actions that come from a low LSAT and the schools that are open to me.
This is not the point or the subject here. Trust me that at my age and everything I went through up until now I am not making decitions out of a whim.
Somehow each and every thread here outside the acceptance forum gets to be about a retake.
This is not against you by all means it's just me blowing off steam on this notion on here. For some people, a retake is not something that can happen at that point in their lives.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 am

Where are you from/currently working? The schools you listed are regional so that will help. Even if you are open to working in another region, employers may not believe you unless you are from or have lived in an area.

talesofyore
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby talesofyore » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 am

This is why I don't ask for advice with regards to where I should go on here. I already know that since I have no T-14 acceptances under my belt the answer will be retake or don't go.

I think for these particular threads people, when answering, should assume the OP is already familiar with the TLS credited advice, put it aside, and answer in other ways.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:31 am

JayJones78 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of a school having a bad alumni network (at least not an established school in, say, the top 50 or so). Having a supposedly great alumni network is not a reason to choose a school because I doubt it's different there than almost anywhere else.

I'm sure W&L is like most tier 1 schools. Very few will get big law (just tippy top of the class), about half will get lawyer jobs primarily in the state the school is located and the vast majority in the same region (however you define that), and close to half will be SOL.

If you're ok with all that, have the requisite ties to work where the school places you and have a reasonable cost of attendance then go for it.


Thanks. I'm still in decision mode and trying the gather as much info as possible but I agree. I am drawn to the school and I think it's a good fit for me. I plan to go to ASW which will prob help a lot.


How about a retake and not spend 3 years hustling for crumbs?


Okay I guess we've reached the retake part of this thread. I don't want, at this point, to retake. I find it fascinating that some people just don't seem to understand that it's not an option for eveyone. I took the LSAT three times, can't take it again until dec13 and at this point, without having a serious job (I'm 31, 32 in a few months) I'm not going to take another year out if my life for the LSAT. And I'm adult enough to understand what it means and the actions that come from a low LSAT and the schools that are open to me.
This is not the point or the subject here. Trust me that at my age and everything I went through up until now I am not making decitions out of a whim.
Somehow each and every thread here outside the acceptance forum gets to be about a retake.
This is not against you by all means it's just me blowing off steam on this notion on here. For some people, a retake is not something that can happen at that point in their lives.


You have to understand how illogical this sounds. You have roughly a 50% shot of getting a "serious job" out of W+L and it's a huge investment of time and money. Now if you told us, hey, I have a full scholly or a 75% scholly in-state tuition, what should I do, you'd get vastly different responses because what you're proposing to do is less unreasonable. You seem to be hoping for some backdoor or some information that will confirm your pre-existing decision to go to law school, which is a big red flag that you aren't thinking rationally. If someone came along and told you "hey W+L's alumni network is awesome!" what would you think?

You need to look at law school as one investment in a world of possible investments, not the only possible investment. When you do this, it makes sense to rule out law school if the expect ROI is poor.

Most threads get to be about retake because the simple fact of the matter is: law school is not a good deal for most people right now. That's why a shitload of people can't find jobs to pay back their debt and applications are cratering.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:31 am

ImNoScar wrote:Where are you from/currently working? The schools you listed are regional so that will help. Even if you are open to working in another region, employers may not believe you unless you are from or have lived in an area.


Not from those regions but I used to live in NC and VA so I know those areas pretty well.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 am

timbs4339 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of a school having a bad alumni network (at least not an established school in, say, the top 50 or so). Having a supposedly great alumni network is not a reason to choose a school because I doubt it's different there than almost anywhere else.



Thanks. I'm still in decision mode and trying the gather as much info as possible but I agree. I am drawn to the school and I think it's a good fit for me. I plan to go to ASW which will prob help a lot.


How about a retake and not spend 3 years hustling for crumbs?


Okay I guess we've reached the retake part of this thread. I don't want, at this point, to retake. I find it fascinating that some people just don't seem to understand that it's not an option for eveyone. I took the LSAT three times, can't take it again until dec13 and at this point, without having a serious job (I'm 31, 32 in a few months) I'm not going to take another year out if my life for the LSAT. And I'm adult enough to understand what it means and the actions that come from a low LSAT and the schools that are open to me.
This is not the point or the subject here. Trust me that at my age and everything I went through up until now I am not making decitions out of a whim.
Somehow each and every thread here outside the acceptance forum gets to be about a retake.
This is not against you by all means it's just me blowing off steam on this notion on here. For some people, a retake is not something that can happen at that point in their lives.


You have to understand how illogical this sounds. You have roughly a 50% shot of getting a "serious job" out of W+L and it's a huge investment of time and money. Now if you told us, hey, I have a full scholly or a 75% scholly in-state tuition, what should I do, you'd get vastly different responses because what you're proposing to do is less unreasonable. You seem to be hoping for some backdoor or some information that will confirm your pre-existing decision to go to law school, which is a big red flag that you aren't thinking rationally. If someone came along and told you "hey W+L's alumni network is awesome!" what would you think?

