IvyGrad/BigLaw: Law School Worst Decision in Life

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
firstpagegrad

IvyGrad/BigLaw: Law School Worst Decision in Life

Postby firstpagegrad » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:35 am

If he could do it all again, he wouldn't.

"Going to law school was the biggest mistake of my life," he says. "Yes, absolutely the worst decision I've ever made. It's not a complete mistake, I just wish I'd gone about it differently. I probably would have gone to a lower ranked school with a bigger scholarship. I would have also gone to business school maybe. It's one year shorter."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/law-scho ... ake-2013-1

cinephile

Re: IvyGrad/BigLaw: Law School Worst Decision in Life

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:38 am

And he's one of the lucky ones; at least he has a job.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:42 am

Perhaps the sentiment / salient point is real, but this is up there for one of the worst articles I've ever read.

Anyone else agree?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:26 pm

I can't remember the last time I read an article that was as bad as this one.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:I can't remember the last time I read an article that was as bad as this one.

:lol:

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:48 pm

toothbrush wrote:Perhaps the sentiment / salient point is real, but this is up there for one of the worst articles I've ever read.

Anyone else agree?

It read like an article from The Onion.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Funny thing is.. that dude thinks he would like his job better if he went to B-school. Wrong. Corporate jobs are all boring. If he wanted some excitement he should've been a fire fighter.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:55 pm

I don't think this article needed to be written.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:54 pm

I want the time back I spent reading this article

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:49 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:I want the time back I spent reading this article

30 seconds ? It took longer to load.. that was the first warning.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Some guy with no concrete ideas about what he actually wants to do professionally ("Maybe I should have gotten an MBA instead" = no fucking idea) who thinks he deserves to be paid lots of money to do something he finds interesting at 25, 26, 27. Cool.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:06 pm

This was my favorite part:

"I'm pretty sure they're about to find me out. I mean I'm not really a lawyer: I'm a moron. If you task me with anything that is remotely important, because I couldn't care less about it, I'm not going to be able to do it and everyone will get mad at me — so before I get found out I have to leave," he says. "Right now I have a good reputation there, but it's going to turn sour in another month or two."

This is something I feel like almost anyone who's had any position of responsibility can identify with. It's terrifying and real and human. And honestly, I wish people discussed this sort of thing more, because then we could all feel safe in knowing that we have no idea what we're doing rather than think you're just the outlier and all your colleagues are so much more secure.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:13 pm

cinephile wrote:This was my favorite part:

"I'm pretty sure they're about to find me out. I mean I'm not really a lawyer: I'm a moron. If you task me with anything that is remotely important, because I couldn't care less about it, I'm not going to be able to do it and everyone will get mad at me — so before I get found out I have to leave," he says. "Right now I have a good reputation there, but it's going to turn sour in another month or two."

This is something I feel like almost anyone who's had any position of responsibility can identify with. It's terrifying and real and human. And honestly, I wish people discussed this sort of thing more, because then we could all feel safe in knowing that we have no idea what we're doing rather than think you're just the outlier and all your colleagues are so much more secure.

I can definitely relate to this.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:00 am

cinephile wrote:This was my favorite part:

Hell, I felt like that during my SA summer and I barely got anything that was all that important to do.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:05 am

Except that a lower ranked school with a bigger scholarship probably would have prevented him from getting biglaw.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:30 am

dextermorgan wrote:Except that a lower ranked school with a bigger scholarship probably would have prevented him from getting biglaw.

I think that was his point. That he'd be happier graduating with less debt, even if he got a different job that didn't pay nearly as much.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:33 am

That guy is not saying anything different from the handful of people I know that are in Biglaw. Despite the high pay, associate turnover is 75% after 5 years. From what I gather, about half of that is people leaving on their own, and the other half is people getting pushed out.

How bad does a job have to be to turn down $200K/year in an industry where the people that even make it as a lawyer average about $100K in salary long-term?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:35 am

JCougar wrote:That guy is not saying anything different from the handful of people I know that are in Biglaw. Despite the high pay, associate turnover is 75% after 5 years. From what I gather, about half of that is people leaving on their own, and the other half is people getting pushed out.

How bad does a job have to be to turn down $200K/year in an industry where the people that even make it as a lawyer average about $100K in salary long-term?

what are you asking? why do people leave biglaw?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 am

fatduck wrote:
JCougar wrote:That guy is not saying anything different from the handful of people I know that are in Biglaw. Despite the high pay, associate turnover is 75% after 5 years. From what I gather, about half of that is people leaving on their own, and the other half is people getting pushed out.

It was a rhetorical question.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:19 pm

JCougar wrote:
fatduck wrote:

It was a rhetorical question.

Because it's the one plausible outcome that allows people to service the colossal debt load? BigLaw is grueling work, but it pays the (large) bills. I'm 0L so I know exactly shit, but I honestly think it's something that I would be fine with. I'm already used to working really long hours, it's the just responsibility that is daunting.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:22 pm

[quote="NoodleyOne" It allows people to service the colossal debt load? BigLaw is grueling work, but it pays the (large) bills. I'm 0L so I know exactly shit, but I honestly think it's something that I would be fine with. I'm already used to working really long hours, it's the just responsibility that is daunting.[/quote]

I thought the problem was that it was simultaneously stressful and boring, so you get the worst of all possible worlds.

firstpagegrad

Postby firstpagegrad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 pm

cinephile wrote:[quote="NoodleyOne" It allows people to service the colossal debt load? BigLaw is grueling work, but it pays the (large) bills. I'm 0L so I know exactly shit, but I honestly think it's something that I would be fine with. I'm already used to working really long hours, it's the just responsibility that is daunting.

I thought the problem was that it was simultaneously stressful and boring, so you get the worst of all possible worlds.[/quote]

Don't forget that most of the people are really unpleasant, too. So you have the trifecta of misery.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”