Best law school for Corporate Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
barberiolisa
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:35 am

Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby barberiolisa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:41 pm

What would you say was the BEST law school for someone wanting to pursue corporate law?


Columbia....NYU.....Duke.....UPenn....Cornell....Georgetown....Berkeley....Stanford....HY

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:47 pm

barberiolisa wrote:What would you say was the BEST law school for someone wanting to pursue corporate law?


Columbia....NYU.....Duke.....UPenn....Cornell....Georgetown....Berkeley....Stanford....HY


NO. HYS>>>>>>>>>>>>>CCN>>whatever comes next

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Yale.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm

What is with people who think law schools have some sort of specialties?

J90
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby J90 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 pm

My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby hephaestus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:What is with people who think law schools have some sort of specialties?

Seriously. The assumption is apparently that T14 grads are being scammed, and that you can outsmart them by going to American or something because of its corporate law specialty.

User avatar
dirtrida2
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby dirtrida2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm

J90 wrote:My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 pm

J90 wrote:My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.


Vermont is commonly acknowledged as the backdoor to biglaw.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:Yale.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby moonman157 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 pm

J90 wrote:My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.


A friend in my social circle went to Vermont, and a bunch of people were amazed at how incredible this was and frequently spoke about how its environmental specialty was better than Harvard's or Yale's. People actually believe these things.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Gonna go to SLU #1 Healthcare Law for dat ambulance chaser training.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Specialties are so TTT

User avatar
dirtrida2
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby dirtrida2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 pm


J90
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby J90 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 pm

moonman157 wrote:
J90 wrote:My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.


A friend in my social circle went to Vermont, and a bunch of people were amazed at how incredible this was and frequently spoke about how its environmental specialty was better than Harvard's or Yale's. People actually believe these things.


Damn. I wish him the best. :(

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby moonman157 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 pm

J90 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
J90 wrote:My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.


A friend in my social circle went to Vermont, and a bunch of people were amazed at how incredible this was and frequently spoke about how its environmental specialty was better than Harvard's or Yale's. People actually believe these things.


Damn. I wish him the best. :(


Haven't spoken to him in a while (he was much older and we were never very close), but I know that the people that used to be in awe of Vermont are now strictly-Top 14 focused, so I can't imagine things turned out too well for him :(

J90
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby J90 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:07 pm

moonman157 wrote:
J90 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
J90 wrote:My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.


A friend in my social circle went to Vermont, and a bunch of people were amazed at how incredible this was and frequently spoke about how its environmental specialty was better than Harvard's or Yale's. People actually believe these things.


Damn. I wish him the best. :(


Haven't spoken to him in a while (he was much older and we were never very close), but I know that the people that used to be in awe of Vermont are now strictly-Top 14 focused, so I can't imagine things turned out too well for him :(


Having a brief moment of silence for this guy. Fingers are crossed for his future.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
J90 wrote:My bro got into Harvard but chose Vermont for its Environmental Law specialty.


--ImageRemoved--


Hahaha, what?

Circlewave
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby Circlewave » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:35 pm

i hear Cooley has an excellent intergalactic law program

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Even without being quite as cynical about law school specialties as the other posters in this thread, it's worth observing that the general law school rankings are already basically arranged around being the "best" for "corporate law."

User avatar
Power Clean
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:35 am

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby Power Clean » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Circlewave wrote:i hear Cooley has an excellent intergalactic law program


No joke man, space law is on the up and up as the field of asteroid mining develops. As for Cooley...

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby Crowing » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Power Clean wrote:
Circlewave wrote:i hear Cooley has an excellent intergalactic law program


No joke man, space law is on the up and up as the field of asteroid mining develops. As for Cooley...


they're gonna get overtaken by that new florida space coast school of law

User avatar
Borg
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby Borg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't know why OP is getting so much shit for this, it's a totally legitimate question. It doesn't seem like he's saying he will choose some other school over Yale, just that he wants to know which faculties and student bodies are most interested in corporate law.

If I had to pick, I would say that Harvard and Columbia are the two schools that seem to give the most attention to it. Both send very high percentages of grads into large firms, and have lots of corporate focused faculty members and very active student organizations (HALB and CBLA actually have some pretty impressive conferences etc.). That said, all of the T-14 have significant resources devoted to corporate law.

Circlewave
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby Circlewave » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Borg wrote:I don't know why OP is getting so much shit for this, it's a totally legitimate question. It doesn't seem like he's saying he will choose some other school over Yale, just that he wants to know which faculties and student bodies are most interested in corporate law.

If I had to pick, I would say that Harvard and Columbia are the two schools that seem to give the most attention to it. Both send very high percentages of grads into large firms, and have lots of corporate focused faculty members and very active student organizations (HALB and CBLA actually have some pretty impressive conferences etc.). That said, all of the T-14 have significant resources devoted to corporate law.


My snark was due to the fact that a lot of uninformed aspiring lawyers only have a vague idea of law, and invariably say they want "corporate law" because they want to make $$$, as if the only reason every lawyer isn't a millionaire is that they're not all doing "corporate law." I've become generally suspicious of anybody who uses that phrase because i've found it's generally a buzzword for the clueless.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Circlewave wrote:
Borg wrote:I don't know why OP is getting so much shit for this, it's a totally legitimate question. It doesn't seem like he's saying he will choose some other school over Yale, just that he wants to know which faculties and student bodies are most interested in corporate law.

If I had to pick, I would say that Harvard and Columbia are the two schools that seem to give the most attention to it. Both send very high percentages of grads into large firms, and have lots of corporate focused faculty members and very active student organizations (HALB and CBLA actually have some pretty impressive conferences etc.). That said, all of the T-14 have significant resources devoted to corporate law.


My snark was due to the fact that a lot of uninformed aspiring lawyers only have a vague idea of law, and invariably say they want "corporate law" because they want to make $$$, as if the only reason every lawyer isn't a millionaire is that they're not all doing "corporate law." I've become generally suspicious of anybody who uses that phrase because i've found it's generally a buzzword for the clueless.

User avatar
Borg
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: Best law school for Corporate Law?

Postby Borg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Circlewave wrote:
Borg wrote:I don't know why OP is getting so much shit for this, it's a totally legitimate question. It doesn't seem like he's saying he will choose some other school over Yale, just that he wants to know which faculties and student bodies are most interested in corporate law.

If I had to pick, I would say that Harvard and Columbia are the two schools that seem to give the most attention to it. Both send very high percentages of grads into large firms, and have lots of corporate focused faculty members and very active student organizations (HALB and CBLA actually have some pretty impressive conferences etc.). That said, all of the T-14 have significant resources devoted to corporate law.


My snark was due to the fact that a lot of uninformed aspiring lawyers only have a vague idea of law, and invariably say they want "corporate law" because they want to make $$$, as if the only reason every lawyer isn't a millionaire is that they're not all doing "corporate law." I've become generally suspicious of anybody who uses that phrase because i've found it's generally a buzzword for the clueless.


I guess, but it seems unwarranted as you couldn't be sure whether he was naive or not. It would be reasonable to ask which schools are the best in the T-14 for public interest, and it's just as reasonable to ask this question.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nunumaster, sdancer89 and 4 guests