Drexel or Syracuse?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Drexel or Syracuse?

Drexel
73%
Syracuse
27%

Total votes: 26

romothesavior

Re: Drexel or Syracuse?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:33 am

Couple of questions:

-Have you seen the job data for these two schools? Do you realize your odds of getting a full-time permanent legal job of any kind from either school is less than 50%? (go to LawSchoolTransparency.com and search for these two schools if you don't believe me)
-Do you realize that of the lucky few who got real lawyering jobs at these schools, most of them will pay low to mid five figures, almost none pay six, and they include some of the most uninteresting, least prestigious, least enjoyable work?
-Do you realize that the non-discounted cost at both these schools is in excess of $200,000, not even including interest?
-Do you know how hard it is to pay back a quarter million dollars in debt with a mid-five figure salary (and again, that's a good outcome from these two schools)?
-Have you read the news articles about the legal market and the overabundance of lawyers fighting over the most menial and low-paying of jobs?
-Do you realize that Syracuse will have almost no weight at all in Philly?
-Do you realize that retaking the LSAT is far easier than finishing in the top of your class, and you have far more control over it?

If you know all that and are too stubborn to retake and reapply to get into a respectable school (Temple with $$$ at the very least), then good luck. You are making the worst career and financial decision of your life, and you can't say that you weren't warned.

kiwi4president

Postby kiwi4president » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am

I hear if you get accepted to Syracuse they send you a nice t-shirt. HTH

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 am

If you want to be a lawyer, you'll have to retake. If you're rich and just want to live in Philly and waste three years in law school, Drexel sounds fine.

nick417

Postby nick417 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:27 pm

A lot of the people on here are just bitter losers who have to much free time and decide to just bash every law school. I wouldn't pay much attention to them. If your goal is to land a $+100,000/yr job, maybe you should re-think going to law school. IF you want to learn an excellent skill, and make a modest living, law school is a good option. To many people assume law is a meal ticket to being rich. I think that is why so many negative people are on this forum and just bash it.

I live and work in the legal profession in the Philadelphia area. I know people who have recently graduated from Widener (a low Tier 4 school) and have found nice jobs working as lawyers. Drexel, from what I have heard, is on the up and up. It is a Tier 3 school, but should move up into second Tier. If you have a good scholarship offer to Drexel, and want to work in the Philadelphia area, Drexel isn't a bad option. Philadelphia is home to the Eastern District of PA, one of the largest federal district court's in the country. It is also home to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. Syracuse on the other hand appears to me to be in the middle of no where (please correct me if I am wrong). I think Buffalo might be near Syracuse but not sure what that means. Syracuse is also expensive for a law school. I would say no to Syracuse.

North

Postby North » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:02 pm

nick417 wrote:A lot of the people on here are just bitter losers who have to much free time and decide to just bash every law school. I wouldn't pay much attention to them. If your goal is to land a $+100,000/yr job, maybe you should re-think going to law school. IF you want to learn an excellent skill, and make a modest living, law school is a good option. To many people assume law is a meal ticket to being rich. I think that is why so many negative people are on this forum and just bash it.

I live and work in the legal profession in the Philadelphia area. I know people who have recently graduated from Widener (a low Tier 4 school) and have found nice jobs working as lawyers. Drexel, from what I have heard, is on the up and up. It is a Tier 3 school, but should move up into second Tier. If you have a good scholarship offer to Drexel, and want to work in the Philadelphia area, Drexel isn't a bad option. Philadelphia is home to the Eastern District of PA, one of the largest federal district court's in the country. It is also home to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. Syracuse on the other hand appears to me to be in the middle of no where (please correct me if I am wrong). I think Buffalo might be near Syracuse but not sure what that means. Syracuse is also expensive for a law school. I would say no to Syracuse.

Dude who "knows people" vs. Data
Last edited by North on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Nick, those are some cool anecdotes, but here's a question for you: what are your thoughts on the fact that less than 50% of Drexel grads get legal jobs? Not 100k jobs, but lawyer jobs at all. And this for a school with a price tag over $200,000. That's not the rambling of a bitter loser, that's a fact of reality. This isn't about elitism or school snobbery, its about giving people the information needed to make an informed investment.

Pleas stop spouting nonsense. Both of these schools are terrible options unless they're free, and even then, meaningful legal employment is unlikely.

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks everybody! I appreciate all of the input, positive or negative. Drexel's looking like the front runner barring admission to certain schools that waitlisted me. Live long and prosper.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:48 pm

0L here, but I work in the Philadelphia market currently. Drexel seems to spark the interest of small law and they have great administration that I met on accepted students day in January. That being said, of the Drexel grads that I've met one was gainfully employed and the other was doing an unpaid political internship with me (while I was still in UG). If you got the somewhat full scholarship, which I also got, you probably could also get into Temple, Rutgers Camden, and Nova - all of which are better choices at the moment. The Philadelphia market is incestuous, its harder to get a job here from a school as far away as Syracuse. But if Drexel is your only Philly option, I'd say go with it and work extremely hard.

Best of luck to you in the process.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 pm

jsalmasi wrote:Thanks everybody! I appreciate all of the input, positive or negative. Drexel's looking like the front runner barring admission to certain schools that waitlisted me. Live long and prosper.

