Drexel or Syracuse?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Drexel or Syracuse?

Drexel
73%
Syracuse
27%

Total votes: 26

jsalmasi

Drexel or Syracuse?

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 am

Hey everyone,

To keep it short, I am from Philly and aspire to work there after graduation. I haven't gotten into any other Philadelphia schools thus far. I realize that Drexel has the prime location, but it is such a new school with minimal recognition. Syracuse has the name, but it is so far that I'm thinking it's not worth it if I plan to come back to Philly after graduation. With the scholarships I have received, I will be paying practically the same for either school. What do you think?

PS save the "retake" advice

bluepenguin

Re: Drexel or Syracuse?

Postby bluepenguin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 am

Syracuse gets you a marginally better chance at getting *a* job. It is highly unlikely that it will be in Philadelphia. If you get legal work out of Drexel it will probably be in Philadelphia, but getting legal work is a crapshoot.

Pick your poison.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:11 am

None of the above

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:19 am

Aawaldrop wrote:None of the above

Dully noted.

Bump

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 am

Retake or don't go

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:22 am

jsalmasi wrote:

Dully noted.

Bump

Really? a 20 minute bump?

As has been said before, this is like asking should I shoot myself in the face or shoot myself in the stomach?
Is either free? Then that one.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 am

shifty_eyed wrote:Retake or don't go

This is the correct answer.

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 am

Icculus wrote:

I'm sorry my bump offended you. I am very very sorry.

Once again, I am not retaking. Anyone else that is planning on telling me to retake, save the energy and leave this page.

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 am

Bump

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:28 am

jsalmasi wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Once again, I am not retaking. Anyone else that is planning on telling me to retake, save the energy and leave this page.

So don't go.

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:28 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
jsalmasi wrote:
Icculus wrote:

So don't go.

I am going.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 am

jsalmasi wrote:

Dully noted.

LOL

Anyway, OP, what is the cost? All you said was that they cost the same.

The only way either school would be worth it would be for free. Even then you need to think about the fact that you may be wasting three years to end up with nothing to show for it because neither school places more than half its class into legal jobs.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:45 am

OP, so based on your post history, you'll be paying around 30K per year at either school (plus cost of living)--is that correct? If so, the choice is clearly neither. If you want to be a lawyer, retake the LSAT. If it's not worth retaking, explore other career options. If you continue on the path you are currently on, you might be making one of the worst financial decisions of your life.

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:48 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
jsalmasi wrote:

Dully noted.

LOL

Anyway, OP, what is the cost? All you said was that they cost the same.

The only way either school would be worth it would be for free. Even then you need to think about the fact that you may be wasting three years to end up with nothing to show for it because neither school places more than half its class into legal jobs.

It's exams week. Been a long night. Sorry about adding an extra l in duly. I'll try harder next time. For all intensive purposes, they are free and don't worry about me wasting three years of my life. "Retake" means absolutely nothing to me so save your time and leave this thread if that is all you have to offer. Pick Drexel, Syracuse, or a better way to spend your time.

Save the "retake" or "neither" advice ladies and gentlemen. For the love of god, read my initial post and act accordingly. Or don't.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:51 am

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 am

If your parents (or someone else) is footing the entire bill, then sure it's not an awful idea. It may end up being a waste of three years if you don't end up with a legal job, but if you have no debt and don't mind the poor job prospects, that changes the analysis. (Though, maybe you should inform your parents or whoever is paying about how bad of an investment they are making.) If the school is free, compare the two on lawschooltransparency and balance that with which school you think you would enjoy more.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

Syracuse does not seem like it will get you back to Philadelphia. In your situation I think Drexel would give you the best bet of a legal job in Philadelphia. I have a friend there now and he seems to like it, whatever that is worth.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:57 am

empyreanrrv wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=syracuse&show=chars&sub=location

Syracuse does not seem like it will get you back to Philadelphia. In your situation I think Drexel would give you the best bet of a legal job in Philadelphia. I have a friend there now and he seems to like it, whatever that is worth.

Finally someone gives me something to work with. I appreciate it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 am

jsalmasi wrote:
empyreanrrv wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=syracuse&show=chars&sub=location

Go to Drexel, but quickly disabuse yourself of the notion that you will get a job. HTH.

jsalmasi

Postby jsalmasi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 am

rad lulz wrote:
jsalmasi wrote:

Go to Drexel, but quickly disabuse yourself of the notion that you will get a job. HTH.

Got it. Thanks.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 am

Both give you about a 50/50 chance at being a lawyer making ~$50k.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:06 am

Out of curiosity, why can't you retake?

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:23 am

I've seen the word "disabuse" being used on this forum a lot lately

North

Postby North » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 am

Wasting mommy and daddy's money because OP doesn't want to put in the work to do it right.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am

jsalmasi wrote:It's exams week. Been a long night. Sorry about adding an extra l in duly. I'll try harder next time. For all intensive purposes, they are free and don't worry about me wasting three years of my life. "Retake" means absolutely nothing to me so save your time and leave this thread if that is all you have to offer. Pick Drexel, Syracuse, or a better way to spend your time.

Save the "retake" or "neither" advice ladies and gentlemen. For the love of god, read my initial post and act accordingly. Or don't.

For the love of god you are still in undergrad, at least that's the assumption I am making since you have exams. Now, even though you may think you know everything you have come to a message board full of people who have already gone through the process you are about to start. I was in your position once, found TLS, dealt with it, and ended up in a far better position than had I not found it.

People are telling you to retake not because we are ultracompetitive assholes (though some of us are) but because we don't want to see you make a huge mistake. Unless school is free, as in full tuition + living expenses and no stips on the money these are not worth it. (Mommy and Daddy paying is not free.) Maybe if you already have a guaranteed job lined up, ane even then I think neither option is worth it. I hate the fact people come on here, get good advice (albeit sometimes in a harsh tone) and assume we're the assholes for giving good advice.

The world isn't fair, and people can be harsh. If you can't take some criticism/harsh tone on a fucking internet message board the legal profession may not be for you.
Last edited by Icculus on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”