University of Washington at sticker - Worth it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MKC

Diamond

University of Washington at sticker - Worth it?

Post by MKC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:01 pm

3.25/166
The University of Washington is the highest ranked school I've been admitted to so far. I'm still waiting on a few schools, but I'm curious as to any information TLS might have on UW. I'm concerned about the lack of employment/salary data, as well as the portability of the degree. My goal is to come back to Kansas City and practice at one of the larger firms here. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dmini7

Silver

Re: University of Washington at sticker - Worth it?

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:17 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:3.25/166
The University of Washington is the highest ranked school I've been admitted to so far. I'm still waiting on a few schools, but I'm curious as to any information TLS might have on UW. I'm concerned about the lack of employment/salary data, as well as the portability of the degree. My goal is to come back to Kansas City and practice at one of the larger firms here. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you're not from Washington, and have no ties/interest to stay there, I would suggest avoiding the school. I definitely would not pay sticker considering you want to return to Kansas City. With that said, I am not really familiar of what the smart move would be to do to get into midwest markets. I just do not believe Washington would have any real portability beyond the borders of its state.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:47 pm

UW is no better than many much lower-ranked state schools. Its top 20 ranking is a total flame.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:00 pm

What are your other acceptances/schools you may be waiting on? Are any with money?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:01 pm

You'll probably get into WUSTL, go there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
What are your other acceptances/schools you may be waiting on? Are any with money?
Still waiting on:

Cornell
BU
Emory
William and Mary

Accepted at:
UA (no merit aid info yet)
KU (10k/year, leaves $5,000 tuition in-state)
UMKC (likely full scholly, haven't seen package yet)
Tulane (25K/year)
Cordozo (30k/year)

Waitlisted at:
Notre Dame
Iowa (likely acceptance, spoke to Dean of admissions who said that I would already be admitted if it was up to him, but there's a committee)

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Dude why didnt you apply to WUSTL? It's in the same state as KC and it's the best school in the state.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:24 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
Still waiting on:

Cornell
BU
Emory
William and Mary

Accepted at:
UA (no merit aid info yet)
KU (10k/year, leaves $5,000 tuition in-state)
UMKC (likely full scholly, haven't seen package yet)
Tulane (25K/year)
Cordozo (30k/year)

Waitlisted at:
Notre Dame
Iowa (likely acceptance, spoke to Dean of admissions who said that I would already be admitted if it was up to him, but there's a committee)
Go to KU. You will SAVE MONEY.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:25 pm

I am honestly quite shocked KU did not offer you full tuition. I would try to negotiate to up that to a full ride if you really wanted to stay in Kansas(even though their placement into KC isn't amazing as far as I understand). I would avoid UMKC, I assume they are like the TTT i applied to as a safety and have a very harsh stipulation to keep the scholarship. Unfortunately, unless you get into Cornell(to a lesser extent possibly BU) most of these schools won't get you back to KC unless you are top of your class. With that said, it sounds like you have ties to the area, so it may work out differently for your situation. Of your acceptances so far though after KU, UA makes the most sense to me assuming you receive a favorable scholarship. Also, I agree, why didn't you apply to WUSTL?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Crowing wrote:UW is no better than many much lower-ranked state schools. Its top 20 ranking is a total flame.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:26 pm

KC firms are gonna flock to UW in DROVES due to top 20 status.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Washington at sticker with hopes for Kansas City big or mid-law?

I honestly have no idea, but I think you need a school with a great regional or national reputation. Washington doesn't have either of those. I'd only attend that school if you are set on a career in that region.

Probably even more important is to cultivate some serious ties with local attorneys at the firms where you'd like to one day work. In a smaller market like KC, I'd be surprised if there are more than 10-15 "big" or "mid" firms. You should make contacts now and try to get someone to hook you up with a 1L SA.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 pm

dr123 wrote:Dude why didnt you apply to WUSTL? It's in the same state as KC and it's the best school in the state.
First, although this should be a relatively minor reason, I fucking hate St. Louis. I have no desire to spend three years of my life there. Second, their employment stats are mediocre relative to their ranking. I knew Washington's employment stats were too, but they sent me a fee waiver, which is the same reason I applied to some of the other schools on that list. A lot of those were intended for scholarship negotiations.

I'm asking about Washington because I'm wondering if it's a viable option. If I get off the waitlist at Iowa, that is my default as of this moment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm

You might want to retake the LSAT bud. I'd be willing to bet there aren't that many SA spots in all of Kansas City. I guarantee you there will be T14 students from your town gunning for those spots. You need to be one of them.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:45 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
dr123 wrote:Dude why didnt you apply to WUSTL? It's in the same state as KC and it's the best school in the state.
First, although this should be a relatively minor reason, I fucking hate St. Louis. I have no desire to spend three years of my life there. Second, their employment stats are mediocre relative to their ranking. I knew Washington's employment stats were too, but they sent me a fee waiver, which is the same reason I applied to some of the other schools on that list. A lot of those were intended for scholarship negotiations.

I'm asking about Washington because I'm wondering if it's a viable option. If I get off the waitlist at Iowa, that is my default as of this moment.
You do realize that overall employment score is meaningless when you're talking about state schools right? Iowa may have a higher employment score than WUSTL, but I guarantee you WUSTL does better in Missouri.