You need to look at law school as one investment in a world of possible investments, not the only possible investment. When you do this, it makes sense to rule out law school if the expect ROI is poor.

Most threads get to be about retake because the simple fact of the matter is: law school is not a good deal for most people right now. That's why a shitload of people can't find jobs to pay back their debt and applications are cratering.


Understood, and thanks for the response.
That said, I have looked at my options from many different angles and yes I considered taking another (because I am on a "year off" right now) to retake but it's just not going to happen at this point.
Also - give me some credit for not making life decisions on answers I get online. As much as I greatly appreciate the help I get here I'm not going pay my first deposit to W&L because someone or some people here told me that it's a good decision. I'm looking at things holistically (as much as I can) and trying to make a decision that is good for me and for the situation I am in at the point in my life. And right now sitting out is just not the right decision for me. This may change if other things happen from now until August. But I am just going agains the common notion that I (or others) know nothing about schools and options and just ask questions when what we should really do is retake. Do you not think I would retake if I could? Or think that if could right now afford to sit home and study for the LSAT until dec I would do that? I came to the decision to apply and attend next year after looking at things from every angle. I'm not 21 or even 24. It's just different.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:42 am

talesofyore wrote:I think for these particular threads people, when answering, should assume the OP is already familiar with the TLS credited advice, put it aside, and answer in other ways.


Amen to that, man.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15098
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby suralin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:45 am

JayJones78 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of a school having a bad alumni network (at least not an established school in, say, the top 50 or so). Having a supposedly great alumni network is not a reason to choose a school because I doubt it's different there than almost anywhere else.

I'm sure W&L is like most tier 1 schools. Very few will get big law (just tippy top of the class), about half will get lawyer jobs primarily in the state the school is located and the vast majority in the same region (however you define that), and close to half will be SOL.

If you're ok with all that, have the requisite ties to work where the school places you and have a reasonable cost of attendance then go for it.


Thanks. I'm still in decision mode and trying the gather as much info as possible but I agree. I am drawn to the school and I think it's a good fit for me. I plan to go to ASW which will prob help a lot.


How about a retake and not spend 3 years hustling for crumbs?


Okay I guess we've reached the retake part of this thread. I don't want, at this point, to retake. I find it fascinating that some people just don't seem to understand that it's not an option for eveyone. I took the LSAT three times, can't take it again until dec13 and at this point, without having a serious job (I'm 31, 32 in a few months) I'm not going to take another year out if my life for the LSAT. And I'm adult enough to understand what it means and the actions that come from a low LSAT and the schools that are open to me.
This is not the point or the subject here. Trust me that at my age and everything I went through up until now I am not making decitions out of a whim.
Somehow each and every thread here outside the acceptance forum gets to be about a retake.
This is not against you by all means it's just me blowing off steam on this notion on here. For some people, a retake is not something that can happen at that point in their lives.


And spending three years of your life and over $100,000 for a 20% chance of getting a job that can service that debt is something "that can happen at that point in [your life]"? Just saying brah.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:48 am

JayJones78 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Where are you from/currently working? The schools you listed are regional so that will help. Even if you are open to working in another region, employers may not believe you unless you are from or have lived in an area.


Not from those regions but I used to live in NC and VA so I know those areas pretty well.

I think if you lived in the area before its a better choice. Still not a great idea, but better.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Getting serious about W&L

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 am

JayJones78 wrote:Also - give me some credit for not making life decisions on answers I get online. As much as I greatly appreciate the help I get here I'm not going pay my first deposit to W&L because someone or some people here told me that it's a good decision. I'm looking at things holistically (as much as I can) and trying to make a decision that is good for me and for the situation I am in at the point in my life.


I'm not at all in the camp that seems to think TLS has a civic duty to convince everybody to retake and avoid most schools; don't get me wrong, I think the reasoning is sound, but I'm not going to badger people I don't know about those things.

But anyway I just wanted to comment on the quoted bit. I understand that random people online don't know about personal situations and specific circumstances. But really I think overall the concept of an online forum like this and the people it draws are a strength. Sure, you get trolls and people who like to spout opinions without backing them up with evidence. But if you take the community as a whole and try to take in as many opinions as possible, you still get a lot of valuable information that is probably overall a lot more useful than what you could learn simply by talking to family members, friends, and acquaintances.

There are plenty of people like me who have no real experience yet and can only look at numbers, but you do get views from people who have been on the ground and seen the status quo firsthand. And it's not all bitter people who went to TTTs and got no jobs or got bad grades at a T14 and struck out at OCI. There are people here who have done really well, even people who finished at the top of their TTT classes and landed good jobs but nevertheless are aware of how fortunate they were and how easily they could have ended up like many of their struggling classmates.

I'm not saying this to point at anything specific that you said, and I fully agree with trying to look at options from various angles and to get many different perspectives - I just wanted to make that point I guess.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: packerboy31489 and 1 guest