TFA or Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wert3813

Re: TFA or Law School

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjparson

Postby rjparson » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:47 am

wert3813 wrote:
rjparson wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
Also, I'll just say this. "prominent region" sounds like NY, Chicago, SF, DC, etc. I'm in a city with no trouble attracting teachers. Something like 70 teachers applied to the job I got due to TFA. Many were way more qualified. Just know that depending on where you are, you aren't necessarily taking a job that the school would have trouble filling. Of course, the irony is many of the places that actually need TFA (Delta, Indian Reservations, Rio Grande) TFAs don't want to go either.

I actually meant one of those three regions, I guess what I should have said is prominent based on its prominence in the application process.

Good. Know that at a minimum that first year will be absurdly hard and draining. And if you don't want to teach (think about the mechanics of teaching-grading, lesson planning, lping again and again, meetings) then it's a bad idea. However, if you are in the Delta, which I think you are, you do have an amazing capacity to matter to others. Just don't make this decision lightly.

Also depending on when institute starts taking the LSAT this June could be a real problem. But, I also could not imagine studying for it during the school year.

Couldn't I take the LSAT during the summer between my two years? I think with the institute's schedule this June is out of the question.

And yes, I would be in (and am from) MS.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:19 pm

hallbd16

Postby hallbd16 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:47 pm

polareagle wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
NinerFan wrote:Do TFA and see how the legal economy is in 2 years.

+1. All things equal, there is no reason to turn down a job you're interested in to go to law school now. If you think you'd like TFA, then go do it, and then see where life takes you. If you still want to go to law school after then try to break 170 and reapply. I just don't see the benefit to not taking the teaching position.

As a current 2nd year corps member, I would say that you really need to want to teach (at least for two years) in order to have a positive TFA experience. Note, I did not say you need to be committed to ending educational inequality, though that helps too, you need to want to teach. It is very hard to figure out how you'll respond to teaching until you've done it, and it will be a huge psychic burden either way.

Put it this way, I know a not insignificant number of other corps members who've faced severe depression issues and dropped out. I can guarantee you that joining TFA and dropping out will put you in a much worse position when applying for law school.

I also can't fathom studying for the LSAT during my commitment. Power to those of you who managed it, my first year I was at school from 7am to 9pm and brining work home pretty much every day until March.

If you want to teach and help kids, there is no more positive experience than TFA, and it will have a great impact on the rest of your life, but if you are not 100% into it, you will end up spending two of the potentially most fun years of your life utterly miserable (not my experience--I've been happy overall--but not an uncommon experience either).

+1
I am a TFA alumn, this is hands on accurate and the right advice. Another plus about TFA for me, was the people in TFA were an unbelievable group of people. People you actually want to be around.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 pm

A couple of thoughts. Current high school administrator, tfa alum (2010 CM) applied to law school last year only to defer for a year to return to work in a high school in the same area I taught.
You have to want to teach. I agree with a few of the above posters: desire to end educational inequality is not the same as teaching.

Make sure you are serious about the time commitment involved. The idea that you would have more time to study for the lsat compared to another job is laughable. You can do it, sure, but it'll be time consuming. I did it last fall, during which time I had 3 preps and was also in masters courses (which most regions now require). I had no life. For 6 months. If that's okay with you, then do it. But don't underestimate the time commitment.

The regions you now specified make me want to warn you: be careful what you wish for. I do TFA in a great vibrant city. I know at least 3 people who did TFA in rural areas, Indiana reservations, Delta, etc. who dropped out after their first year because they couldn't handle it. You may think you're being a "hero" by going to one of these regions that they recruit heavily for (not saying you think this), but just understand what you're getting yourself into. In a place like the Delta, your school and apartment may be 30 miles away from other corps members and any assemblance of a city. Make sure you understand what you're getting into.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:11 pm

rjparson

Postby rjparson » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:30 pm

wert3813 wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:A couple of thoughts. Current high school administrator, tfa alum (2010 CM) applied to law school last year only to defer for a year to return to work in a high school in the same area I taught.
You have to want to teach. I agree with a few of the above posters: desire to end educational inequality is not the same as teaching.

Make sure you are serious about the time commitment involved. The idea that you would have more time to study for the lsat compared to another job is laughable. You can do it, sure, but it'll be time consuming. I did it last fall, during which time I had 3 preps and was also in masters courses (which most regions now require). I had no life. For 6 months. If that's okay with you, then do it. But don't underestimate the time commitment.

The regions you now specified make me want to warn you: be careful what you wish for. I do TFA in a great vibrant city. I know at least 3 people who did TFA in rural areas, Indiana reservations, Delta, etc. who dropped out after their first year because they couldn't handle it. You may think you're being a "hero" by going to one of these regions that they recruit heavily for (not saying you think this), but just understand what you're getting yourself into. In a place like the Delta, your school and apartment may be 30 miles away from other corps members and any assemblance of a city. Make sure you understand what you're getting into.

Couldn't imagine having three preps and doing really anything else, let alone LSAT and masters. Op did say he was from Mississippi which reassured me somewhat.

The Delta doesn't require a masters program, and I already have a graduate degree so I probably wouldn't pursue one if its offered.

I live in a town that has a few CMs at the moment and I'm familiar with the other cities Delta CMs tend to live in, so I'm not too worried about day to day life.

Re: wanting to teach, how do I "know" if I'd want to in practice? I've taught a couple courses at the college level but I have no illusions about there being any similarity.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:48 pm

rjparson

Postby rjparson » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Hey all,

Just as a general question, would I (any of us) be better off waiting a couple years regardless in light of the NYT article that came out today? (Discussed here)?

Obviously this is only one variable to consider, but is there a general consensus about what direction that legal education market is moving towards?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm

Jose Reyes

Postby Jose Reyes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 am

hibiki wrote:Do TFA and study for the LSAT. Graduating at 30 w/ less debt or a degree from HYS will be better than graduating at 28 w/ loads of debt from a general T14

Yes.

Law school will always be there. Go ahead and do TFA, retake, and enjoy HYS.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”