University of Washington at sticker - Worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TatteredDignity

Re: University of Washington at sticker - Worth it?

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 am

Hey man, I'm mostly just trolling. My bad for getting this thread off topic. Like I said before: I was being dramatic, STL is a fine place, and I'm sure the people I've met who have the attitude I described are not representative. Moreover, I don't give a crap whether anyone in Saint Louis likes KC. There's only so much room in a small city, anyway.

May we peacefully coexist.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 am

TatteredDignity wrote: My bad for getting this thread off topic.

Its ok. The answer to the thread title is clearly hell no.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:07 am

Nova wrote:

Yeah, but OP didn't like that answer.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:54 am

Damn the intra-Missouri rivalry is way more intense than NorCal vs. SoCal. We mostly just make fun of people for saying hella.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:56 am

Yukos wrote:Damn the intra-Missouri rivalry is way more intense than NorCal vs. SoCal. We mostly just make fun of people for saying hella.

everybody wants to be the king of nowhere

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:52 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
Nova wrote:

Yeah, but OP didn't like that answer.

After further research, I am in full agreement with you guys. The answer is clearly hell no. I am applying to WUSTL, and have been accepted to Iowa, where I would way rather live. I'm also still hoping for Cornell, although it 's a long shot. Your thoughts have have been ignored and are appreciated.

star fox

Postby star fox » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:57 pm

I think you should sit this Cycle out and re-think your entire application strategy next year. If you want to work in Kansas City you need to apply to schools that are close by there. Hating St. Louis is not a mature reason to not apply to a Law School. I've cheered hard against the Notre Dame Football team for as long as I can remember and I'm a big college football fan. I still applied there because it's a school that makes sense for me (I'm from the Chicagoland and would like to stay nearby).

You should definitely apply to WUSTL because it's the best school in the state you want to work in. You should also apply to Missouri because it's another big school in the area and they'll give you a good scholarship. Tier-1 schools don't have a national reach like the T14 do so don't expect that a degree from there will get a job in KC over people that are from schools around there.

It's your call though. Washington's a good school. If you get good grades I'm sure you can find a job at a good law office. You're just making things a bit more difficult for yourself. Gotta think about how you're gonna pay of all that debt $$$$. Re-taking is never the wrong option. It's also good to get more job experience which helps a lot in Law Schools apps.

Itinerant

Postby Itinerant » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:04 pm

john7234797 wrote: Re-taking is never the wrong option. It's also good to get more job experience which helps a lot in Law Schools apps.

Professional job experience helps more during OCI.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:14 pm

john7234797 wrote:I think you should sit this Cycle out and re-think your entire application strategy next year. If you want to work in Kansas City you need to apply to schools that are close by there. Hating St. Louis is not a mature reason to not apply to a Law School. I've cheered hard against the Notre Dame Football team for as long as I can remember and I'm a big college football fan. I still applied there because it's a school that makes sense for me (I'm from the Chicagoland and would like to stay nearby).

You should definitely apply to WUSTL because it's the best school in the state you want to work in. You should also apply to Missouri because it's another big school in the area and they'll give you a good scholarship. Tier-1 schools don't have a national reach like the T14 do so don't expect that a degree from there will get a job in KC over people that are from schools around there.

It's your call though. Washington's a good school. If you get good grades I'm sure you can find a job at a good law office. You're just making things a bit more difficult for yourself. Gotta think about how you're gonna pay of all that debt $$$$. Re-taking is never the wrong option. It's also good to get more job experience which helps a lot in Law Schools apps.

Agree that he needs to retake and/or attend WUSTL but there is some questionable stuff in your post. ND probably won't place well into Chicago. He wants to work in Kansas, not Missouri. He doesn't really need more work experience, he is an old. And as for UW being a good school, their job placement says otherwise.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:03 pm

john7234797 wrote:I think you should sit this Cycle out and re-think your entire application strategy next year. If you want to work in Kansas City you need to apply to schools that are close by there. Hating St. Louis is not a mature reason to not apply to a Law School. I've cheered hard against the Notre Dame Football team for as long as I can remember and I'm a big college football fan. I still applied there because it's a school that makes sense for me (I'm from the Chicagoland and would like to stay nearby).

star fox

Postby star fox » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Agree that he needs to retake and/or attend WUSTL but there is some questionable stuff in your post. ND probably won't place well into Chicago. He wants to work in Kansas, not Missouri. He doesn't really need more work experience, he is an old. And as for UW being a good school, their job placement says otherwise.

I'm not sold on attending ND by any means. I mentioned "close by" because I know Chicago is hard to crack. Illinois is the most common location for ND grads. Just saying that it made sense for me to apply to ND because it's close by (under 2 hours from Chicago) and in the radius of where I'd like to live some day. I interpreted KC as KC, MO so that's my bad.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 pm

lakerinstl wrote:My wife is from KC. She moved and currently lives in St. Louis and has no intention of ever going back to KC. She doesn't hate KC, just knows there's no movement and opportunities for growth in that city.

No no no. St. Louis is the epitome of old boys' clubbyness, they distrust outsiders. Breaking into this city as a lawyer would not be easy.

lakerinstl

Postby lakerinstl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 am

romothesavior wrote:
lakerinstl wrote:My wife is from KC. She moved and currently lives in St. Louis and has no intention of ever going back to KC. She doesn't hate KC, just knows there's no movement and opportunities for growth in that city.

No no no. St. Louis is the epitome of old boys' clubbyness, they distrust outsiders. Breaking into this city as a lawyer would not be easy.

Well of course the legal field has a strong feeling about "ties" to the area, but what middle market city doesn't? Maybe it's because I've been in this city for almost 30 years and don't have an outsider perspective, but I do not know anybody from here who thinks of St. Louis as some kind of elite city that rivals Chicago (we may talk smack about the Cubs, but hell, it's the fucking Cubs).

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:07 am

it's not about being elite. it's just cliquey here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”