Need honest advice on what to do

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
suralin
better than you

Re: Need honest advice on what to do

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:36 am

romothesavior wrote:OP asked for honest advice, and the best advice is none of these. Retake and rethink it, and reapply next year if he still wants to go. OP seems a bit uninformed on the whole law school and legal market thing, but otherwise seems open to ideas and advice. He's not being irrational and saying "I'm going NO MATTER WHAT!" like some buffoons on here. Advising Chapman just makes no sense here, at all.

OP, go toy around on LST and look at the data. Then go to the LSAT forum and check out the guides, community, and resources TLS has to offer. Then go retake and reapply and do this thing right. You owe it to your future self.

+1

linquest

Postby linquest » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm

I don't think you should go to law school straight out of college either given your generic background. But, if you ignore the advice, of the schools you've been accepted to so far, I'd say that St. John's is your best choice.

There is absolutely no reason for you to attend these schools:
American University- ACCEPTED one-time $10,000. Award
Catholic University-ACCEPTED $18,500.00 a year
Villanova- ACCEPTED
Chapman- ACCEPTED-FULL Tuition
Albany- ACCEPTED- FULL Tuition
Drexel – ACCEPTED- - FULL Tuition
Loyola New Orleans- ACCEPTED- FULL Tuition
Suffolk- ACCEPTED
University of Mississippi
Florida State-applied
Temple- ACCEPTED
Brooklyn law School- ACCEPTED
Loyola Chicago-ACCEPTED
University of Miami-ACCEPTED- $20,000.00 a year
Penn State-ACCEPTED-$20,000.00 a year

The schools that are higher ranked than St. John's (i.e. American) aren't worth the higher cost/debt to you. Loyola won't help you much with any of your goals, plus it's in a small city and doesn't have much of a reputation outside the region. Hofstra might be a contender ONLY if the scholarship stips at St. John's are ridiculous. I have friends and co-workers who went to SJ that told me they do section-stack scholarship recipients.

I went to Northeastern. I would not recommend it for a K-JD-er (that means "Kindergarden to JD" for someone who has no WE)*. Northeastern does not negotiate scholarships. You may PM me for more info on it.

* (though I pretty much tell everyone not to go straight from college to law school unless they get a full scholly to an Ivy League LS)

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:50 pm

linquest wrote:I don't think you should go to law school straight out of college either given your generic background. But, if you ignore the advice, of the schools you've been accepted to so far, I'd say that St. John's is your best choice.

Villanova- ACCEPTED
Suffolk- ACCEPTED
Florida State-applied
Temple- ACCEPTED
Loyola Chicago-ACCEPTED

The schools that are higher ranked than St. John's (i.e. American) aren't worth the higher cost/debt to you. Loyola won't help you much with any of your goals, plus it's in a small city and doesn't have much of a reputation outside the region. Hofstra might be a contender ONLY if the scholarship stips at St. John's are ridiculous. I have friends and co-workers who went to SJ that told me they do section-stack scholarship recipients.

I went to Northeastern. I would not recommend it for a K-JD-er (that means "Kindergarden to JD" for someone who has no WE)*. Northeastern does not negotiate scholarships. You may PM me for more info on it.

* (though I pretty much tell everyone not to go straight from college to law school unless they get a full scholly to an Ivy League LS)

Lol what? You would recommend somebody to go to law school if they got a full scholarship to Cornell, but not if the scholly's for U Chicago or NYU or UVA?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:53 pm

Suralin wrote:
linquest wrote:I don't think you should go to law school straight out of college either given your generic background. But, if you ignore the advice, of the schools you've been accepted to so far, I'd say that St. John's is your best choice.

Villanova- ACCEPTED
Suffolk- ACCEPTED
Florida State-applied
Temple- ACCEPTED
Loyola Chicago-ACCEPTED

Lol what? You would recommend somebody to go to law school if they got a full scholarship to Cornell, but not if the scholly's for U Chicago or NYU or UVA?

Those public school law diplomas aren't worth the paper they are printed on

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:58 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Suralin wrote:

Villanova- ACCEPTED
Suffolk- ACCEPTED
Florida State-applied
Temple- ACCEPTED
Loyola Chicago-ACCEPTED

:lol:

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Suralin wrote:

Villanova- ACCEPTED
Suffolk- ACCEPTED
Florida State-applied
Temple- ACCEPTED
Loyola Chicago-ACCEPTED

still better than penn and sandusky

linquest

Postby linquest » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:46 am

C'mon guys, I'd recommend Princeton Law School over UVA/UM ;)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”