Penn v. Cardozo $$$ (poll) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Penn
89%
Cardozo w/$$$
7%
Neither
4%

Total votes: 193

francesfarmer

Silver

Re: Penn v. Cardozo $$$ (poll)

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I don't know if Cornell usually gives money to those below their GPA median (which I assume you are?).

Sorry I'm a 3L and haven't done this in a while.
They do.

If OP gets anything from them it'll be between 30-60k. I'd guess 30k.
Good to know! Dunno if 30k would make Cornell > Penn in this situation.

Thanks everyone, I'll come back to this thread in a few months when all the chips have fallen.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Penn by a mile. Dozo isn't worth anything near what you'd be paying.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Guuuuurl, I'd take Penn at sticker. Beg them for something and see if they bite.

Though, I can't imagine Cornell not giving you something nice. :o

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Friends don't let friends choose 'bozo.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:36 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Did you get NYU ? Their LRAP is strong for PI and I'd say its' the "safest" sticker you could pay for PI...
Nope. ED app was deferred. I'm anticipating WL but I'm mentally preparing for my rejection
With a 3.5/172, you should be pretty close to a lock for NYU: http://myLSN.info/oet6sx. Hang in there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Did you get NYU ? Their LRAP is strong for PI and I'd say its' the "safest" sticker you could pay for PI...
Nope. ED app was deferred. I'm anticipating WL but I'm mentally preparing for my rejection
With a 3.5/172, you should be pretty close to a lock for NYU: http://myLSN.info/oet6sx. Hang in there.
I don't have a 3.5! But I'm not too far below it so thanks.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Sorry, was just going by your profile. I don't know why this site won't make it to where you can input GPAs by the hundredth. Your chances still look quite good, though, assuming you fall within this range: http://myLSN.info/t221g1 (removed the most competitive recent cycle). Good luck!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Sorry, was just going by your profile. I don't know why this site won't make it to where you can input GPAs by the hundredth. Your chances still look quite good, though, assuming you fall within this range: http://myLSN.info/t221g1 (removed the most competitive recent cycle). Good luck!
I'm just barely in that range, and very confused by NYU's deferral, as a lot of us ED people were. Thanks!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:42 pm

off-topic q, but why did you exclude 09-10..

i've heard some stuff here about that cycle before - was it weird ?

Ti Malice wrote:Sorry, was just going by your profile. I don't know why this site won't make it to where you can input GPAs by the hundredth. Your chances still look quite good, though, assuming you fall within this range: http://myLSN.info/t221g1 (removed the most competitive recent cycle). Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 pm

toothbrush wrote:off-topic q, but why did you exclude 09-10..

That was the cycle that saw the highest volume of apps after the economy cratered. It was too competitive to be very instructive for many of today's applicants.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Ti Malice wrote:

That was the cycle that saw the highest volume of apps after the economy cratered. It was too competitive to be very instructive for many of today's applicants.
Its also misleading to include the current cycle, especially for NYU when WL's have not been released yet so the results will be biased upwards.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Force some money outta Penn.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:29 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

Its also misleading to include the current cycle, especially for NYU when WL's have not been released yet so the results will be biased upwards.
Good point, but it scarcely makes a difference in practice: http://myLSN.info/rajx0e.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Everyone. NO ONE should be committing to a school in February. It is axiomatic that schools, especially the non-HYS higher-ranked schools, are in a vice--they need you and your metrics more than you need them. Get your money.

Schools will give you some line in February. But when the tiny, tiny applicant pool dries into a urine puddle in June, they'll give you a different line.

Stall. Don't commit, or force the school into adopting an early refusal.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:I don't know if Cornell usually gives money to those below their GPA median (which I assume you are?).

Sorry I'm a 3L and haven't done this in a while.
They do.

If OP gets anything from them it'll be between 30-60k. I'd guess 30k.
Also keep in mind that Cornell says they dont negotiate money but they very much do. Inform them of your Michigan award before they do financial aid awards in April. As it stands, though, I'd choose Penn.

Edit: Also, last year Cardozo bumped nearly everyone at their lsat 75th up to a full ride around deposit time. So if you decide Cardozo (which I wouldnt) dont do it yet.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 pm

"I cannot make a decision right now, other schools are considering scholarship offers, I will require an extension of my deposit deadline."

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Good point, but it scarcely makes a difference in practice: http://myLSN.info/rajx0e.
True, in this case it doesn't make a difference. I guess I was making a general comment because I see a lot of people including this cycles results when they post mylsn data which can be misleading depending on the school

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
True, in this case it doesn't make a difference. I guess I was making a general comment because I see a lot of people including this cycles results when they post mylsn data which can be misleading depending on the school
Wouldn't current non ED / EA / URM results be a decent signifier for this cycle ? And thus far, it looks generous..

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:34 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Also keep in mind that Cornell says they dont negotiate money but they very much do. Inform them of your Michigan award before they do financial aid awards in April. As it stands, though, I'd choose Penn.
I thought TCR was to wait out scholarship offers before trying to negotiate?

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:40 pm

TCR is to wait and then wait some more. There is no reason for you to rush. Wait until you get responses from some schools and negotiate for money. For some schools it is better to do it sooner rather than later, before they run out of money. Also, I think you are more likely than not to get into NYU off the waitlist.

Yossarian79

New

Post by Yossarian79 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm in almost your exact same situation (40K from Cardozo, splitter, want to do public interest), except in my case the T10 I've gotten into so far is Michigan. The debt at sticker scares the crap out of me, but Cardozo's job prospects, such as they are, scare me even more. F me for underachieving during undergrad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Yossarian79 wrote:I'm in almost your exact same situation (40K from Cardozo, splitter, want to do public interest), except in my case the T10 I've gotten into so far is Michigan. The debt at sticker scares the crap out of me, but Cardozo's job prospects, such as they are, scare me even more. F me for underachieving during undergrad.
Michigan is a damn good outcome with your stats.

Yossarian79

New

Post by Yossarian79 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:49 pm

"Michigan is a damn good outcome with your stats."

Oh, I know it. I was stunned that I got in. I'm also a nontraditional with some pretty awesome softs, so I have to think that played a big role.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:52 pm

manofjustice wrote:"I cannot make a decision right now, other schools are considering scholarship offers, I will require an extension of my deposit deadline."
Does this work?

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm not anywhere close to committing to any schools right now--I was responding specifically to the suggestion that I tell Cornell about my $30k from Michigan before Cornell gives me scholarship info. I don't think that makes sense!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”