DU Dean Pleads With Prospective Students- Cites Cooley

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

dr123

Re: DU Dean Pleads With Prospective Students- Cites Cooley

Postby dr123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 am

fatduck wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:2) I guess we can agree to disagree, but I don't see how 10% of your lifetime career earnings is a small number. And with the average age of law school students being about 26, that means these lawyers will work until 70? Who plans to work until 70?

lol we're all gonna be working until 80+ bro

Yea, retirement is a thing of the past. We're all going to die working.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Just an update. Backlash from the likes of ITLSS and TLS has prompted DU to edit the statement. It is still horse-shit, but at least it doesn't claim that "Forbes" believes that law school is a great deal. Now it correctly states that "Some dude," who wrote in an op-ed to Forbes and is in no way speaking on behalf of Forbes, believes that law school is a great deal. I doubt prospective 0Ls will actually look into the back ground of the writer, who, of course, happens to work for an LSAT prep company.

At least this is proof that our efforts aren't completely futile. I know 99% of what goes on here looks like complaining, or actually is complaining, but there is real progress that is made from time to time. I think a collective pat on the back is in order.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Just an update. Backlash from the likes of ITLSS and TLS has prompted DU to edit the statement. It is still horse-shit, but at least it doesn't claim that "Forbes" believes that law school is a great deal. Now it correctly states that "Some dude," who wrote in an op-ed to Forbes and is in no way speaking on behalf of Forbes, believes that law school is a great deal. I doubt prospective 0Ls will actually look into the back ground of the writer, who, of course, happens to work for an LSAT prep company.

At least this is proof that our efforts aren't completely futile. I know 99% of what goes on here looks like complaining, or actually is complaining, but there is real progress that is made from time to time. I think a collective pat on the back is in order.

O’Connor’s piece in Forbes provides an accurate comparative analysis. He notes that the average lifetime earnings for a lawyer is $4.03 million, and that the average lifetime earnings for a person with only a bachelor’s degree is $2.27 million. In other words, over a lifetime of employment, the lawyer earns $1.76 million more.[17] As O’Connor points out in Forbes, this not only justifies the cost of law school, it is an excellent investmen.t[18]

It still makes an equivocation between earning a JD and being a lawyer. No one disputes that lawyers makes more on average than those with only a bachelor's degree. What's being disputed is what one's chances are at becoming a lawyer.

With only 37% of the class reporting salaries and only 47.4% of the class employed as lawyers at Denver there is still good reason to be highly skeptical of the boom and bloom picture painted on the website.

Also, the website still credits Forbes in the headline:
Myth #3: Salaries earned by recent law graduates do not justify the cost of law school.
Fact #3: Law salaries are likely to make law school a solid economic investment.
Reality: When it comes to a career in law, as Forbes says, the significant, “lifelong returns justify the investment for the vast majority of applicants.”

I wonder what Forbes thinks of some university using their name brand to promote its profiteering scam?

edit: wow this motherfucker

The author of the cited forbes article runs a shitty prep company, but I can't even post the link because it's censored due to his previous board spamming. This is too funny to make up.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:57 pm

:lol: @ citing Cooley.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 am

fatduck wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:2) I guess we can agree to disagree, but I don't see how 10% of your lifetime career earnings is a small number. And with the average age of law school students being about 26, that means these lawyers will work until 70? Who plans to work until 70?

lol we're all gonna be working until 80+ bro

No way I'm totally planning to get full social security benefits at 65 and sail off into the retirement sunset...

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:26 pm

It doesn't even end there. Shawn P. O'Connor is my new vote for #1 shitbag propagandist of 2013

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/l ... or-in-2013

Return to “Choosing a Law School”