Tier 2 in Chicago Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fbmelms

New

Tier 2 in Chicago

Post by fbmelms » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:34 pm

x
Last edited by fbmelms on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Gold

Re: Tier 2 in Chicago

Post by stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:37 pm

lol wut?

gonna need wayyy more info. what are your post law school goals? what kind of scholarships do you have (amount and stips)? will you be paying for cost of living on top of tuition? but right now im gonna say these are 3 pretty poor schools

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Loyola is the best of the three overall but it's still not a good option.

fbmelms

New

Post by fbmelms » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:47 pm

x
Last edited by fbmelms on Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 pm

All three of these schools are poor choices short of a full ride (and even then I'd be wary). Retake the LSAT and aim higher

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:09 pm

You can go to any of those schools, but you should rapidly disabuse yourself of the notion that you will get a decent job.

bre.kidman

New

Post by bre.kidman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:23 pm

FWIW:

I went to LUC for undergrad. The law campus is downtown (steps from the water tower) and it's heinously expensive to live around there. It is the best of those three options but, like others have pointed out, very pricey given the competition with Northwestern and UofC. I'm in there as well and am waiting on scholarship info, but I'd probably try to live in Rogers Park again (where their undergrad campus is)/Ravenswood/Logan Square if I was moving back to Chicago. It's a nasty commute on the El and you're DEFINITELY not going to want your car at Loyola downtown, but it beats $1300 a month for a studio in River North.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm

You have to retake. I wouldnt go to any of these schools on a full scholarship.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

What kind of civil litigation? What types of clients? What issues?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 pm

ImNoScar wrote:You have to retake. I wouldnt go to any of these schools on a full scholarship.

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Post by Giddy-Up » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Graduated from Chicago Kent in 2011. You will get a good education at Kent and probably enjoy a lot of your time there. But, it is extremely expensive and you need to be in the top 5-10% of the class to have a decent chance at Big Law. Even then, it is not guaranteed. As others have posted, going at full freight is almost certainly not a good idea. If you do get a big scholarship, it becomes a better, but not necessarily great option. When I went through, the stips for scholarships were top 25% or so. That may have changed. That first year, with the scholarship on the line, was super stressful.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 pm

I went to depaul, transfered to nu and work biglaw. Do not go to any of the threr if you want biglaw. You need to absolutely kill it to have a shot and the risk is too great to take on the debt. Take a year off, retake the lsat and enjoy better employment rates elsewhere

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:10 am

rad lulz wrote:You can go to any of those schools, but you should rapidly disabuse yourself of the notion that you will get a decent job.
ImNoScar wrote:You have to retake. I wouldnt go to any of these schools on a full scholarship.
Couldn't have summed it up better myself. The Chicago legal market is incredibly saturated right now, so those schools definitely aren't going to do you any favors.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:I went to depaul, transfered to nu and work biglaw. Do not go to any of the threr if you want biglaw. You need to absolutely kill it to have a shot and the risk is too great to take on the debt. Take a year off, retake the lsat and enjoy better employment rates elsewhere
^^^LISTEN TO THIS... someone who has actually been there and knows the situation on the ground.

OP these are not good schools. They have terrible employment prospects and are very expensive. Don't go to any of them. Retake.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Giddy-Up wrote:You will get a good education at Kent and probably enjoy a lot of your time there.
But you could say this about any law school, even People's College.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:50 pm

bre.kidman wrote:FWIW:

I went to LUC for undergrad. The law campus is downtown (steps from the water tower) and it's heinously expensive to live around there. It is the best of those three options but, like others have pointed out, very pricey given the competition with Northwestern and UofC. I'm in there as well and am waiting on scholarship info, but I'd probably try to live in Rogers Park again (where their undergrad campus is)/Ravenswood/Logan Square if I was moving back to Chicago. It's a nasty commute on the El and you're DEFINITELY not going to want your car at Loyola downtown, but it beats $1300 a month for a studio in River North.
Outed as having never lived in New York.

OP: Don't go without a full ride, but you should probably retake and shoot for NU.

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Post by Giddy-Up » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm

cinephile wrote:
Giddy-Up wrote:You will get a good education at Kent and probably enjoy a lot of your time there.
True, to a point. Unlike People's College, you will almost certainly pass the bar coming out of Kent. But, I am not here to sing the praises of Kent. I agree with all of the posters regarding the risk and reward. I enjoyed my time at Kent, and everything worked out great, but I have plenty of friends and classmates with far different stories.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Study and retake man. The pressure and difficulty of retaking the LSAT is far less than being top 10% in your class. Seriously. Retake. Everyone here has done it, and no one regrets it. I was in your shoes a few years ago. I was actually getting rejected from the Chi T2, and I was REALLY hoping to go somewhere, even if I had to pay sticker. Then I realized that taking time to study and work isn't a big deal, in fact, it was the best decision I've ever made. I have a full ride to Illinois, and I was able to get awesome work experience. Retake. FWIW, Illinois is more lax in admissions than they were a few years ago, and this trend probably won't last for too long, so at least try to take advantage. Although NW, UC are preferable.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CK2012

New

Post by CK2012 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:11 am

Last edited by CK2012 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:12 am

Giddy-Up wrote:
cinephile wrote:
True, to a point. Unlike People's College, you will almost certainly pass the bar coming out of Kent. But, I am not here to sing the praises of Kent. I agree with all of the posters regarding the risk and reward. I enjoyed my time at Kent, and everything worked out great, but I have plenty of friends and classmates with far different stories.
No, you pass the bar from Kent because they have some kind of standards whereas anyone can enroll in People's College.

Law school doesn't prepare you for the bar, they just pre-screen applicants who they believe are likely to pass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”