Thoughts- USC/LOYOLA/UCI/BU??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lakers0604

New

Thoughts- USC/LOYOLA/UCI/BU???

Post by lakers0604 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 am

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where I should go? My acceptances thus far:

-Chapman Law: Full ride
-Loyola: $100k (negotiating for more; they said they would get back to me by end of month)
-UCI: $60k (negotiating for more; they said they would get back to me by end of month)

I am still waiting on USC and a few other out of state schools like BU. I have a friend who had same numbers as me (same race as well) and got into USC with no $$. I'm hoping this means I will get in as well (wishful thinking, yes). But should I take either of those 3 with $$? Or should I go USC/BU full sticker?

With UCI/Chapman, I could live at home. Anywhere else I would have to move!

Thanks in advance for your advice! If you could also give reasoning as to why as well that is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by lakers0604 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Thoughts???

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:16 am

Retake. USC sticker is bad news, and the others just aren't worth it.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:26 am

Agreed. BU/USC are very risky at sticker price. Chapman, even as a full ride, does not have very good employment prospects according to LST. If it is truly free though, maybe it is worth it to you, but the best course of action would be to retake the LSAT.

What type of law do you want to practice? Do you have any preference for location? What are your numbers? You say you have a friend who is the same race as you-- does this mean you are a URM?

lakers0604

New

Post by lakers0604 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:45 am

empyreanrrv wrote:Agreed. BU/USC are very risky at sticker price. Chapman, even as a full ride, does not have very good employment prospects according to LST. If it is truly free though, maybe it is worth it to you, but the best course of action would be to retake the LSAT.

What type of law do you want to practice? Do you have any preference for location? What are your numbers? You say you have a friend who is the same race as you-- does this mean you are a URM?
I don't know what type of law I want to practice. I would prefer to practice in So Cal.

My friend and I are both NOT URM. Both "white" as it is given. My numbers are 3.9/162.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:49 am

lakers0604 wrote:
empyreanrrv wrote:Agreed. BU/USC are very risky at sticker price. Chapman, even as a full ride, does not have very good employment prospects according to LST. If it is truly free though, maybe it is worth it to you, but the best course of action would be to retake the LSAT.

I don't know what type of law I want to practice. I would prefer to practice in So Cal.

My friend and I are both NOT URM. Both "white" as it is given. My numbers are 3.9/162.
Chapman is a huge risk. The top third stip to keep the scholarship is very frightening, and the fact that only 40% of scholarship recipients keep their scholarships is even more scary. TLS does not like UCI, but I would choose it in this situation, especially since you are not having to spend more on COL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superpippo

New

Post by superpippo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:50 am

lakers0604 wrote:

Damn, with that 3.9 no one on this board will ever again pay attention to your posts until you've retaken and scored over 170.

But seriously though, retake, people would kill for that GPA.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Re: Thoughts- USC/LOYOLA/UCI/BU???

Post by empyreanrrv » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:13 am

With that GPA you are at or above the median of every law school. You absolutely need to retake the LSAT.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:17 am

If you dont retake in June, you will very likely regret it for the rest of your life.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:20 am

USC/BU at sticker at sticker are generally bad moves. The Loyola offer isnt terrible (assuming no gpa stipulations), but you can defintely do better.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 am

Nova wrote:If you dont retake in June, you will very likely regret it for the rest of your life.
3.9/172 has a fantastic shot at HYS. 171 is still in serious contention.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”