Best law school for Corporate Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
barberiolisa

Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby barberiolisa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:41 pm

What would you say was the BEST law school for someone wanting to pursue corporate law?

Columbia....NYU.....Duke.....UPenn....Cornell....Georgetown....Berkeley....Stanford....HY

stillwater

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:47 pm

barberiolisa wrote:What would you say was the BEST law school for someone wanting to pursue corporate law?

Columbia....NYU.....Duke.....UPenn....Cornell....Georgetown....Berkeley....Stanford....HY

NO. HYS>>>>>>>>>>>>>CCN>>whatever comes next

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Yale.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm

What is with people who think law schools have some sort of specialties?

J90

Postby J90 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 pm

My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:What is with people who think law schools have some sort of specialties?

Seriously. The assumption is apparently that T14 grads are being scammed, and that you can outsmart them by going to American or something because of its corporate law specialty.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm

J90 wrote:My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.

--ImageRemoved--

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 pm

J90 wrote:My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.

Vermont is commonly acknowledged as the backdoor to biglaw.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:Yale.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 pm

A friend in my social circle went to Vermont, and a bunch of people were amazed at how incredible this was and frequently spoke about how its environmental specialty was better than Harvard's or Yale's. People actually believe these things.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Gonna go to SLU #1 Healthcare Law for dat ambulance chaser training.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Specialties are so TTT

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 pm

J90

Postby J90 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 pm

moonman157 wrote:

A friend in my social circle went to Vermont, and a bunch of people were amazed at how incredible this was and frequently spoke about how its environmental specialty was better than Harvard's or Yale's. People actually believe these things.

Damn. I wish him the best. :(

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 pm

J90 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:

Haven't spoken to him in a while (he was much older and we were never very close), but I know that the people that used to be in awe of Vermont are now strictly-Top 14 focused, so I can't imagine things turned out too well for him :(

J90

Postby J90 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:07 pm

moonman157 wrote:
J90 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:

Haven't spoken to him in a while (he was much older and we were never very close), but I know that the people that used to be in awe of Vermont are now strictly-Top 14 focused, so I can't imagine things turned out too well for him :(

Having a brief moment of silence for this guy. Fingers are crossed for his future.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Hahaha, what?

Circlewave

Postby Circlewave » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:35 pm

i hear Cooley has an excellent intergalactic law program

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Even without being quite as cynical about law school specialties as the other posters in this thread, it's worth observing that the general law school rankings are already basically arranged around being the "best" for "corporate law."

Power Clean

Postby Power Clean » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Circlewave wrote:i hear Cooley has an excellent intergalactic law program

No joke man, space law is on the up and up as the field of asteroid mining develops. As for Cooley...

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Power Clean wrote:
Circlewave wrote:i hear Cooley has an excellent intergalactic law program

No joke man, space law is on the up and up as the field of asteroid mining develops. As for Cooley...

they're gonna get overtaken by that new florida space coast school of law

Borg

Postby Borg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't know why OP is getting so much shit for this, it's a totally legitimate question. It doesn't seem like he's saying he will choose some other school over Yale, just that he wants to know which faculties and student bodies are most interested in corporate law.

If I had to pick, I would say that Harvard and Columbia are the two schools that seem to give the most attention to it. Both send very high percentages of grads into large firms, and have lots of corporate focused faculty members and very active student organizations (HALB and CBLA actually have some pretty impressive conferences etc.). That said, all of the T-14 have significant resources devoted to corporate law.

Circlewave

Postby Circlewave » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Borg wrote:I don't know why OP is getting so much shit for this, it's a totally legitimate question. It doesn't seem like he's saying he will choose some other school over Yale, just that he wants to know which faculties and student bodies are most interested in corporate law.

If I had to pick, I would say that Harvard and Columbia are the two schools that seem to give the most attention to it. Both send very high percentages of grads into large firms, and have lots of corporate focused faculty members and very active student organizations (HALB and CBLA actually have some pretty impressive conferences etc.). That said, all of the T-14 have significant resources devoted to corporate law.

My snark was due to the fact that a lot of uninformed aspiring lawyers only have a vague idea of law, and invariably say they want "corporate law" because they want to make $$$, as if the only reason every lawyer isn't a millionaire is that they're not all doing "corporate law." I've become generally suspicious of anybody who uses that phrase because i've found it's generally a buzzword for the clueless.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Circlewave wrote:
Borg wrote:I don't know why OP is getting so much shit for this, it's a totally legitimate question. It doesn't seem like he's saying he will choose some other school over Yale, just that he wants to know which faculties and student bodies are most interested in corporate law.

My snark was due to the fact that a lot of uninformed aspiring lawyers only have a vague idea of law, and invariably say they want "corporate law" because they want to make $$$, as if the only reason every lawyer isn't a millionaire is that they're not all doing "corporate law." I've become generally suspicious of anybody who uses that phrase because i've found it's generally a buzzword for the clueless.

Borg

Postby Borg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Circlewave wrote:

I guess, but it seems unwarranted as you couldn't be sure whether he was naive or not. It would be reasonable to ask which schools are the best in the T-14 for public interest, and it's just as reasonable to ask this question.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”