Honestly Mizzou is a better option than anything you currently have available. I don't understand your application strategy.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:12 am

You want to practice in KC and you don't have T14 grades. You have two options: Retake or go to a local school with a good scholly. Absolutely 100% do not go to Washington. It would make zero sense because you don't plan on practicing there. As a 3L let me tell you that schools are much more regional than anyone here can explain to you and Wash will give you no better chance at getting a job in KC than KU or UoMissouri, etc. I would apply to UM - Columbia, UM - KC, KU and WUSTL as the ONLY options you need to consider (assuming retake isn't an option). Negotiate scholarships and go to cheapest one or go to WUSTL if you're not debt adverse or have rich parents.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:14 am

Retaking is the ONLY option.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:24 am

Hey man, I'm from KC and I'm dealing with STL for 3 years. Yeah, it blows, but who cares? My goal was to get back to KC and do our version of biglaw. I could have gone to KU with $$, but I chose WUSTL with $. I ended up getting a 1L SA at one of the big firms, I'm heading back there this summer, and that has basically paid for the price difference between KU and WUSTL. Your margin of error coming from KU, Mizzou, UMKC etc. is very low -- you need to be in the top 10%, and even then it's no guarantee.

As for U Wash.... just no. KC firms will need a very good explanation for why you ventured all the way out there just to come back here. And if your grades are mediocre, forget about it.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 am

BarbellDreams wrote:You want to practice in KC and you don't have T14 grades. You have two options: Retake or go to a local school with a good scholly. Absolutely 100% do not go to Washington. It would make zero sense because you don't plan on practicing there. As a 3L let me tell you that schools are much more regional than anyone here can explain to you and Wash will give you no better chance at getting a job in KC than KU or UoMissouri, etc. I would apply to UM - Columbia, UM - KC, KU and WUSTL as the ONLY options you need to consider (assuming retake isn't an option). Negotiate scholarships and go to cheapest one or go to WUSTL if you're not debt adverse or have rich parents.
My wife and I are 31 and putting off kids until I graduate from law school. I cannot wait another year. If were younger I would retake, but I don't have the luxury of time. My LSAC GPA is fucked due to grades from 1999-2001. My GPA from 2011-graduation (last 81 credit hours) is a 3.9. I know the difference with an upward trend is marginal, but it's something. I didn't apply to MU because I live in Kansas, and it's out of state. Considering MU's numbers, KU seemed preferable because I wouldn't have to move. My wife's uncle is a successful local attorney, and I know the top partner of a firm in town with ~70 attorneys in Kansas City. I've spoken to him about this already, and I'll speak to him again once everything is set in stone. I figure his opinion is as valid as anything, being that I'll probably be asking him for a job in the future.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:34 am

FWIW, I'm married too and I dragged my wife out here. She wasn't crazy about it, but my expected income for the next few years has mollified her.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:06 am

I was completely in love with Seattle and wanted UW more than anything a few cycles ago. But I had to say no to UW at sticker. It would be a disaster.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GM544

New

Post by GM544 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 am

cinephile wrote:I was completely in love with Seattle and wanted UW more than anything a few cycles ago. But I had to say no to UW at sticker. It would be a disaster.
I am also in love with Seattle and want UW more than anything. Plus, I'm from WA and intend to stay here. But...I'm curious...Is it possible to go to UW and not pay sticker? My understanding from LSN is that they give out next to nothing in aid. Please someone tell me I'm wrong.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:57 am

GM544 wrote:
cinephile wrote:I was completely in love with Seattle and wanted UW more than anything a few cycles ago. But I had to say no to UW at sticker. It would be a disaster.
I am also in love with Seattle and want UW more than anything. Plus, I'm from WA and intend to stay here. But...I'm curious...Is it possible to go to UW and not pay sticker? My understanding from LSN is that they give out next to nothing in aid. Please someone tell me I'm wrong.
Yeah, actually. I eventually got them to meet my offer at BU for half tuition, but by then it was mid-summer and kind of late for me to change my mind. Of course, this was a couple years ago.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:56 am

Is Kansas City in Kansas or Missouri? I should probably know this.

Anyway yes, this application strategy makes no sense to me. It's got to be WUSTL or T14 or cheap state school I would think. Because of that a retake is in order. I'm old too and I put off for a cycle therefore I know what it is like and I know it is totally doable. May not be ideal but if you waited until you were 30 or 31 to take the LSAT and you wanted to go that cycle then that was just poor planning on your part. I don't see why you would take one poor judgement call and allow it to snowball into an even bigger one.

And what is so bad about St. Louis?

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:Is Kansas City in Kansas or Missouri? I should probably know this.
It straddles the state line. Our friend here is from the Kansas side, probably Johnson County.
BigZuck wrote: And what is so bad about St. Louis?
When you're used to living in KC, STL is annoying. People in Saint Louis think they're basically as good as Chicago, which is absurd. They think everything west of them is the boonies, including kansas city. In reality, STL is a decaying, racially-divided and sad town with just enough culture (cardinals, forest park, etc) to put a brave face on it. Kansas City is a vibrant city that still retains the friendly atmosphere of a small town. But if you try to say any of this to someone from STL, they assume you're jealous, though they've never actually been to KC.

Also, KC has some of the best BBQ in the country. STL natives wrongly assume that their mediocre Bogarts and Pappy's are the bee's knees.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”