Going to either in your situation would be the height of retardation.

Circlewave

Postby Circlewave » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
jsalmasi wrote:Thanks everybody! I appreciate all of the input, positive or negative. Drexel's looking like the front runner barring admission to certain schools that waitlisted me. Live long and prosper.

Going to either in your situation would be the height of retardation.

this. we're harsh because we love you, OP

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:15 pm

I love you all right back!

tarp

Postby tarp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 pm

I went to Drexel on pretty much a full ride, graduated cum laude, and I don't regret it. Some of my classmates got legal jobs, others are bartending, others started their own firms. The same is true for people from Rutgers Camden, Temple, Villanova, etc. The job prospects are grim right now, but the same is true for just about any school outside of the creme de la creme. Drexel has a great program, great administration and faculty and is well respected in Philly despite being a new program. I wouldn't advocate anyone paying sticker at ANY law school outside of the top 14, but if Drexel throws you some money it's not a bad choice especially if you want to be in Philly.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 pm

OP just so you know that Syracuse does fail out the bottom 10% to 20% of its class. SO there is a chance that you will flunk out. Syracuse also has a reputation for section stacking people with big scholarships, and if you lose it, tuition runs around 45K a year, PLUS living expenses of another 15K.

Dont know much about Drexel. But you should do some more research before deciding where to go. ( if you want Philly, go to a school in philly)

hth

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 pm

northwood wrote:OP just so you know that Syracuse does fail out the bottom 10% to 20% of its class. SO there is a chance that you will flunk out. Syracuse also has a reputation for section stacking people with big scholarships, and if you lose it, tuition runs around 45K a year, PLUS living expenses of another 15K.

Dont know much about Drexel. But you should do some more research before deciding where to go. ( if you want Philly, go to a school in philly)

hth

This is the truth.

Both schools, out of context, are incredibly terrible ideas. But they're each about equally terrible. Therefore, just go with the tiebreaker, which is location. Drexel is in Philly. You want to work in Philly. Drexel won't even give you a good shot at working as a lawyer in Philly, but it's a far better shot than Syracuse. When at Drexel, you can spend 3 years networking.

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Right, terrible ideas. Still, I'm going to one of these schools, so give me a "Drexel" or "Syracuse" or go find a hobby. Gosh guys read my OP :twisted:

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:01 am

Don't go.

Unless you have a full, guaranteed scholarship or your family is paying every single penny without taking out a cent of debt.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:04 am

Well the poll doesn't restrict you to picking one option, so I just voted for both. I mean if you go to both Drexel AND Syracuse you get 2 OCIs and 2 chances to make the top of your class, so why not.

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 am

Crowing wrote:Well the poll doesn't restrict you to picking one option, so I just voted for both. I mean if you go to both Drexel AND Syracuse you get 2 OCIs and 2 chances to make the top of your class, so why not.

I like your style.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 am

Is there an option for taking a year or two and working? Honestly, I think throwing yourself into the job market even for a short time would help you reconsider your perspective on these options. Even assuming, for the sake of argument, that these two schools had no costs attached to them, you are likely going to struggle finding gainful legal employment.

Syracuse curves very harshly and strongly favors the tippy-top of the class, while completely neglecting the remainder. If you do very well, you have a good opportunity for strong regional (Central New York) legal work. Outside of that, it gets grim. I don't have any anecdotes from Drexel, but the statistics speak for themselves.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 am

If the concept of justice exists, Drexel will be closed in a few years. Any law school that opened up at the time of the great crash of 08' ought to suffer the the same slow death as most of their grads. With that said, I'd take Syracuse. Its still a steaming pile of shit of a school, but it has been around for a while and thus may hold out longer once these schools start to feel the hurt of continued lower application rates.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:12 am

jsalmasi wrote:Right, terrible ideas. Still, I'm going to one of these schools, so give me a "Drexel" or "Syracuse" or go find a hobby. Gosh guys read my OP :twisted:

Why would you purposely make a terrible, terrible decision?

Mr Cooper

Postby Mr Cooper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:53 pm

jsalmasi wrote:Right, terrible ideas. Still, I'm going to one of these schools, so give me a "Drexel" or "Syracuse" or go find a hobby. Gosh guys read my OP :twisted:

If you are hellbent on attending one of these schools, go to Drexel after retaking the LSAT and getting a higher score that will get enough money worth attending. If someone were to offer you $80,000 to retake the LSAT, you would do it in a heartbeat. So why are you so against retaking the LSAT in order to save $80,000+?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:46 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

Why would you purposely make a terrible, terrible decision?

I will never understand the mentality or these people. I've lost all sympathy, I really have. If someone knows the facts about these toilets and they still pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the degree, then I say the schools and their students deserve each other.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:05 pm

And he didn't even do that well.

Syracuse is the backdoor to the White House.

Circlewave

Postby Circlewave » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:06 pm

this thread has only 3 explanations:

1. OP's parents are loaded (which makes going to a shitty school no better, because wasting that much money is practically obscene)
2. One of OP's parents owns a firm and will hire him regardless of which school he comes out of.
3. Troll

Return to “Choosing a Law School”