loyola chicago vs loyola LA vs Chicago Kent

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bluegreen
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:39 pm

loyola chicago vs loyola LA vs Chicago Kent

Postby bluegreen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 am

Retaking the LSAT is not an option for me so please don't suggest that. I took it five years ago and don't have the time to wait to retake it and redo the app cycle b/c I'm already an older student. If anyone has insight to these schools and can help me decide, great. So far, received 18-20K at Loyola LA and Kent, waiting on Loyola Chicago. I love LA but husband currently works in Chicago (he could probably find a job in LA). Worth to make him move for Loyola LA or are all 3 schools the same? Has anyone visited all 3 or 2 of the 3? Anyone with insight in the Chicago or LA areas? Thanks in advance.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: loyola chicago vs loyola LA vs Chicago Kent

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:01 pm

bluegreen wrote:Retaking the LSAT is not an option for me so please don't suggest that.

Yes it is. Your reason for not wanting to retake isn't really a good one. A lot of people on TLS have gone through your situation and have retaken, and it really does make a world of difference.

None of these schools is worth anywhere near the price you're looking at. If you really aren't going to commit to putting yourself in a position to succeed by retaking the LSAT, then don't go to law school.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: loyola chicago vs loyola LA vs Chicago Kent

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm

What are you looking to do with a law degree? How much of this will be debt financed?

Not sure if you're familiar with the numbers, but here is job data for all three schools:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola-chicago
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=chicago-kent

Your odds at a full-time, permanent legal job is less than 50% at any of these schools. Your odds at a decent job (either high paying, or at least interesting work) from one of these school is even lower. Chances are you're looking at unemployment, gross underemployment (part-time work, or a temp job), or a FT job that sucks (think low 5-figures doing insurance defense work or something comparable). The vast majority of grads will fall into these three categories at the Loyolas or Kent.

I don't mean that to be harsh, but that's the outlook from these schools. Is that really worth paying tens of thousands of dollars and giving up three years of your life for?

bluegreen
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: loyola chicago vs loyola LA vs Chicago Kent

Postby bluegreen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:What are you looking to do with a law degree? How much of this will be debt financed?

Not sure if you're familiar with the numbers, but here is job data for all three schools:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola-chicago
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=chicago-kent

Your odds at a full-time, permanent legal job is less than 50% at any of these schools. Your odds at a decent job (either high paying, or at least interesting work) from one of these school is even lower. Chances are you're looking at unemployment, gross underemployment (part-time work, or a temp job), or a FT job that sucks (think low 5-figures doing insurance defense work or something comparable). The vast majority of grads will fall into these three categories at the Loyolas or Kent.

I don't mean that to be harsh, but that's the outlook from these schools. Is that really worth paying tens of thousands of dollars and giving up three years of your life for?



I totally understand.

I have a strong business background and actually may not become an attorney at all, I may go back to a business-related job. It depends on how school goes and what I find to be interesting. I chose a JD program over an MBA to open more doors as far as types of work. It's a well-rounded curriculum, and I at least want the option to become an attorney. I am also not looking to do biglaw because I've already worked for a top corporate firm in life and have no intention to go back to that lifestyle.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: loyola chicago vs loyola LA vs Chicago Kent

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:38 pm

bluegreen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What are you looking to do with a law degree? How much of this will be debt financed?

Not sure if you're familiar with the numbers, but here is job data for all three schools:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola-chicago
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=chicago-kent

Your odds at a full-time, permanent legal job is less than 50% at any of these schools. Your odds at a decent job (either high paying, or at least interesting work) from one of these school is even lower. Chances are you're looking at unemployment, gross underemployment (part-time work, or a temp job), or a FT job that sucks (think low 5-figures doing insurance defense work or something comparable). The vast majority of grads will fall into these three categories at the Loyolas or Kent.

I don't mean that to be harsh, but that's the outlook from these schools. Is that really worth paying tens of thousands of dollars and giving up three years of your life for?



I totally understand.

I have a strong business background and actually may not become an attorney at all, I may go back to a business-related job. It depends on how school goes and what I find to be interesting. I chose a JD program over an MBA to open more doors as far as types of work. It's a well-rounded curriculum, and I at least want the option to become an attorney. I am also not looking to do biglaw because I've already worked for a top corporate firm in life and have no intention to go back to that lifestyle.


How much debt will you be taking on?

A JD program is not a "well-rounded curriculum." It stresses one skill: thinking like an appellate court judge or litigator. It does not, by itself, give you a leg up in non-JD fields, and if you don't want to become a lawyer it is simply a waste of money.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: loyola chicago vs loyola LA vs Chicago Kent

Postby nba101790 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Back to the straightforward question at hand: Are these three comparable?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: loyola chicago vs loyola LA vs Chicago Kent

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:54 pm

nba101790 wrote:Back to the straightforward question at hand: Are these three comparable?

Back to the straightforward answer already provided:


They're comparable in the way that cat poop, dog poop, and bird poop are comparable. They're all pretty much equally shit. Loyola, Depaul, and Kent are almost indistinguishable in Chicago, and Loyola LA has similar prospects for the LA market. All are way down on the totem pole for jobs in their already oversaturated markets, and none are worth going to without a massive scholarship (see: pretty much free).

OP, if you are looking to get a degree to further your business career, get an MBA. Can a law degree open doors in business? Yes. But not as well as an MBA can, so why not go the MBA route? Using your JD to get a business job is a fine option if you're a 2L or 3L and can't find a job in the law, but you shouldn't go into law school and waste money on the degree with the intention of using the JD to get a business job. It's not a "well-rounded program," it's a professional school that trains people to be lawyers (and poorly at that).

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: loyola chicago vs loyola LA vs Chicago Kent

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Listen to Romo. Don't go to law school.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hwwong and 3 guests