W&M and California Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
akasabian

Bronze

W&M and California

Post by akasabian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:06 am

Hey all,
I'm just starting to have to make some difficult decisions, but the good kinds in my book. I've gotten in to some West Coast schools (T1 but lower T1) with full scholarship and got in to W&M today with $33k a year, so just shy of full tuition. Not sure where I want to practice, but I'm leaning towards West Coast.
Does W&M have enough reputation to warrant possibly going to if I decide I want to work in CA? Or is it more of a regional school? W&M is decently above some of the schools I've gotten into (according to rank) and so I'm trying to weight the options.

Dmini7

Silver

Re: W&M and California

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:09 am

W&M will not get you to CA. If you have full rides from low T1 CA schools, you should be able to get into USC/UCLA and possibly crack the T14. What is your LSAT score? I see the 3.7, and are you a URM?

If you want CA you need to choose a California school or a T14

akasabian

Bronze

Post by akasabian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 am

Dmini7 wrote:W&M will not get you to CA. If you have full rides from low T1 CA schools, you should be able to get into USC/UCLA and possibly crack the T14. What is your LSAT score? I see the 3.7, and are you a URM?

If you want CA you need to choose a California school or a T14
Frankly I don't know how I got that much at W&M (applicant numbers down?), but I have a 3.72 LSAC GPA and a 164 LSAT.
Non-URM

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:44 am

Definitely retake

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:46 am

Do any of your full rides give you a living stipend? I still think you have a shot at USC since your GPA is right at their 75th(but you will probably be looking at sticker). With that said, if CA is your top choice of where to work, you really can't justify going to W&M. Where are your full rides? I assume they are either Loyola/Pepperdine which place around the same in LA, maybe Loyola is favored thanks to its alumni network. TLS will tell you to retake, but if your willing to take the chance(assuming no stipulations on your scholarship), I would say going for free would be worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”