Hamilton/Rubenstein c/o 2016

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sinfiery

Re: Hamilton/Rubenstein c/o 2016

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 pm

USAIRS wrote:I don't want to derail this thread, but you really couldn't be more wrong with respect to hiring practices for non-political entry level career attorney positions in federal agencies. We don't live in communist russia where some professor who used to work in a political appointment can leverage his prior connections into a job for you as a career government attorney. Especially if that political position was something in the white house. Whether it is DOL, SEC, HUD, DOD, DOJ, or any other common agency that does entry-level hiring, the entry-level hiring decisions are made primarily by other career employees who are simply looking for the most qualified candidate. This is a really obvious point that I'd expect anyone paying attention to know, but the COA clerkship, with the outstanding credentials it implies, would pretty much guarantee a spot somewhere in the federal government, if the candidate applied broadly enough. Having a recommendation from a political appointee, absent the same types of credentials, is not really worth much.

In addition, I'd say there isn't any discernable bump for going to Harvard over almost any top 10 school. With so many factors going into hiring, such as commitment to the practice area or to government, fit, journal work, publications, legal experience, internships, pre-law experience, interviews, and grades, I'm willing to say that the decision will basically never come down to which school you went to among these schools.

Thank you for this.

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Declined the Hamilton today after attending the YLS and HLS ASWs. It hurts me a little to do it, but CLS just didn't feel quite right...

domino

Postby domino » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Same, really hurt to turn it down but gotta follow your heart.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Interesting. Any other Haniltons made a decision?

Seems like HYS are doing especially well this cycle at winning over hammys/rubys.

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:15 pm

I deposited at Chicago. I liked Harvard more but honestly there's some really awesome things I could do with $1000 a month for the next ten years of my life. I'm looking forward to enjoying that

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:31 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Interesting. Any other Haniltons made a decision?

Seems like HYS are doing especially well this cycle at winning over hammys/rubys.

bernaldiaz wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:Congrats to everyone who made a decision. I'm confident all of you did the right thing for you after much deliberation.

When is the Hamilton deadline?

You should make a poll with four options-- got ruby accepted, declined, got hammy accepted, declined. Would be interested to see the numbers

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:43 pm

I also saw a couple Ruby's deposit at Chicago during ASW, it just seems those who did didn't return to this thread to announce their decision. For me, I spoke with several senior practicing attorneys including those in govt (regional ttt), public interest (Upenn grad), a general counsel (UMich grad), and an academic (Harvard grad). All but the non-t14 one said take the money and enjoy life because nothing would be substantially different between the schools (except that people outside the profession wouldn't automatically assume you're brilliant). It stings A WHOLE HELLUVA LOT to turn down Harvard but 13 years from now when I'm in my mid 30s I figure I'll look at the scrapbook of cool vacations I took with 100k and grin. But if I weren't so insanely debt averse I likely woulda gone to H instead. Only time will tell. Good luck everyone else, it was fun

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:Interesting. Any other Haniltons made a decision?

bernaldiaz wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:Congrats to everyone who made a decision. I'm confident all of you did the right thing for you after much deliberation.

When is the Hamilton deadline?

You should make a poll with four options-- got ruby accepted, declined, got hammy accepted, declined. Would be interested to see the numbers

Wouldn't the sample size be tiny though? There were about 40 Rubys at ASW and I wonder how many are on TLS. I would be interested to know the yield tho. How many Hamilton's are given a year?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”